Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

13 months on the Sunshine Coast (no, we're not going back to the UK)

13 months on the Sunshine Coast (no, we're not going back to the UK)

Old Nov 21st 2007, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default 13 months on the Sunshine Coast (no, we're not going back to the UK)

Hi All, we arrived on the Sunshine Coast on the 13th October 2006. We've now been here just over a year and things are going fine. We've done the normal expat thing and bought a house with pool, new car and 4WD. My OH is working in a deli at Buderim (Capers) and I've setup an IT business (iSolveIT).

We've made a good group of friends and we go out a fair bit and to be honest I don't miss the UK one little bit although my OH does miss friends sometimes, I think it's a women thing though as all the blokes I know seem to settle much easier (the stronger sex maybe?)

We have a visitor coming over next week (OH's dad) and my mum comes over on the 12th December. Both are staying for about a month or so and we are really looking forward to seeing them and showing them our little bit of paradise :-)

Everything's not perfect here though (nor is anywhere I wouldn't have thought), as my previous post's have indicated the worst thing must be employment and wages. I was working for a local IT company and they were paying $40,000 a year (about 16,000 pounds). This is considered a good wage on the Sunshine Coast!!

Otherwise we are settling well and I wouldn't change anything. Now looking forward to when we have been here 2 years so we can become aussie citizens then who knows?
We never say never, currently we enjoy living here but we'd never say we'll never go back to the UK, 5 years ago we didn't know we'd be living here so who knows what we'll be doing in another 5 years?

Just a tip for newcomers, we have found it much easier once you have a group of friends so put yourself out when you get here, go to the meetups and meet people for coffee etc. I'm a firm believer in what goes around comes around and if you treat people nicely and try to do a good deed for people you'll get rewarded in the future.

Heres to the next 12 months
Old Nov 21st 2007, 3:18 am
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of
Default Re: 13 months on the Sunshine Coast (no, we're not going back to the UK)

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield View Post
Hi All, we arrived on the Sunshine Coast on the 13th October 2006. We've now been here just over a year and things are going fine. We've done the normal expat thing and bought a house with pool, new car and 4WD. My OH is working in a deli at Buderim (Capers) and I've setup an IT business (iSolveIT).

We've made a good group of friends and we go out a fair bit and to be honest I don't miss the UK one little bit although my OH does miss friends sometimes, I think it's a women thing though as all the blokes I know seem to settle much easier (the stronger sex maybe?)

We have a visitor coming over next week (OH's dad) and my mum comes over on the 12th December. Both are staying for about a month or so and we are really looking forward to seeing them and showing them our little bit of paradise :-)

Everything's not perfect here though (nor is anywhere I wouldn't have thought), as my previous post's have indicated the worst thing must be employment and wages. I was working for a local IT company and they were paying $40,000 a year (about 16,000 pounds). This is considered a good wage on the Sunshine Coast!!

Otherwise we are settling well and I wouldn't change anything. Now looking forward to when we have been here 2 years so we can become aussie citizens then who knows?
We never say never, currently we enjoy living here but we'd never say we'll never go back to the UK, 5 years ago we didn't know we'd be living here so who knows what we'll be doing in another 5 years?

Just a tip for newcomers, we have found it much easier once you have a group of friends so put yourself out when you get here, go to the meetups and meet people for coffee etc. I'm a firm believer in what goes around comes around and if you treat people nicely and try to do a good deed for people you'll get rewarded in the future.

Cool post...look forward to meeting you on 4x4 trip 2nd.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 3:29 am
Naughty but nice...

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 13 months on the Sunshine Coast (no, we're not going back to the UK)

(the stronger sex maybe?)

We like you to think that

Good post - here's to your next 12 months
Old Nov 21st 2007, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Nice post, well done & hope the next 12 months are even better
Old Nov 21st 2007, 7:15 am
Sassy Stockport Lass

Sue Stockport is an unknown quantity at this point

Great post. Me and OH fly to Oz on the 8th December to start our new life. We are heading for the Sunshine Coast so it was really encouraging to read your post. Looking forward to meeting you and everyone else at the meet on the 15th Dec...... plleeeaaasseee all be nice to us as we are v scared ...... I'm sure you will as you all seem a v friendly bunch !
Old Nov 21st 2007, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Don't be scared, there's some great people over here who'll make you very welcome. See you on the 15th
Old Nov 21st 2007, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

orca05 will become famous soon enoughorca05 will become famous soon enough

Hi
Good on you and it is really true that when you emigrate friends are really important and you have to put yourself out there.Best wishes for your new life.
Old Nov 21st 2007, 3:51 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Great post there Kev
Old Nov 21st 2007, 5:39 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

hi kev,

its great to hear how well you and your family are doing. its strange, as on the way home from work today I was wondering about the work situation on the SC and it is something that won't go away. I suppose its because things are moving forward for us and I am already starting to worry about being able to afford a simple lifestyle
you sound really settled and I have read some of the advise you have given other people, so is there any you can give me about this?
oh yeah, I had a gander at your website, very nice indeed
hows the business going?
all the best
bec
Old Nov 21st 2007, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

Hi Kevin

We should be with you in June be warned! we cant wait to be as poor and happy as everyone else, see you then.

minibelle
Old Nov 21st 2007, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by egghead4 View Post
hi kev,

its great to hear how well you and your family are doing. its strange, as on the way home from work today I was wondering about the work situation on the SC and it is something that won't go away. I suppose its because things are moving forward for us and I am already starting to worry about being able to afford a simple lifestyle
you sound really settled and I have read some of the advise you have given other people, so is there any you can give me about this?
oh yeah, I had a gander at your website, very nice indeed
hows the business going?
all the best
bec
Work is only the real issue I'd worry about if I was coming over. Ok, the shops aint quite so good (but you soon get used to them) and the drivers are a bit sloppy (my missus got hit up the arse a couple of days ago) but again if you make allowances the driving isn't a problem.

I'd recommend people go to www.seek.com.au and do a search for the sort of job they are looking for. My work is in IT and I looked a couple of days ago and there were 2 or 3 jobs paying up to $60,000 a year which isn't so bad. One of the jobs has a car supplied as well.
I think if you have a skill it's not so bad but if you are looking for unskilled work you are competing with 1000's of 16 - 18 year olds who get paid less and will put up with casual hours and being messed about in general.

But (and a big but) we love it over here and we can put up with a few small issues. The skies are normally bright blue and the sun is shining. We walk the dog on the beach a few times a week which is great and in general the people here are friendlier than people in the UK. The expat community here is also good and we have made several nice friends.

We do have 1 regret though, we wished that we had come here 10 years ago when our son would have been 8 years old. At least we could have got him into the surf life saving, soccer etc etc.

If anyone is coming over and wants a chat on the phone our number is 0560 0030930. It's a UK number that gets routed to OZ and costs you only 1p per minute to dial. We always make new arrivals welcome because we were in the same situation 13 months ago :-))

BTW Thanks for all the nice comments
Old Nov 21st 2007, 9:49 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

Work is only the real issue I'd worry about if I was coming over. Ok, the shops aint quite so good (but you soon get used to them) and the drivers are a bit sloppy (my missus got hit up the arse a couple of days ago) but again if you make allowances the driving isn't a problem.

I'd recommend people go to www.seek.com.au and do a search for the sort of job they are looking for. My work is in IT and I looked a couple of days ago and there were 2 or 3 jobs paying up to $60,000 a year which isn't so bad. One of the jobs has a car supplied as well.
I think if you have a skill it's not so bad but if you are looking for unskilled work you are competing with 1000's of 16 - 18 year olds who get paid less and will put up with casual hours and being messed about in general.

But (and a big but) we love it over here and we can put up with a few small issues. The skies are normally bright blue and the sun is shining. We walk the dog on the beach a few times a week which is great and in general the people here are friendlier than people in the UK. The expat community here is also good and we have made several nice friends.

We do have 1 regret though, we wished that we had come here 10 years ago when our son would have been 8 years old. At least we could have got him into the surf life saving, soccer etc etc.

If anyone is coming over and wants a chat on the phone our number is 0560 0030930. It's a UK number that gets routed to OZ and costs you only 1p per minute to dial. We always make new arrivals welcome because we were in the same situation 13 months ago :-))

BTW Thanks for all the nice comments
I might take you up on that offer closer towards our move
by the way, the comments are well deserved
bec
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

nadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nice

Really good to read how well you've settled in.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 10:46 pm
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

Have to disagree with this bit Kev... my hubby is a welder and the wages are pretty bad on the coast for welders even tho he's a skilled welder with over 15 years experience. I think wages are better in Brisbane, but we like the coast.. and as we've been told a hundred times in the past year "it's the price you pay for living on the Sunshine Coast"... which I have to say is absolute sh1te everything is the same price here as it is an hour down the road in Brisbane!!

Ok rant over....

Glad you've settled in over here! It's a top place! here's to the next 12 months... cya at the citizenship ceremony!
Sonic
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SonicBird View Post
Have to disagree with this bit Kev... my hubby is a welder and the wages are pretty bad on the coast for welders even tho he's a skilled welder with over 15 years experience. I think wages are better in Brisbane, but we like the coast.. and as we've been told a hundred times in the past year "it's the price you pay for living on the Sunshine Coast"... which I have to say is absolute sh1te everything is the same price here as it is an hour down the road in Brisbane!!

Ok rant over....

Glad you've settled in over here! It's a top place! here's to the next 12 months... cya at the citizenship ceremony!
Sonic
Yep, I agree with you on the crap "it's the price you pay for living on the Sunshine Coast"
That's just greedy employers looking for an excuse to pay peanuts. It cost's at least the same (or possible more) to live on the coast as it does to live in Brisbane.
Hopefully this will change as bigger companies move up here with modern thinking?

BTW We are aiming for citizenship on Australia day 2009, when are you aiming for?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.