Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Turkey
Reload this Page >

Retiring to Turkey

Retiring to Turkey

Old May 3rd 2021, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond reputeStokkevn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Retiring to Turkey

I am thinking of abandoning the Philippines to retire in Turkey on the west coast. Over 20 years ago I used to holiday there for a few weeks in Alanya and really enjoyed it. But am now seriously looking to retire there or somewhere near there. Apart from the usual visa problems are there any other pitfalls in looking at Turkey as a retirement location. I have a very small UK state pension due this year, a larger Norwegian one due next year and a few bob in the bank, would I have to pay local tax on any of these. Not sure if I would rent or buy somewhere to live.
Old May 4th 2021, 7:11 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retiring to Turkey

Originally Posted by Stokkevn
I am thinking of abandoning the Philippines to retire in Turkey on the west coast. Over 20 years ago I used to holiday there for a few weeks in Alanya and really enjoyed it. But am now seriously looking to retire there or somewhere near there. Apart from the usual visa problems are there any other pitfalls in looking at Turkey as a retirement location. I have a very small UK state pension due this year, a larger Norwegian one due next year and a few bob in the bank, would I have to pay local tax on any of these. Not sure if I would rent or buy somewhere to live.
Hi, never a good idea to base such a decision on a few weeks' holiday somewhere 20 years ago, even somewhere in the EU. Pleasant holidays in a beautiful area don't necessarily mean a happy retirement there. Best to spend time in the chosen area in all seasons, to make sure it's not too hot/overcrowded in summer, cold/dead in winter, for example, and that living there forever more is really for you.
You'd have to research Pension agreements between Turkey and the UK & Norway, and healthcare insurance. As you're approaching retirement, make sure that there are medical facilities nearby - the older you get, the more you tend to consult.....
Language is also an important factor, you wouldn't be a tourist, but would need to communicate for the nitty-gritty/bureaucracy.
IMO the political situation in the country since the turn of the century and its uncomfortable position between the Orient and Europe, should also be considered.
P.S. Some one who actually lives there will come along to advise on all these subjects, but, apart from the last sentence and the Pension agreement issue, this advice applies to any non-EU citizen thinking of retiring to an EU country.
HTH
Old May 4th 2021, 12:34 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, never a good idea to base such a decision on a few weeks' holiday somewhere 20 years ago, even somewhere in the EU. Pleasant holidays in a beautiful area don't necessarily mean a happy retirement there. Best to spend time in the chosen area in all seasons, to make sure it's not too hot/overcrowded in summer, cold/dead in winter, for example, and that living there forever more is really for you.
You'd have to research Pension agreements between Turkey and the UK & Norway, and healthcare insurance. As you're approaching retirement, make sure that there are medical facilities nearby - the older you get, the more you tend to consult.....
Language is also an important factor, you wouldn't be a tourist, but would need to communicate for the nitty-gritty/bureaucracy.
IMO the political situation in the country since the turn of the century and its uncomfortable position between the Orient and Europe, should also be considered.
P.S. Some one who actually lives there will come along to advise on all these subjects, but, apart from the last sentence and the Pension agreement issue, this advice applies to any non-EU citizen thinking of retiring to an EU country.
HTH
Please note, Turkey is NOT an EU country.
Old May 4th 2021, 2:15 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Please note, Turkey is NOT an EU country.
I didn't express myself well in the P.S.
I should have continued to say that a non-EU citizen retiring to Turkey, a non-EU country, might encounter even more pitfalls than a non-EU citizen retiring to an EU country....
The OP did say he was THINKING of retiring to Turkey and he might easily decide on an EU country instead, in which case the same issues must be considered.
Sorry for the confusion...
Old Jun 30th 2021, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The secular Turkey of Ataturk is gone The country is now in the hands of a gang of Islamists I would avoid it