Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

2 weeks on the Gold Coast

2 weeks on the Gold Coast

Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 2 weeks on the Gold Coast

G'day all,

Well we spent 4 days in Cairns, missed Peter and Jordan by 1 day Lovely to catch up with Bix and the missus. Sorry to those that I didn't manage to catch up with but time was short.

Arrive in Brisbane to lovely sunshine, not as humid a Cairns. Travelled down to our rental on Broadwater where our balcony overlooks the spit. This area is very busy but plenty to do with lots of shopping.

Finding a house is a bit of a nightmare, they are being snapped up very quickly and some are just too expensive. We have looked at Upper Coomera (nice and quiet), Pacific Pines (more built up but closer to the coast), Varsity Lakes (very modern looking with its own commuity area with shops etc, like a town within a town), Elanora (nice area with waterways etc).

I have brought a car, a Susuki Swift, lovely little car. OH is still looking.

Some bad news about our cat though. She is in Eastern Creek quaranteen in Sydney. I rang them earlier this week and they said she was at the vets. Apparently she got her foot caught on one of the toys (not sure how, they think she may have jumped/landed funny). Anyway, she must have been stuck for quite a while and was only found in the morning. She had xrays and she has dislocated her toe on the hind leg. It's very sore and and she doesn't have much sensation in it.

What has made me upset is that when rang yesterday the her assistant said that she isn't eating and she is depressed I am really conserned. I am goind to send up some treats and something that smells of me in the express post to see if that helps. A very worrying time for me as it's hard not being able to see her. They asked if I knew anyone in Sydney who could bring her some meat in (I told thems she doesn't like dried food the other day but they continued to try and feed it to her).

Anyway, we have travelled up to the sunshine coast and we booked into a motel in Caloundra last night. Thought we'd check it out and check the job situation up here. It seems that jobs are hard to come by up here but I am currently using the library at $1 an hour for internet. Oh has gone outside to ring a couple of jobs up. He has been offered a job on the Gold coast and 1 job just outside Forest Lakes. He is keeping his options open at the moment.

On the whole things are going ok apart from my lovely cat. Weather is lovely and warm and the sunshine is great after the cold of the uk. We have just got to find a rental, it's crazy because they are so few to go round. Saying that, so far so good

Oh, just a quick update, as I type oh has just came back to me and he is going to see a man about a job in Caloundra, wish him luck

Mandy
Old Jan 25th 2008, 1:02 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of
Default Re: 2 weeks on the Gold Coast

Good luck with the cat and job hunting - hope you're all glad to be back.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 4:52 am
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute

Hey good to hear from you

Sorry bout your cat, hope she is ok,

Good luck with your job and rental search
Old Jan 25th 2008, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to hear you are enjoying it so far. I can remember reading your posts before you went back to the UK so hope this time you settle ok. Hope you find a rental and job soon........could do with them both in the same area hey lol.

Amanda
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

melaniepittam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya Mandy and Ian

Great to hear it's going well (apart from the poor cat).

When we went on our reccie in May, I really liked Coloundra beach, so will be very interested to see how you get on.

We have actually made up our minds about coming out to Oz, at last, so if we end up in Brissie, will be great to meet up one day!!!

We have friends who live in Redcliffe and she is in need of some TLC (only been there a couple of months). It would be great to put you both in touch with each other!!!

Anyway, all the best and thinking of you.

Melanie
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the GC Mandy great to hear from you might see you at one of the meets!
Old Jan 25th 2008, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear that things are going well - apart from your poor cat. Hope that she perks up soon.

Good luck with the job hunting / car hunting / house hunting. You'll get there in the end.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:05 pm
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the Gold Coast, have lived in Varsity Lakes, nice school.

Kids still go there, if you want any other help holla at the coasters !!

Nick
Old Jan 26th 2008, 12:44 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Not many venture down this far. You should have given me a headsup, we could have met. Hope your OH gets whichever job he wants and you find a house close by.

Let us know where you end up
Old Jan 26th 2008, 8:11 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20 View Post
Not many venture down this far. You should have given me a headsup, we could have met. Hope your OH gets whichever job he wants and you find a house close by.

Let us know where you end up
Thought we were'nt going to let on how nice this end was anymore Pen!!!

Mandy, hope your cats ok, keep us informed. C x
Old Jan 26th 2008, 8:37 pm
Gold Coast and Loving it.

nick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond reputenick72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiels View Post
Thought we were'nt going to let on how nice this end was anymore Pen!!!

Mandy, hope your cats ok, keep us informed. C x
You're right, its rubbish down here !!

Don't come South of Helensvale..

Nick
Old Jan 26th 2008, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud ofDazza49 has much to be proud of

Hi,
Sorry about your cat hope he perks up soon.We live in pimpama which is off exit 49 and we are renting a brand new house.Its a new estate being built and there are alot of properties for rent. My OH works in brisbane and it takes him 45 mins to drive in, so we find where we live convenient because we are central for both brisbane and gold coast.
Hope all goes well with your cat, OH job and house hunting.

Ally
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, we are all still good. Currently using the internet in Helensvale Shopping Centre

Been very busy still looking for a house, although we loved the sunshine coast, the job wasn't what my husband wanted and the jobs seems very scarce for him so we are back down on the gold coast. He is going to take a job offered here.

Spoke to the vets and Maddie's injury seem to be healing well. I am going to ring again tomorrow.

Gotta go, internet about to run out, grrrrr, :curse:

Mandy
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Hya,
Great to hear you got there safely. Your cat will be back to him/herself when you reunite

So, are all these rentals on realestate are actually gone by the time you get to them??

Anyway, goodluck with the job and house hunt

sam xx
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:28 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

good luck with the cat mandy

oh and welcome

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.