Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

18mths,BAM!!!!! where did that go??

18mths,BAM!!!!! where did that go??

Old Jun 6th 2007, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

keithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant futurekeithandsam has a brilliant future
Default 18mths,BAM!!!!! where did that go??

hi everyone
well its nearly our 18mth anniversary and it still feels like yesterday since we arrived from a freezing uk to 30 degrees of heat after possibly the worst few weeks of our lives,no point beating about the bush,it`s certainly hard leaving!
we rented a place in runaway bay for a month and within that month we had found somewhere to rent(on pac pines),bought 2 cars,found schools and a job for hubbie.we were all set up.
well,honestly, life has been great,and we havent felt homesick at all.its all been a bit busy though so havent had time to miss anything really.
our 2 girls settled really quickly and have made some lovely friends and seem so much happier.
where are we now?
hubby is now on his third job,but seems quite happy with that. i am also working part time,not really doing what i would like but have met loads of lovely people,i seem to have struggled to get what i would really like.i think the men find it easier, one of the biggest shocks here,i think, was the wages,but you soon stop `converting` back to pounds.
we are currently building our own house on pacific pines,5beds,3 bathrooms and a pool, it`s great,we wouldn`t have been able to buy one like that though and certainly not in the uk. we have met lots of new friends,alot of them pommies though,you will find that you are still drawn to your `own kind` to start with.
we absolutely love the climate,and cant believe we have aclimatised and feel cold when it is 24 degrees, we definately have a more outdoor lifestyle and feel healthier for it.i wonder if we will ever take the beach for granted?
negatives?
wages, no daylight saving, not going on expats as much,not being able to pick up the phone to relatives when you want to.i honestly cant think of anymore!!
well good luck to you all,it was certainly the best decision we have ever made,i hope its the same for you.
(remind me of this,this time next year!!!)
sam
Old Jun 6th 2007, 7:10 pm
so far so good

want2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 18mths,BAM!!!!! where did that go??

Originally Posted by keithandsam
hi everyone
well its nearly our 18mth anniversary and it still feels like yesterday since we arrived from a freezing uk to 30 degrees of heat after possibly the worst few weeks of our lives,no point beating about the bush,it`s certainly hard leaving!
we rented a place in runaway bay for a month and within that month we had found somewhere to rent(on pac pines),bought 2 cars,found schools and a job for hubbie.we were all set up.
well,honestly, life has been great,and we havent felt homesick at all.its all been a bit busy though so havent had time to miss anything really.
our 2 girls settled really quickly and have made some lovely friends and seem so much happier.
where are we now?
hubby is now on his third job,but seems quite happy with that. i am also working part time,not really doing what i would like but have met loads of lovely people,i seem to have struggled to get what i would really like.i think the men find it easier, one of the biggest shocks here,i think, was the wages,but you soon stop `converting` back to pounds.
we are currently building our own house on pacific pines,5beds,3 bathrooms and a pool, it`s great,we wouldn`t have been able to buy one like that though and certainly not in the uk. we have met lots of new friends,alot of them pommies though,you will find that you are still drawn to your `own kind` to start with.
we absolutely love the climate,and cant believe we have aclimatised and feel cold when it is 24 degrees, we definately have a more outdoor lifestyle and feel healthier for it.i wonder if we will ever take the beach for granted?
negatives?
wages, no daylight saving, not going on expats as much,not being able to pick up the phone to relatives when you want to.i honestly cant think of anymore!!
well good luck to you all,it was certainly the best decision we have ever made,i hope its the same for you.
sam
lovely post sam great that you've settled well, hope we settle just aswell when we get there (hopefully) in a few months.
Old Jun 6th 2007, 9:01 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Great post Sam, sounds like you have settled in well. All the best for the coming years.

Joex
Old Jun 6th 2007, 9:50 pm
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

hi everyone
where are we now?
negatives?
sam
Great post Sam, completely agree about the wages and the cold.. I'm freezing at the moment and I'm sitting here with jeans and a hoodie on... brrrrrr..

We keep getting told "it's the price you pay for living on Sunshine Coast" when we say how rubbish the wages are... ah well, I know where I'd rather be!!

At least it's stopped raining today... I was beginning to feel like Noah with the amount of rain we've had here in the last 2 days.. I was gonna send Chopperboy out to the Shed of Miracles to build us an ark!!

Good luck with the house build!! If you need to arrange a builders clean when it's done.. i know just the bird!

Sonic x
Old Jun 7th 2007, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

hi everyone
where are we now?
negatives?
sam
WE have done more or less the same, built a lovely house, and now want to do it again, we have had our citizenship approved, just waiting on ceremony.
It is hard some days, but life is anyway, wherever you are.
All the very best
good luck with the build [that is added stress].
Denise xx
Old Jun 7th 2007, 5:20 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear you're loving it....... Long may it continue. C x
Old Jun 7th 2007, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

hi everyone
where are we now?
negatives?
sam
Hi Sam

18 months!!!!! seems like yesterday eh???

Won't be long til your in your new house and pool just in time for us to come to the house warming I reckon
Nxx
Old Jun 7th 2007, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

wow three 3 bathromms is that 1 to wee wee one to poop and one to wash ya hands, wow then a dip in the pool i dont know, how the other half live ay great post and hope you carry on enjoying your life down under
Old Jun 8th 2007, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi a great read and glad things have worked out so well for you and yours. Thanks for sharing.

Donna & Neil