Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

18 months in Perth - missing home!

18 months in Perth - missing home!

Old Aug 20th 2009, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

MaggersandJen is just really niceMaggersandJen is just really niceMaggersandJen is just really niceMaggersandJen is just really niceMaggersandJen is just really niceMaggersandJen is just really niceMaggersandJen is just really niceMaggersandJen is just really nice
Default 18 months in Perth - missing home!

Moving to Perth from Guildford was a big move for us. My wife and I had good jobs, lots of freinds and were relatively close to our parents but still we always craved going back to Australia, where we met, to start a new life, or at least 'get it out of our systems'. Having enjoyed it initially things have changed...for me in particular.

The good...the obvious, weather, out door lifestyle and the size of house you can buy when compared to the UK. But sunshine and space are not everything.

Perth is beautifull, a big country town, relaxed and easy to get around but what we didnt take into account was the fact that there aint much outside Perth, so the feeling of isolation, particularly if you move out here without knowing people, grows on you. The fact that there is usually only one or two degrees of separation means that everyone knows each other and each others business...this can be a problem if you are a private person by nature! And some times, and i have heard this from some other british couples, is that west australians are reluctant to let outsiders into their circle of freinds, they all grow up together and they like to keep it that way. No shopping on a Sunday is a bit 1970s, no daylight savings in summmer is ridiculous and if you planning to come here to give a better life for your children, then give serious consideration to how bringing them up without their grandparents or other relatives might be. We didnt.

We think we will stay for this summer and then look at selling up and moving back home, and im quite happy about that which is a big change.

but please, these are just my experiences here so like any other post, dont take it too seriously...food for thought.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 9:46 pm
The Stars are Underground

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all
Default Re: 18 months in Perth - missing home!

That sounded a bit bleak!
But honest is good though.
I am going out to WA myself soon, I suppose I can't relate to ye guys - kids and yerselves missing out on family.
But though I can relate to missing family for myself, and trying to get ahead in Oz on my tod(without the thinking if how the folks/family are getting on back home/missing me/me missing them etc).

Still though its better to have done it(out of yer systems than to not have)

You made one other interesting point to me though: of the feeling of privacy intrusion in Perth, is this the case with all of Perth?
Is there a specific area or area where you have had this?

I lived in Claremont for a short while a couple of years ago and found it not intrusive at all, then again it could just have been that part of the area(where I was staying was quite upmarket) - but not through my choice.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 12:10 am
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute

You gave it a go, it's something to look back on in life, and Guildford is a good place to come back too.

Good luck on your return.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 12:52 am
Account Closed

mindblower is an unknown quantity at this point

.[/QUOTE]

Good points there.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaggersandJen
Moving to Perth from Guildford was a big move for us. My wife and I had good jobs, lots of freinds and were relatively close to our parents but still we always craved going back to Australia, where we met, to start a new life, or at least 'get it out of our systems'. Having enjoyed it initially things have changed...for me in particular.

The good...the obvious, weather, out door lifestyle and the size of house you can buy when compared to the UK. But sunshine and space are not everything.

Perth is beautifull, a big country town, relaxed and easy to get around but what we didnt take into account was the fact that there aint much outside Perth, so the feeling of isolation, particularly if you move out here without knowing people, grows on you. The fact that there is usually only one or two degrees of separation means that everyone knows each other and each others business...this can be a problem if you are a private person by nature! And some times, and i have heard this from some other british couples, is that west australians are reluctant to let outsiders into their circle of freinds, they all grow up together and they like to keep it that way. No shopping on a Sunday is a bit 1970s, no daylight savings in summmer is ridiculous and if you planning to come here to give a better life for your children, then give serious consideration to how bringing them up without their grandparents or other relatives might be. We didnt.

We think we will stay for this summer and then look at selling up and moving back home, and im quite happy about that which is a big change.

but please, these are just my experiences here so like any other post, dont take it too seriously...food for thought.
Agree with the datail. My OH feels that there is intrusion into ones personal affairs perhaps a little more than i may but understand perfectly what you mean. I find more perhaps a great indifference to a lot of things difficult.
And as for being able to break into a circle..can be very difficult indeed and even within the circle not always easy ...
Old Aug 21st 2009, 6:11 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,

At least you came, you saw and got the t-shirt.

I agree with everything you say about Perth, it is a big isolated country town but could be a fabulous place if it could pull itself out of the 1970's. My opinion only of course as many others love it for that exact reason.

Like another poster said as well, even if you manage to get into a circle you often still feel the odd one out.

Good luck with your decision, Guildford is lovely. It is where we would like to move back to but unfortunatley it is a bit pricey for us so looking at other places in the SE now.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck. You are in the same boat as many of us were. Enjoy your time there and get back before you end up stuck and acceptant of Australia. It really is fairly "ordinary" as the Aussies like to say
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Honest update!
Good luck with your move back to the UK next year but before you go, have you considered trying another part of Aus?
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 4:06 am
Just Joined

chasanddave is an unknown quantity at this point

I too am thinking and feeling the same as you- also came from near Guildford too. In fact I could have posted this too exactly how I feel!! Especially the bit about everyone knowing your business.......we have said another 6 months and then see.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 7:04 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

They should have moved to Melbourne no one gets bored there and theres plenty of great places to travel to within the state of Victoria.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 7:21 am
BE Enthusiast

kevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond reputekevin747 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
They should have moved to Melbourne no one gets bored there and theres plenty of great places to travel to within the state of Victoria.
Up to a point! Melbourne gets boring too.You don't mean Winchelsea,Geelong,Ballarat etc-how dull!
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevin747
Up to a point! Melbourne gets boring too.You don't mean Winchelsea,Geelong,Ballarat etc-how dull!

I may well be alone in this but the first lesson I learnt about Australia what that it was the same all over.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
I may well be alone in this but the first lesson I learnt about Australia what that it was the same all over.
Not really alone.Agree there is a certain sameness.Perhaps it is due to the fact that there is so little diversity in the way people speak(accents)think,humour,and otherness?
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 12:09 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kevin747
l was'nt refering to any of those places, l could list alot of great palces in Victoria but whats the point people who hate OZ are going to say every place and everything is dreadful and boring even the places they have never been to, l doubt any of them could be bothered getting off their whinging backsides to go anywhere in OZ anyway.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mohogony
l was'nt refering to any of those places, l could list alot of great palces in Victoria but whats the point people who hate OZ are going to say every place and everything is dreadful and boring even the places they have never been to, l doubt any of them could be bothered getting off their whinging backsides to go anywhere in OZ anyway.
I've been all over. Fascinating country. I just don't like living there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.