Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

will uk drink drive endorsment affect getting a job

will uk drink drive endorsment affect getting a job

Old Feb 26th 2008, 10:38 am

ellie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default will uk drink drive endorsment affect getting a job

Hi All

My husband is a uk truck driver and is looking to move over to canada, he currently has a drink drive endorsement on his car licence which comes off next year which will be 11 years. Could any one help will this affect his chances of getting a job, and would this transfer over to his new canadian car licence. is he better off waiting until this endorsement is removed.

Many Thanks
Old Feb 26th 2008, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: will uk drink drive endorsment affect getting a job

Originally Posted by ellie1
Hi All

My husband is a uk truck driver and is looking to move over to canada, he currently has a drink drive endorsement on his car licence which comes off next year which will be 11 years. Could any one help will this affect his chances of getting a job, and would this transfer over to his new canadian car licence. is he better off waiting until this endorsement is removed.

Many Thanks
I would be more concerned if he could even get into Canada before worrying about endorsements as you will need to provide Police / Criminal Record Checks at some stage of your immigration proccess for every country you have lived in since the age of 18 for 6 months or more and this will show up. So before worrying about the initial questions I would check out if this would stop you dead in your tracks before anything else.

Drink Driving convictions are also a big no no for most employers.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
I would be more concerned if he could even get into Canada before worrying about endorsements as you will need to provide Police / Criminal Record Checks at some stage of your immigration proccess for every country you have lived in since the age of 18 for 6 months or more and this will show up. So before worrying about the initial questions I would check out if this would stop you dead in your tracks before anything else.

Drink Driving convictions are also a big no no for most employers.
Hi Dave

Thanks we have looked into the Criminal Rehabilitation, he was never sentenced to prison he had a 14 month driving ban. The endorsement stay's on the licence for 11 years which will be up next year. the following statement is from the Canadian immigration site.

you may be deemed to have been rehabilitated if at least ten years have passed since you
completed the sentence imposed upon you, or since you committed the offence, if the
offence is one that would, in Canada, be an indictable offence punishable by a maximum
term of imprisonment of less than ten years.

we do not know the law on drink driving in canada may be you could help out on this one? I am also going to google to see if I can find anything.

It just show's if you have been out drinking the night before do not drive to work the next morning !!!!!! he was just over the limit which is no excuse but I am sure we have all done it.

Thanks
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Happy_Feet will become famous soon enough

Hi Dave

Thanks we have looked into the Criminal Rehabilitation, he was never sentenced to prison he had a 14 month driving ban. The endorsement stay's on the licence for 11 years which will be up next year. the following statement is from the Canadian immigration site.

you may be deemed to have been rehabilitated if at least ten years have passed since you
completed the sentence imposed upon you, or since you committed the offence, if the
offence is one that would, in Canada, be an indictable offence punishable by a maximum
term of imprisonment of less than ten years.

we do not know the law on drink driving in canada may be you could help out on this one? I am also going to google to see if I can find anything.

It just show's if you have been out drinking the night before do not drive to work the next morning !!!!!! he was just over the limit which is no excuse but I am sure we have all done it.

Thanks

sorry but no I for one have never done it, especially when I drive for a living, I value my licence way too much
Old Feb 27th 2008, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

bigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to all

Thanks
Drink and Drive your a bloody idiot, thats the govt add's they push and I agree

You say (I am sure we have all done it)

Well no I have not
Old Feb 27th 2008, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by bigwheels241
Drink and Drive your a bloody idiot, thats the govt add's they push and I agree

You say (I am sure we have all done it)

Well no I have not
I FOR ONE DID NOT POST THIS TO HAVE REPLY’S LIKE THE LAST TWO COMMENTS!!! IT WAS ONLY FOR INFORMATION PURPOSES.

NOW DID YOU READ THE BELOW PARAPRAGH FULLY OR DID YOU GO STRAGHT INTO THE UNCALLED FOR SCREECH.... AND AS YOU CAN SEE I HAVE SAID IT'S NO EXCUSE I ALSO THINK GOVERMENTS AROUND THE WORLD SHOULD MAKE IT A NO DINK POLICY THAT WAY NO MISKAKE'S CAN HAPPEN AND THE PEOPLE THAT GO OUT AND INTEND TO DRIVE HOME FROM THE BAR CAN BE SERISILY DELT WITH.

I FOR ONE I HAVE HAD A FAMILY MEMBER KILLED BY A DRINK DRIVER WHO DRAGGED HIM DOWN THE ROAD FOR TWO HUNDRED YARDS, WHEN HE STOPPED HE HAD NO IDEA WHAT HE HAD JUST DONE. HE LEFT A BAR AND GO STRAIGHT INTO HIS CAR……………………..

It just show's if you have been out drinking the night before do not drive to work the next morning!!!!!! He was just over the limit, which is no excuse, but I am sure we have all done it.

I AM SURE IF YOU ASKED 10 ADULTS AND PUT THE QUESTION TO THEM

HAVE YOU EVEN HAD A DRINK THE NIGHT BEFORE AND GOT UP IN THE MORNING AND DRIVEN TO WORK THINKING YOU WERE NO LONGER OVER THE LIMIT AFTER HOURS OF SLEEP I COULD GAURANTE 50% WOULD SAY YES…

PEOPLE MAKE MISTAKES THIS MISTAKE WAS MADE TEN YEARS AGO AND I THINK HE HAS PUNISHED HIMSELF FOR ALL THE YEARS AND DOES NOT NEED PEOPLE TO MADE UNCALLED FOR COMMENTS. WE ALL HAVE OUR OWN VEIWS ON THINGS AND I UNDERSTAND THAT BUT SOME TIMES PEOPLE MAY NEED THAT LITTLE BIT OF HELP TO EXPRESS THIS IN WRITING…

SORRY TO GO ON BUT I ALSO WISHED TO GET MY VIEW OVER, IN A MUCH BETTER WAY.

I SAY NO MORE.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

bigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to all

WoW capitals make me mad

you made a quote, I replied, dont like the truth well your the one with the chip on ya block

Last edited by bigwheels241; Feb 27th 2008 at 3:57 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

enough with the shouting already! it's rude to shout in a forum

we are all entitled to our opinions around here, incuding myself

personally you made a comment that everyone has had a drink at night and driven the next morning, I said in my previous post and I will say it again I have not done this, nor will I ever, so what is wrong in my post? why is it uncalled for to disagree with you?

if you want me to personally comment on your other halves actions I will, but I think you will find I have not done so, read my previous post very carefully!

you have come to this forum seeking advice and it would appear that since you do not like the answers you are getting you resort to screaming and throwing wild acusations against other members

we are all here for the same thing, help, advice and to share information, good luck in trying to move to canada, you will do well to read the advice in this thread and in your other thread in the canada section
Old Feb 27th 2008, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Happy_Feet
enough with the shouting already! it's rude to shout in a forum

we are all entitled to our opinions around here, incuding myself

personally you made a comment that everyone has had a drink at night and driven the next morning, I said in my previous post and I will say it again I have not done this, nor will I ever, so what is wrong in my post? why is it uncalled for to disagree with you?

if you want me to personally comment on your other halves actions I will, but I think you will find I have not done so, read my previous post very carefully!

you have come to this forum seeking advice and it would appear that since you do not like the answers you are getting you resort to screaming and throwing wild acusations against other members

we are all here for the same thing, help, advice and to share information, good luck in trying to move to canada, you will do well to read the advice in this thread and in your other thread in the canada section

Happy Feet

I also said in my reply that I understand that people have their own views, but as you said people come to the site for advise. The two post's were not advise.

Yes on my other post the people who have posted on this have been very helpful, this is the difference.

I did not intend to join the site to have a argument i did join it for help and advise ?????? it seems that people also use it for a free for all not just for advise.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

I did not intend to join the site to have a argument i did join it for help and advise ?????? it seems that people also use it for a free for all not just for advise.
As you attacked me directly I have right to say my peace, you directly refered to (We all have done it)

If its against your laws not to make our point, do not you think thats becomming a one-way street which is only in your views your one-way allyway.

I have given my advise to many, not just on this website, you or no-one will attack me, without some form of strong reason.

DUI laws are there for a reason, just like happy feet and I on this site, I will not be spoken to in that manner, from anyone.

Grow-up
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

Happy Feet

I also said in my reply that I understand that people have their own views, but as you said people come to the site for advise. The two post's were not advise.

Yes on my other post the people who have posted on this have been very helpful, this is the difference.

I did not intend to join the site to have a argument i did join it for help and advise ?????? it seems that people also use it for a free for all not just for advise.:confusoed:

life is too short to argue with you, good luck, trust me, a huge amount is needed!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Calm Down Calm Down ei ei ei

Below is the requirements / documents which one company say they need to offer drivers a job that emailed me:

The following documents and criteria are required at the interview:

1. A copy of criminal record search - drivers cannot have a criminal record
2. A copy of criminal record search for all dependents over 18 years - cannot have a criminal record

(Whether an expired DUI conviction is classed as falling under No's 1 & 2 I have no idea)

3. A copy of drivers license – Class 1
4. A copy of British LGV Medical Form D4
5. A copy of a medical letter from a General Practitioner for all dependents over 18 – including spouse
6. A copy of a driver’s assessment – road test – go to the closest certified driving training facility
7. A drug test will be required. The illicit drugs to be tested for are marijuana (THC), cocaine, opiates, amphetamines and phencyclidine (PCP). Urinalysis/blood/hair follicles are the methods used for identification of illicit drugs.
8. Three (3) reference checks/verifications – must include dates of employment and the position held at time of employment
9. Copy of Birth Certificate – Long Form
10. Curriculum Vitae
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
Calm Down Calm Down ei ei ei

Below is the requirements / documents which one company say they need to offer drivers a job that emailed me:

The following documents and criteria are required at the interview:

1. A copy of criminal record search - drivers cannot have a criminal record
2. A copy of criminal record search for all dependents over 18 years - cannot have a criminal record

(Whether an expired DUI conviction is classed as falling under No's 1 & 2 I have no idea)

3. A copy of drivers license – Class 1
4. A copy of British LGV Medical Form D4
5. A copy of a medical letter from a General Practitioner for all dependents over 18 – including spouse
6. A copy of a driver’s assessment – road test – go to the closest certified driving training facility
7. A drug test will be required. The illicit drugs to be tested for are marijuana (THC), cocaine, opiates, amphetamines and phencyclidine (PCP). Urinalysis/blood/hair follicles are the methods used for identification of illicit drugs.
8. Three (3) reference checks/verifications – must include dates of employment and the position held at time of employment
9. Copy of Birth Certificate – Long Form
10. Curriculum Vitae

Thanks DAVIE_MAC

This is a great help :-).
Old Feb 28th 2008, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

Alan T is an unknown quantity at this point

Ellie I have sent you a pm