Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

18 months in Perth and out of work

18 months in Perth and out of work

Old Mar 12th 2012, 9:51 am
MickyBhoy

mickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to all
Default 18 months in Perth and out of work

Hi Guys thought i would give another update on Perth been here 18 months and well its been hard but i think worth it.
Kids loving there new lifestyle dont want to go back to Scotland lol

The problem we have is i got made redundant and am finding it really hard to get another job we have PR which is good but trying to get another job is turning out to be more difficult than i thought.

I have even been trying to get jobs packing shelves and the say im to overqualified and wont last so they give it to someone else.

Mining companies wont entertain you if you dont have any experiance

Its amazing that you get the Western Australian on a Saturday and they have about 40 jobs and i cant get one ahhhhhhhhhh

So if any you guys are in Perth and need a Drafter, Project Manager please let me know

but as i said loving Perth and glad we made the move just be aware people its not as easy to get a job well in my case anyway

Mick
Old Mar 12th 2012, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Fiona67 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 18 months in Perth and out of work

Best of luck in finding a new job, keep your fingers toes and everything else crossed. Hope it all works out for you and your family.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 12:09 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickpower75
Hi Guys thought i would give another update on Perth been here 18 months and well its been hard but i think worth it.

The problem we have is i got made redundant and am finding it really hard to get another job we have PR which is good but trying to get another job is turning out to be more difficult than i thought.

I have even been trying to get jobs packing shelves and the say im to overqualified and wont last so they give it to someone else.

Its amazing that you get the Western Australian on a Saturday and they have about 40 jobs and i cant get one ahhhhhhhhhh

So if any you guys are in Perth and need a Drafter, Project Manager please let me know

but as i said loving Perth and glad we made the move just be aware people its not as easy to get a job well in my case anyway

Mick
Hi Mick

Been off work for a bit myself and have learned that each and every single job you apply for you send a different resume, whether that means 'dumbing it down' and playing down experience/omitting qualifications or bigging yourself up.

I have learned that rather than say 'small amount of experience in an area' you write 'Experience in that area'. It is all in the wording.

There is one thing on my resume that I have done only once and I got a job on that basis.

Seriously, get several resumes done - get some advice on how to re-write it as well, I have 2 recruitment agencies helping me and they have been great (yes you can get the odd one!).

But if you are going for a job that you are over qualified for then dumb down your resume, if you are going for something you have a bit of experience in then big it up.

Good luck, it can be so bloody hard.
Old Mar 13th 2012, 12:36 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Wishing you all the best in your job search. Keep your chin up and keep positive. Like yourself, I found that I'm overqualified for the majority of jobs and so employers won't even give me a look in. My day will come though! .... and as for stacking shelves well that is exactly what I now find myself doing but it's a job, only a few hours a week unfortunately but it helps me keep my dignity in terms of bringing money into the house, but it has to a degree undermined my sense of professional self-worth but I'm sure that's fixable in time. As others have said, have a variety of resumes available and at least you have the "australian experience" which does count for a lot!

Old Mar 23rd 2012, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Sea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to allSea Of Love is a name known to all

Hi Mick,
Have just been reading your update and thought I might make a suggestion about finding a job. Have you ever thought of going into Real Estate? I am not sure about Perth but in NSW/Vic it is a 5 day course and then you can go straight into it working as a fully operational agent. maybe you could look into the requirements of Perth?

It is a 24/7 kind of job and you only get out as much as you put in, but it is very rewarding if you put a lot of effort in. Most people that go into it do it as a career change at an 'older' age, which is actually beneficial because not many people want to put their biggest asset in the hands of some ditzy 18 year old, even if they have more Real Estate experience than someone older.

Just something you may want to look into, as it's very easy to pick up a job!
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 8:41 am

Figment has a brilliant futureFigment has a brilliant futureFigment has a brilliant futureFigment has a brilliant futureFigment has a brilliant futureFigment has a brilliant futureFigment has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mickpower75

Mick
Hi Mick

are you a drafter or a project manager? and in what field? Even so have you tried the watercorporation.
I landed a job before i left blighty, (was very lucky right time and place) been there 3 months now and loving the benefits. I am in the Civil Engineering ? Asset management field

Got the job through Hays who were very good

good luck
Old Apr 24th 2012, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Ilene is just really niceIlene is just really niceIlene is just really niceIlene is just really niceIlene is just really niceIlene is just really niceIlene is just really niceIlene is just really nice

Hi

I would have thought you would be able to diverse a bit go into estimating or buying with your back ground or as a previous thread said change career as you are PR and not restricted, have you thought of freelancing as a drafter? easy for us to say but we are not in your boots
I have a job offer from an agency who supply refineries and mining Co and hope to be in Perth by the end of May.
good luck hope yoou find something soon.
Old Apr 29th 2012, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

kevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the roughkevncarlz is a jewel in the rough

Hi Mick
Hope you have found a job by now good luck if not just keep sending CVs in as this WA (wait a while)
Old May 7th 2012, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant futurechrisandvee has a brilliant future

Hi Mate
Im looking for some sales consultants if you fancy giving that abash.
I own a doubkle glazing company and a solar company in perth.
Happy to help anyone out if they wanna give it a try

Pm me if you fancy a go