Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

13 months on the Sunshine Coast (no, we're not going back to the UK)

13 months on the Sunshine Coast (no, we're not going back to the UK)

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 11:34 pm
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of
Default Re: 13 months on the Sunshine Coast (no, we're not going back to the UK)

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
Yep, I agree with you on the crap "it's the price you pay for living on the Sunshine Coast"
That's just greedy employers looking for an excuse to pay peanuts. It cost's at least the same (or possible more) to live on the coast as it does to live in Brisbane.
Hopefully this will change as bigger companies move up here with modern thinking?

BTW We are aiming for citizenship on Australia day 2009, when are you aiming for?
The same, Jan 09 - (we got here about 2 weeks after you!!) Then we're planning a trip back to the UK in April/May 09, with our lovely Aussie passports!!

I hope you're right about the bigger co's moving up here.. although i'm sure it'll just push up house prices even more!! We're starting our own business as well.. well I say we, Hubby is. Spraypainting shop in Caboolture.. fingers crossed it makes us enough money to buy somewhere up here!!

I'll do my own 13 month update soon... just too busy at the mo!

Good luck with everything
Sonic x
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

dolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 13 months on the Sunshine Coast (no, we're not going back to the UK)

Originally Posted by Sue Stockport
Great post. Me and OH fly to Oz on the 8th December to start our new life. We are heading for the Sunshine Coast so it was really encouraging to read your post. Looking forward to meeting you and everyone else at the meet on the 15th Dec...... plleeeaaasseee all be nice to us as we are v scared ...... I'm sure you will as you all seem a v friendly bunch !
Hey..good luck with the move and enjoy your flights..look forwards to meeting up soon..
Old Dec 7th 2007, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

dolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura aboutdolliedimples has a spectacular aura about

Work is only the real issue I'd worry about if I was coming over. Ok, the shops aint quite so good (but you soon get used to them) and the drivers are a bit sloppy (my missus got hit up the arse a couple of days ago) but again if you make allowances the driving isn't a problem.

I'd recommend people go to www.seek.com.au and do a search for the sort of job they are looking for. My work is in IT and I looked a couple of days ago and there were 2 or 3 jobs paying up to $60,000 a year which isn't so bad. One of the jobs has a car supplied as well.
I think if you have a skill it's not so bad but if you are looking for unskilled work you are competing with 1000's of 16 - 18 year olds who get paid less and will put up with casual hours and being messed about in general.

But (and a big but) we love it over here and we can put up with a few small issues. The skies are normally bright blue and the sun is shining. We walk the dog on the beach a few times a week which is great and in general the people here are friendlier than people in the UK. The expat community here is also good and we have made several nice friends.

We do have 1 regret though, we wished that we had come here 10 years ago when our son would have been 8 years old. At least we could have got him into the surf life saving, soccer etc etc.

If anyone is coming over and wants a chat on the phone our number is 0560 0030930. It's a UK number that gets routed to OZ and costs you only 1p per minute to dial. We always make new arrivals welcome because we were in the same situation 13 months ago :-))

BTW Thanks for all the nice comments
Hi kbf..what a fab post and jolly decent(how English..hee hee)of you to offer help..does that apply to us moving up there from the Gold Coast too?
Karma sent to you..what goes around comes around
Old Dec 7th 2007, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, we'll help anyone :-)
Good luck to anyone who is on their way over, just be prepared for a few ups and downs and you'll be fine. We've met a great bunch of people here and I don't think we'd change anything.
We have had some sad news recently though, our friends who live just down the road are going back to the UK after only 3 months. We wish them the best of luck of course but we are going to miss them.
Australia isn't for everyone and you will miss friends and family, I don't really miss either but that's a bloke thing :-)
Old Dec 8th 2007, 10:45 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

Hey, we'll help anyone :-)
Good luck to anyone who is on their way over, just be prepared for a few ups and downs and you'll be fine. We've met a great bunch of people here and I don't think we'd change anything.
We have had some sad news recently though, our friends who live just down the road are going back to the UK after only 3 months. We wish them the best of luck of course but we are going to miss them.
Australia isn't for everyone and you will miss friends and family, I don't really miss either but that's a bloke thing :-)
wow, is there any particular reason for this, has it got something to do with the area? 3 months doesnt seem long, what a shame, I guess they are feeling a bit down at the moment.
bec
Old Dec 9th 2007, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by egghead4
wow, is there any particular reason for this, has it got something to do with the area? 3 months doesnt seem long, what a shame, I guess they are feeling a bit down at the moment.
bec
They are going back for family reasons, I think they really like the area and they have a lovely house etc, sometimes other things matter more.
The rest of the people we've made friends with have settled well and none are talking about going back.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Great Post Kevin-look forward to meeting you and OH on Saturday !
Old Feb 15th 2008, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

pukka pom will become famous soon enoughpukka pom will become famous soon enough

Hi Kevin,

Good to read your post! I vaguely remember speaking to you on expats a few years back, we applied nearly 4 years ago and here we are 2.5 years after obtaining visa actually decided to go for it, we should be in the MC area by the end of the year. Bloody hell houses have gone up in the last couple of years, I really feel we've missed the boat for getting a lot for your money, buy hey ho, its not all about that is it, quality of life n all that.

We are hoping to get a house in the MC area, I've heard that rentals are hard to come by at the moment, the kids will hopefully go to MC school, heard good reports, youngest will be in preschool. OH is qualified chippie/press engineer (both so we have choice of occupation!), 3 kids of 4, 6 and 8.

Would be good to hear from you (any tips welcome)

Sally n family
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

sklinky will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by minibelle
Hi Kevin

We should be with you in June be warned! we cant wait to be as poor and happy as everyone else, see you then.

minibelle
Get in touch when you get here!!!
The more the merrier!!!
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

sklinky will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by pukka pom
Hi Kevin,

Good to read your post! I vaguely remember speaking to you on expats a few years back, we applied nearly 4 years ago and here we are 2.5 years after obtaining visa actually decided to go for it, we should be in the MC area by the end of the year. Bloody hell houses have gone up in the last couple of years, I really feel we've missed the boat for getting a lot for your money, buy hey ho, its not all about that is it, quality of life n all that.

We are hoping to get a house in the MC area, I've heard that rentals are hard to come by at the moment, the kids will hopefully go to MC school, heard good reports, youngest will be in preschool. OH is qualified chippie/press engineer (both so we have choice of occupation!), 3 kids of 4, 6 and 8.

Would be good to hear from you (any tips welcome)

Sally n family
Hi Sally n family

Yes rentals are hard at the moment but if you need a hand please get in touch [email protected]
Old Jul 16th 2008, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sklinky
Get in touch when you get here!!!
The more the merrier!!!
We have booked flights for sept, spending a few weeks on the GC so see you all in october

minibelle
Old Jul 16th 2008, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by minibelle
We have booked flights for sept, spending a few weeks on the GC so see you all in october

minibelle
I can't believe this post is still alive :-)
We've now been here 20 months now and still living the dream! Camping, fishing 4WD'ing and spending time with our new friends. Life's just great
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:53 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kev, not heard from you for a long time, you must be spedning less time on here, or I am??

Anyway Me like you never knew or even dreamed of living here, always wanted too, never thought I would/could make it happen.

been here a while now, all settled like you , home car, jobs etc

Glad your enjoying the sunnie, I live in Brisbane and love to go up to the sunnie as often as possible.

Good to hear things are good and me like you have no intention of returning to the UK to live..

Good on you matey
Old Jul 17th 2008, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Hey Ben, long time no hear. Drop me a line next time you are up here on the coast, we can go out for a beer or 3 :-)
UK?? where's that?
Old Jul 18th 2008, 3:06 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Ben, long time no hear. Drop me a line next time you are up here on the coast, we can go out for a beer or 3 :-)
UK?? where's that?
Sounds great Kev, will plu your number into me mobile !