10 whole days

Old May 31st 2010, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute
Default 10 whole days

We've been here 10 days now, and it has just flown past. We got here on Saturday 22nd May, picked up keys for our furnished apartments, and was in them by Saturday afternoon. My employer had laid on a welcome pack, so didn't need to get anything special. Did the customary crash thing.

Sunday was spent visiting old friends and making sure I had everything ready for Monday morning. Monday I started work - it's only been a week so far, but so far touch wood it's been great.

Our flat is just down the road from Broadway shopping centre so it's easy to keep supplied. It's also right next to the meat market, and the fish market is just down the road. I can walk to work in the mornings, and I've found a good community gym that doesn't cost the earth. If it wasn't for the expense I could probably stay here for a good while yet.

During the week, we've signed up for Medicare, changed our driver's license, got mobile phones sorted, got the bank cards sent down from Brisbane, got the TFN, bought a set top box and a printer - although I'd boxed one up, and it will be here in 8 weeks, we needed to print off reams of CVs and other crap. Still I needed a new printer anyway

Denise and Heather went for their first interviews today, and it looks like they'll both be starting work on Wednesday. Denise as a temp accountant, and Heather will be dressed up in fairy outfits handing out flyers

So the only real thing left to do is get a car, and we'll do that this weekend - any suggestions as to where to look?
Old Jun 3rd 2010, 6:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 10 whole days

Wow, I feel exhausted just reading that!
Well done & hope that things continue to work out so well for you
Old Jun 8th 2010, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TakenThePlunge
We've been here 10 days now, and it has just flown past. We got here on Saturday 22nd May, picked up keys for our furnished apartments, and was in them by Saturday afternoon. My employer had laid on a welcome pack, so didn't need to get anything special. Did the customary crash thing.

Sunday was spent visiting old friends and making sure I had everything ready for Monday morning. Monday I started work - it's only been a week so far, but so far touch wood it's been great.

Our flat is just down the road from Broadway shopping centre so it's easy to keep supplied. It's also right next to the meat market, and the fish market is just down the road. I can walk to work in the mornings, and I've found a good community gym that doesn't cost the earth. If it wasn't for the expense I could probably stay here for a good while yet.

During the week, we've signed up for Medicare, changed our driver's license, got mobile phones sorted, got the bank cards sent down from Brisbane, got the TFN, bought a set top box and a printer - although I'd boxed one up, and it will be here in 8 weeks, we needed to print off reams of CVs and other crap. Still I needed a new printer anyway

Denise and Heather went for their first interviews today, and it looks like they'll both be starting work on Wednesday. Denise as a temp accountant, and Heather will be dressed up in fairy outfits handing out flyers

So the only real thing left to do is get a car, and we'll do that this weekend - any suggestions as to where to look?
Sounds like you're all having a fab time.

It will be similar to us except we won't be planning to work to start with i.e. a month.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

carsales.com.au (no, I don't work for them).
I sold a car through them and it was all good.
If nothing else you can get a really good feel for current prices/values.

Good luck
Old Jun 11th 2010, 8:51 am
Banned

Noreturn is an unknown quantity at this point

discountusedcarsales.com.au tradingpost.com.au drive.com.au carpoint.com.au
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute
Default Was 10 days, now 3 months

The 3 months has just passed, and it's a good time for an update.

We found a furnished rental unit in Phillips Landing, off Canada Bay, and have been here for the last 4 weeks. The view is lovely, but I've already had a run in with the resident's committe - the downside of Strata Living. The upshot is I can't feed the Lorrikeets that graced the balcony every morning.

I'm still working in Darling Harbour, but the OH has moved jobs and is working for the Salvo Army in Sydney CBD. My daughter has finished her CERT III childcare course and has got a traineeship with a child care centre in the CBD as well - so we all get the ferry in and out each day.

I bought a car from Hertz, it was fairly good value and seems to have been fairly well looked after.

My weekends are taken up with driving down to Bankstown airport and taking my flying lessons, which are going quite well - although the normally unflappable instructor did seem to get a little high strng last week. We were at 300 feet, coming in a little low, so he says "give it more power", and I pulled the throttle the wrong way, slowing down at 300 feet up is not a good idea, apparently

We must be starting to settle in coz' I found it quite cold in August ... but so far we're loving it - and it's been the best move possible for my daughter as she continues to turn her life around...
Old Sep 8th 2010, 1:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you're having fun and enjoying Aussie way of life!
Hope it keeps going well for you, its a fabulous place to live.
Our boys love it here and eldest who is in NZ still has now said he is moving over and finishing his course at ANU.
(Just when you think you've let the kids flee the nest eh?)
Hope your flying goes well! Dont scare the instructor too much.