2 years in....

Old Apr 24th 2010, 11:39 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 years in....

2years in…
It’s a long one….

Cannot believe its been 2 years already, its flown by, but also feels like we’ve been here for years and years – in a good way.
Seems a lifetime ago we were planning this, and since the 6 of us landed with our million cases.

We sorted a long term rental and Martins 1st job within 2weeks, very luckily, and we’re still in the rental now, with very nice landlords who are being very patient with us as we try to get our house built.
We didn’t bring much moneywise and didn’t ship much either and pretty much started our whole lives from scratch.
Martin got retrenched (laid off) 3 times and really struggled to get manufacturing work (he’s a toolmaker) he spent time at Bunnings – cos a job is a job…he even did roadie work – built the Andre Rui stage, and DJ work (although he’d have done that for free) then he tried sales but isn’t thick skinned enough and has finally got back into a toolmaker role which he loves.
I went back to work once our youngest started school, went back to being a chef which I hadn’t done for 10years, 6yrs if you count part time work, it was a massive shock adjusting to the standards, and trying to enforce things – there isn’t a true food safety act here, only guidelines/recommendations, its bloody scary in some places!
I used to complain the UK was over regulated in hospitality – well once you’ve been back to the dark ages you realise that that regulation is a necessity. Larger companies are pretty good (IMO) it’s the smaller establishments that have no documentation/record keeping/specs etc . I worked harder and for longer, on a positive I earned more here as a sous chef than I ever earned in the UK.
I went to TAFE to get training & assessment qualifications – UK ones don’t count, and got the position I have now – which I love – a barista trainer, training people how to make coffee.
And I have a life – in the last 3 mths I’ve seen and done more than in the rest of the 2 years.
We’re building our dream home (taking longer than anticipated or promised) thanks to the grant from the government.

Our kids have all settled well, the teens have had issues, nothing to do with Australia as they were as bad in the uk – and we’re on first name terms with plenty of cops now, both teens quit school, have moved out, so home life is much easier/quieter, both are happily settled, working and have huge circles of mates….they have never really hung round with any English kids, mainly just aussies. We see them regularly, and at almost 19 and 18 they are living their own lives now.
Little kids have also settled really well, do surf club/swimming, starting dance classes, both have great social lives – better than ours at times.
We have the massive added bonus of having my mum over most of the time so as well as helping us with childcare we don’t have the massive guilt pangs for leaving her.

We’ve used the healthcare here, and found it to be fantastic, lil man has had stitches and xrays, oldest daughter has had scans, xrays, ct, bloods etc and never had to wait more than 4weeks for appointments with the consultant, Martin n I have been in A&E a few times each (me & knives don’t go well – no idea why I became a chef) and I went in because of my knee (those who know us know I have a horrific knee injury) the follow up I’ve had is amazing, as I’m so interesting (my knee not me) the top ortho surgeons are fighting over me, seen 5 and most want to cut me open for a better look! (got private drs wanting to work my case with no fees for me)
Dentist is proving expensive but not as expensive as private healthcare cover costs.

Summer is hot hot hot (love it) and winter can get pretty cold, autumn and spring are lovely, wildlife and greenery come to life, its cooler but not cold…inside is colder than outside!

We’ve had visitors, been fantastic but horrible when they leave – worse than the first goodbyes.

We had it bought home to us that it’s not who you expect to lose that you do lose, when we were saying our goodbyes we expected to lose grandparents/elderly rellies and made the decision (with them) not to go back, but we lost my nephew in our first year here. Leaving goodbyes are meant to be “see you later’s”. Nothing compares to the pain/helplessness and nothing helps.
We’re not planning on visiting the UK anytime soon, but if we got a lotto win I’d go back just for hugs…hell if I got a lotto win I’d fly them all here.

We now have a loopy aussie dog and 2 aussie cats, they’re totally part of the family. (Sadly we lost our beautiful cat we shipped over, to the road).
Our lives are much richer here – we go out as a family so much more, walking/bike riding/swimming/beach/animal parks amongst other things, we have more opportunity to do more here – and the weather is more reliable, days out cost less. Facilities are better when we’re out, toilets, parking, access etc, camping is great – we loved it in the UK too, we reckon its cleaner and tidier here – there’s graffiti etc but nothing on the scale of what we saw in Cheltenham.

We’ve had plenty of spiders, lizards and bird encounters but thankfully no snakes – well only dead ones. Martin, mum and the teens have had spider bites, only Jake needed to go to hospital as his got infected.

All in all, we are happily settled, it is hard work, it is different to the UK, just cos they talk English doesn’t mean they’re English, it’s a whole new world here, (when in rome do as the romans etc) accept Australia for what it is and it’ll be good to you. It takes years to build up the friendships and bonds in the UK, so we know we are incredibly lucky to have made the friends here that we have.
We’re planning ahead, the new house, my brother moving over with his family, going on holiday (Tassie) and really looking forward to summer again…

Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 years in....

It is so nice to hear your update.Im sure it hasnt all been plain sailing but you came out the other side stronger.Hopefully your teens will grow into fine young adults.The bit about saying goodbyes is so true.Im grateful for every day that my parents are still with us.(not here but in Ireland).Good luck and long may it continue.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update . I also can't believe it's already been two years. I remember all the hassles you had with getting permission to take the kids, then the knee injury, your troubles with the eldest when you first arrived - I am soooo pleased that it's all come together for you .

All the best with the house-build.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Great update, glad things are going well. Coming from Cheltenham myself can't say I agree about the graffiti but it's nice that you live in a less vandalised area now.

All the best for next two years
Old Apr 25th 2010, 9:01 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Bleedin hell stranger..thought you'd jacked it all in and gorn home

Glad it's all worked out for you in the end
Old Apr 25th 2010, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
Bleedin hell stranger..thought you'd jacked it all in and gorn home

Glad it's all worked out for you in the end
Wow, talk about strangers!!
Old Apr 25th 2010, 9:44 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

It's like a reunion of the Hesters way fan club in here...
Old Apr 25th 2010, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
It's like a reunion of the Hesters way fan club in here...

I'm an Up Hatherley Lass!! But I'll have you know the OH is Hesters Way... though he moved to Arle Farm but came good and eventually found his way to Up Hatherley but I still see him as my bit rough!

And Hesters Way has got nothing on you lot from Matson way
Old Apr 25th 2010, 9:03 pm
Account Closed

Kayelem is an unknown quantity at this point

Lovely update. We fly to Perth end of June and I am just going through the "are we doing the right thing stage" at the moment.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 1:27 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Im from bishops cleeve myself...

Some bits were grim as (coming from an escapee from whaddon-lived there when we came out of the army who went to arle) but on a whole i loved chelt/cleeve, now just the hills...and the people i left behind.

Trigger - how the devil are you?...and i am home
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:07 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Oi oi - nice update missus. Glad you've all found your niche - still searching for mine
Old Apr 27th 2010, 12:24 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

wow, thats an update!

great reading
Old Apr 27th 2010, 2:04 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Really enjoyed the update - fantastic read and congratulations
Old Apr 27th 2010, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely update.

Jo
Old May 6th 2010, 8:02 am
Running on the spot.

rugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to beholdrugbymad is a splendid one to behold

Hello Kat / Mart,

Been a long long time since I've been on here....but thought about it today and glad I found this thread.
Seems like yesterday sat in that pub beer garden with Martin getting sunburnt and drinking lots of lovely cold Guinness........happy days
Glad to know your all well and things have worked out for you all.

Best

Ian & Julie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.