British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   TWP long haul truckers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/twp-long-haul-truckers-835088/)

Amy1807 May 28th 2014 7:24 pm

TWP long haul truckers

Just curious, how much experience do you need to get a TWP for the long haul truck driver sub cat? I can't find an answer anywhere. I know companies will want a few years, but what do the immigration office want?

flat to the mat May 29th 2014 12:44 am

Re: TWP long haul truckers

Supposedly 2 years .

neilcumming May 29th 2014 1:16 am

Yes,its usually 2yrs but I seen some drivers come over get a work permit and you know they are not truck drivers.

Amy1807 May 29th 2014 5:27 am

Originally Posted by neilcumming (Post 11279860)
Yes,its usually 2yrs but I seen some drivers come over get a work permit and you know they are not truck drivers.

How do they manage that then?! They would have no experience lol

Amy1807 May 29th 2014 5:58 am

Do you think if you had 1 years experience with a job offer and LMO they would give u the TWP?

Smudger75 May 29th 2014 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Amy1807 (Post 11280038)
Do you think if you had 1 years experience with a job offer and LMO they would give u the TWP?

If you get an job offer with a LMO you done the hard part, and you can get you TWP visa at the port if entry!

neilcumming May 30th 2014 2:35 am

I knew one driver who had 3 accidents in a year,hit a bridge,did damage to the trailer then finally rolled a fuel tanker .They wouldnt give him his 3rd LMO,silly billy didnt apply for his PR.If you got a 1 yr just blag it

Amy1807 May 30th 2014 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Smudger75 (Post 11281315)
If you get an job offer with a LMO you done the hard part, and you can get you TWP visa at the port if entry!

How long does it take on average too get a TWP? AND what do you think the chances of the LMO being approved are with 1 years experience?
I'm not sure I could just book flights n turn up n be like 'yeah give me a work permit please' lol. My nerves would be shot the entire flight!

Amy1807 May 30th 2014 5:55 am

Originally Posted by neilcumming (Post 11281408)
I knew one driver who had 3 accidents in a year,hit a bridge,did damage to the trailer then finally rolled a fuel tanker .They wouldnt give him his 3rd LMO,silly billy didnt apply for his PR.If you got a 1 yr just blag it

To be honest, there doesn't seem like there is a guide for it, I have searched everywhere and can't find a definite answer. Just that to apply for the sinp you need 2 years experience which he will have by the time we apply. So I think blagging it will do lol.
Do LMOs have a time limit?

neilcumming May 31st 2014 2:11 am

You will need the LMO before you fly over or you may have problems at customs.My TWPs lasted 1yr and it s easy to re-new them for another year.

christmasoompa May 31st 2014 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Amy1807 (Post 11281519)
To be honest, there doesn't seem like there is a guide for it, I have searched everywhere and can't find a definite answer. Just that to apply for the sinp you need 2 years experience which he will have by the time we apply. So I think blagging it will do lol.
Do LMOs have a time limit?

You'd have to apply for your TWP before your LMO expires. Most apply for their TWP's at POE, but if you're worried about it you can apply via London, that takes around 8-10 weeks.

As for the experience, the 2/3 years often quoted is partly because most companies won't go to the hassle/expense of a LMO app for somebody with less experience, and the LMO is less likely to be granted. Remember that for the LMO you're supposed to be more qualified than any Canadian applicants - HRSDC might struggle to agree with that if you've only got a year's experience.

HTH, good luck.

Amy1807 May 31st 2014 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11283193)
You'd have to apply for your TWP before your LMO expires. Most apply for their TWP's at POE, but if you're worried about it you can apply via London, that takes around 8-10 weeks.

As for the experience, the 2/3 years often quoted is partly because most companies won't go to the hassle/expense of a LMO app for somebody with less experience, and the LMO is less likely to be granted. Remember that for the LMO you're supposed to be more qualified than any Canadian applicants - HRSDC might struggle to agree with that if you've only got a year's experience.

HTH, good luck.

Thanks, that's very helpful. Would applying at POE be the same as if you did it in England? In terms of bringing the family along?

Ok, I suppose there's no harm in applying for jobs after 1 years experience, and if it doesn't happen straight away then it's not a problem because the whole time he'd still be working and getting more experience.

christmasoompa Jun 1st 2014 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Amy1807 (Post 11283276)
Thanks, that's very helpful. Would applying at POE be the same as if you did it in England? In terms of bringing the family along?

Yes. You can look at the Wiki for info on applying via either method, but basically it's the same thing. Slightly more risk if you apply at POE I guess, but then you save yourself 8-10 weeks of processing time, so that may outweigh the risk, particularly if you have an impatient employer. Many employers just aren't prepared to wait another 2 or 3 months after already waiting 3 or 4 months for the LMO, so applying at POE is how most on the forum do it and I've yet to hear of anybody that's been refused and turned around.

Originally Posted by Amy1807 (Post 11283276)
Ok, I suppose there's no harm in applying for jobs after 1 years experience, and if it doesn't happen straight away then it's not a problem because the whole time he'd still be working and getting more experience.

Sounds like a plan.

Best of luck.

Amy1807 Jun 1st 2014 3:18 pm

Do you need proof of funds for the TWP? If so how much? And I have read a few places that TWP have been rejected as they weren't satisfied that the applicant would leave Canada once TWP ends, any further info on this?

Thanks everyone

christmasoompa Jun 1st 2014 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Amy1807 (Post 11284391)
Do you need proof of funds for the TWP? If so how much? And I have read a few places that TWP have been rejected as they weren't satisfied that the applicant would leave Canada once TWP ends, any further info on this?

Proof of funds is only needed for PR apps, not TWP's. You'll still need about the amount CIC suggest as their proof of funds though just to get set up in Canada, so use that as a guide anyway.

As for proof you'll leave Canada, it would be unusual for a British citizen to be refused a TWP on that basis. Several years of working in immigration and being a mod on this forum, and I've never heard of it!

:)