British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   TWP long haul truckers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/twp-long-haul-truckers-835088/)

Amy1807 May 28th 2014 7:24 pm

TWP long haul truckers

Just curious, how much experience do you need to get a TWP for the long haul truck driver sub cat? I can't find an answer anywhere. I know companies will want a few years, but what do the immigration office want?

flat to the mat May 29th 2014 12:44 am

Re: TWP long haul truckers

Supposedly 2 years .

neilcumming May 29th 2014 1:16 am

Yes,its usually 2yrs but I seen some drivers come over get a work permit and you know they are not truck drivers.

Amy1807 May 29th 2014 5:27 am

Originally Posted by neilcumming (Post 11279860)
Yes,its usually 2yrs but I seen some drivers come over get a work permit and you know they are not truck drivers.

How do they manage that then?! They would have no experience lol

Amy1807 May 29th 2014 5:58 am

Do you think if you had 1 years experience with a job offer and LMO they would give u the TWP?

Smudger75 May 29th 2014 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Amy1807 (Post 11280038)
Do you think if you had 1 years experience with a job offer and LMO they would give u the TWP?

If you get an job offer with a LMO you done the hard part, and you can get you TWP visa at the port if entry!

neilcumming May 30th 2014 2:35 am

I knew one driver who had 3 accidents in a year,hit a bridge,did damage to the trailer then finally rolled a fuel tanker .They wouldnt give him his 3rd LMO,silly billy didnt apply for his PR.If you got a 1 yr just blag it

Amy1807 May 30th 2014 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Smudger75 (Post 11281315)
If you get an job offer with a LMO you done the hard part, and you can get you TWP visa at the port if entry!

How long does it take on average too get a TWP? AND what do you think the chances of the LMO being approved are with 1 years experience?
I'm not sure I could just book flights n turn up n be like 'yeah give me a work permit please' lol. My nerves would be shot the entire flight!

Amy1807 May 30th 2014 5:55 am

Originally Posted by neilcumming (Post 11281408)
I knew one driver who had 3 accidents in a year,hit a bridge,did damage to the trailer then finally rolled a fuel tanker .They wouldnt give him his 3rd LMO,silly billy didnt apply for his PR.If you got a 1 yr just blag it

To be honest, there doesn't seem like there is a guide for it, I have searched everywhere and can't find a definite answer. Just that to apply for the sinp you need 2 years experience which he will have by the time we apply. So I think blagging it will do lol.
Do LMOs have a time limit?

neilcumming May 31st 2014 2:11 am

You will need the LMO before you fly over or you may have problems at customs.My TWPs lasted 1yr and it s easy to re-new them for another year.

christmasoompa May 31st 2014 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Amy1807 (Post 11281519)
To be honest, there doesn't seem like there is a guide for it, I have searched everywhere and can't find a definite answer. Just that to apply for the sinp you need 2 years experience which he will have by the time we apply. So I think blagging it will do lol.
Do LMOs have a time limit?

You'd have to apply for your TWP before your LMO expires. Most apply for their TWP's at POE, but if you're worried about it you can apply via London, that takes around 8-10 weeks.

As for the experience, the 2/3 years often quoted is partly because most companies won't go to the hassle/expense of a LMO app for somebody with less experience, and the LMO is less likely to be granted. Remember that for the LMO you're supposed to be more qualified than any Canadian applicants - HRSDC might struggle to agree with that if you've only got a year's experience.

HTH, good luck.

Amy1807 May 31st 2014 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11283193)
You'd have to apply for your TWP before your LMO expires. Most apply for their TWP's at POE, but if you're worried about it you can apply via London, that takes around 8-10 weeks.

As for the experience, the 2/3 years often quoted is partly because most companies won't go to the hassle/expense of a LMO app for somebody with less experience, and the LMO is less likely to be granted. Remember that for the LMO you're supposed to be more qualified than any Canadian applicants - HRSDC might struggle to agree with that if you've only got a year's experience.

HTH, good luck.

Thanks, that's very helpful. Would applying at POE be the same as if you did it in England? In terms of bringing the family along?

Ok, I suppose there's no harm in applying for jobs after 1 years experience, and if it doesn't happen straight away then it's not a problem because the whole time he'd still be working and getting more experience.

christmasoompa Jun 1st 2014 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Amy1807 (Post 11283276)
Thanks, that's very helpful. Would applying at POE be the same as if you did it in England? In terms of bringing the family along?

Yes. You can look at the Wiki for info on applying via either method, but basically it's the same thing. Slightly more risk if you apply at POE I guess, but then you save yourself 8-10 weeks of processing time, so that may outweigh the risk, particularly if you have an impatient employer. Many employers just aren't prepared to wait another 2 or 3 months after already waiting 3 or 4 months for the LMO, so applying at POE is how most on the forum do it and I've yet to hear of anybody that's been refused and turned around.

Originally Posted by Amy1807 (Post 11283276)
Ok, I suppose there's no harm in applying for jobs after 1 years experience, and if it doesn't happen straight away then it's not a problem because the whole time he'd still be working and getting more experience.

Sounds like a plan.

Best of luck.

Amy1807 Jun 1st 2014 3:18 pm

Do you need proof of funds for the TWP? If so how much? And I have read a few places that TWP have been rejected as they weren't satisfied that the applicant would leave Canada once TWP ends, any further info on this?

Thanks everyone

christmasoompa Jun 1st 2014 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Amy1807 (Post 11284391)
Do you need proof of funds for the TWP? If so how much? And I have read a few places that TWP have been rejected as they weren't satisfied that the applicant would leave Canada once TWP ends, any further info on this?

Proof of funds is only needed for PR apps, not TWP's. You'll still need about the amount CIC suggest as their proof of funds though just to get set up in Canada, so use that as a guide anyway.

As for proof you'll leave Canada, it would be unusual for a British citizen to be refused a TWP on that basis. Several years of working in immigration and being a mod on this forum, and I've never heard of it!

:)

Lou Skannon Jun 1st 2014 8:56 pm

I've known quite a few drivers come over and "wing-it". If you look like a truck-driver then you have done the hard part. The standard of truck-driver is very low at the bottom. It doesn't take much to get above the worst at some companies. Good common-sense and a good command of the English language are essential. You get a weeks training at most companies so that helps.
I know a guy who only did 3 months agency work before he came. Another only had a license because he was a fitter. Others only had Army experience.
The hard part is getting a job offer with a LMO.
Good luck.

Amy1807 Jun 2nd 2014 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Lou Skannon (Post 11284683)
I've known quite a few drivers come over and "wing-it". If you look like a truck-driver then you have done the hard part. The standard of truck-driver is very low at the bottom. It doesn't take much to get above the worst at some companies. Good common-sense and a good command of the English language are essential. You get a weeks training at most companies so that helps.
I know a guy who only did 3 months agency work before he came. Another only had a license because he was a fitter. Others only had Army experience.
The hard part is getting a job offer with a LMO.
Good luck.

Sounds encouraging. Do most companies get their LMOs, and then look for employees? Or are there some that will apply after they've offered the job?

Amy1807 Jun 2nd 2014 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11284404)
Proof of funds is only needed for PR apps, not TWP's. You'll still need about the amount CIC suggest as their proof of funds though just to get set up in Canada, so use that as a guide anyway.

As for proof you'll leave Canada, it would be unusual for a British citizen to be refused a TWP on that basis. Several years of working in immigration and being a mod on this forum, and I've never heard of it!

:)

"What requirements must I meet to obtain a work permit?

You must show the officer that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations and that you will be in Canada for a temporary stay. You must also:

satisfy an officer that you will leave Canada at the end of your employment,
show that you have enough money during your stay in Canada to take care of yourself and your family members and to return home,
be law-abiding and have no record of criminal activity (you may be asked to provide a Police Clearance Certificate),
not be a danger to the security of Canada,
be in good health and complete a medical examination, if required,
not intend to engage in employment with an employer on the List of Ineligible Employers found on CIC’s website,
not have worked in Canada for one or more periods totalling four years after April 1, 2011 (with certain exceptions),
provide any additional documents requested by the officer to establish your admissibility."

Found this on the CIC website.
Why I'm double checking is, if this all falls into place, my partner would probably go ahead without us, so if we sold the house, the money which we would use to set up probably wouldn't be there when he applying for TWP. There would probably be enough for him to stay in a motel or something similar and live on for a couple of months.

christmasoompa Jun 2nd 2014 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Amy1807 (Post 11285287)
Why I'm double checking is, if this all falls into place, my partner would probably go ahead without us, so if we sold the house, the money which we would use to set up probably wouldn't be there when he applying for TWP. There would probably be enough for him to stay in a motel or something similar and live on for a couple of months.

It might be better to wait to sell your house until you have PR - on a TWP you're tied to that employer, and we've seen many people on the forum be made redundant whilst on a TWP and have to return to the UK. Selling until you've got the security of PR may not be ideal unless you really can't avoid it.

Plus it would then mean that if he is asked about returning to the UK, he's got a tie there to show.

HTH.

Amy1807 Jun 2nd 2014 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11285295)
It might be better to wait to sell your house until you have PR - on a TWP you're tied to that employer, and we've seen many people on the forum be made redundant whilst on a TWP and have to return to the UK. Selling until you've got the security of PR may not be ideal unless you really can't avoid it.

Plus it would then mean that if he is asked about returning to the UK, he's got a tie there to show.

HTH.

That is quite sensible really when put like that. But then our funds will be greatly reduced. So you say that you don't need proof of funds and you work in immigration, yet the CIC site days you do but doesn't elaborate? Help haha.

christmasoompa Jun 2nd 2014 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Amy1807 (Post 11285311)
That is quite sensible really when put like that. But then our funds will be greatly reduced. So you say that you don't need proof of funds and you work in immigration, yet the CIC site days you do but doesn't elaborate? Help haha.

I think you're getting confused (or maybe just using the wrong wording). 'Proof of Funds' is a specific amount that CIC want to see when applying for PR, but that's not mentioned anywhere in relation to a TWP. The CIC website does say the following on their page about Proof of Funds however: -

"You do not have to show that you have these funds if:

you have a valid offer of arranged employment in Canada........"

The bit you've quoted doesn't say Proof of Funds is required, it just says you must satisfy an officer that you have enough to support yourself, there's no set amount needed.

The bit you're quoting is for those applying via the visa office, but I assume you wouldn't do that anyway? As long as your husband can show he's got some funds in his bank account when he gets his TWP at POE (if he's asked, it's very rare to be), then he'll be fine. There is no actual 'Proof of Funds' required, i.e. no minimum amount he must have in his possession.

I thought this thread might be useful to give you an idea of how much it'll cost you to set up life in Canada, and things that you may not be budgeting for (i.e. banking charges, utility deposits, etc). http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735341

HTH.

Amy1807 Jun 2nd 2014 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11285325)
I think you're getting confused (or maybe just using the wrong wording). 'Proof of Funds' is a specific amount that CIC want to see when applying for PR, but that's not mentioned anywhere in relation to a TWP. The CIC website does say the following on their page about Proof of Funds however: -

"You do not have to show that you have these funds if:

you have a valid offer of arranged employment in Canada........"

The bit you've quoted doesn't say Proof of Funds is required, it just says you must satisfy an officer that you have enough to support yourself, there's no set amount needed.

The bit you're quoting is for those applying via the visa office, but I assume you wouldn't do that anyway? As long as your husband can show he's got some funds in his bank account when he gets his TWP at POE (if he's asked, it's very rare to be), then he'll be fine. There is no actual 'Proof of Funds' required, i.e. no minimum amount he must have in his possession.

I thought this thread might be useful to give you an idea of how much it'll cost you to set up life in Canada, and things that you may not be budgeting for (i.e. banking charges, utility deposits, etc). http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=735341

HTH.

I think it was me reading it wrong lol! Get it now.
Thanks so much for all your help, no doubt it won't be the last your hear from me lol

Lou Skannon Jun 5th 2014 1:18 am

For a company to be able to bring in foreign workers using a LMO; they must first show that they have a truck without a driver, work for that truck to do and that they have advertised for a driver to drive that truck.

When the Human Resource people come to the conclusion that the company needs to bring in a foreign worker to fill the vacancy; they issue the LMO.

That's why it is called "Labour Market Opinion". In the opinion of the people studying the labour market; the company needs to import a driver. Some big companies apply for LMOs and then go looking for drivers. Some small companies find a good driver and then get a LMO especially for him.

When I started at Big Freight; I was one of 5 names on the same LMO. It was faxed to me and I exchanged it for a 1 year work permit at the airport on arrival in Canada. At Flying Eagle, were I am now, the company had to put some adverts in the local press before they were able to get LMOs for Brit drivers.

Amy1807 Jun 5th 2014 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Lou Skannon (Post 11288653)
For a company to be able to bring in foreign workers using a LMO; they must first show that they have a truck without a driver, work for that truck to do and that they have advertised for a driver to drive that truck.

When the Human Resource people come to the conclusion that the company needs to bring in a foreign worker to fill the vacancy; they issue the LMO.

That's why it is called "Labour Market Opinion". In the opinion of the people studying the labour market; the company needs to import a driver. Some big companies apply for LMOs and then go looking for drivers. Some small companies find a good driver and then get a LMO especially for him.

When I started at Big Freight; I was one of 5 names on the same LMO. It was faxed to me and I exchanged it for a 1 year work permit at the airport on arrival in Canada. At Flying Eagle, were I am now, the company had to put some adverts in the local press before they were able to get LMOs for Brit drivers.

Thanks for the info.

Have you managed to swap employers on your TWP?
Are you applying for PR?

Lou Skannon Jun 6th 2014 12:21 am

Originally Posted by Amy1807 (Post 11289913)
Thanks for the info.

Have you managed to swap employers on your TWP?
Are you applying for PR?

I was at Big Freight for nearly 5 years, I got my PR after 2 years. I've been at Flying Eagle for 3 years. They expanded and took on a lot of Brit drivers when I first started but have cut back the fleet in the last year.

The best advice I can give; is to come over for a couple of weeks and have a good look round.

Gremmie Jun 7th 2014 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Lou Skannon (Post 11290217)
I was at Big Freight for nearly 5 years, I got my PR after 2 years. I've been at Flying Eagle for 3 years. They expanded and took on a lot of Brit drivers when I first started but have cut back the fleet in the last year.

The best advice I can give; is to come over for a couple of weeks and have a good look round.

I thought FET were closing up due to the Clarences divorce,,, also seen about 13 of your trailers being returned:blink:

Lou Skannon Jun 7th 2014 10:01 pm

No Gremmie, we're all pulling Payne trailers now.

Gremmie Jun 8th 2014 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Lou Skannon (Post 11292492)
No Gremmie, we're all pulling Payne trailers now.

So FET has gone down the pan then.....or has payne taken you over

Lou Skannon Jun 8th 2014 3:55 am

1 Attachment(s)
FET are still paying my wages and I'm still driving their truck, it just has Payne on the door and Payne despatch me with their trailers.

Gremmie Jun 9th 2014 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Lou Skannon (Post 11292766)
FET are still paying my wages and I'm still driving their truck, it just has Payne on the door and Payne despatch me with their trailers.

It sounds like an emergency action to keep the drivers employed for the time being,,, i think the writing is on the wall Lou:(:(

Amy1807 Jun 9th 2014 5:57 am

Could you guys give me some names of a few decent companies, or some that may be hiring?

neilcumming Jun 9th 2014 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Amy1807 (Post 11294151)
Could you guys give me some names of a few decent companies, or some that may be hiring?

I know a 2 drivers from this site who are coming to Canada this month with LMOs from H&R ,try them but you may have missed the boat for them this year.Bison I hear are waiting on LMOs coming through another one from Manitoba is Tranx.I have heard through these threads DJ Knoll are doing LMOs but I dont know anything about them.

Milanuk Jun 13th 2014 4:59 am

I have got two friends in D J Knoll and they seem to be happy....they now apply for PR...
I dont know anything about their wages but it looks they get regular time off...

Amy1807....you mainly need to speak to the companies...ask them if they have LMO available...they will also tell you what to do if you want to bring your family over....its not difficult.
Tell them truth about the driving experience and you will see......
If any company has spare LMO they can use it to bring you over.....the company will probably do a phone interview with you and if they are happy they will offer you a job....they will email you job offer and LMO with your name....they should also pay for your flight ticket.....once you land in Canada you will show these paperwork to the customs people and they will issue Work Permit....you will have to pay a fee CAD 150....it takes only a few minutes....you dont need to proof any funds etc....the name of your epmloyer will be showen on the Work Permit and you can work only for this company.....after 6 months you can apply for PR....in Saskatchewan it usually takes 8 weeks to get your PR nomination from the provincial office.....once you get your nomination you still have to apply for PR with the goverment....but....by this time you can change your job....but you can only go to another company in the same province that is doing long haul and they are aproved by the province to hire foreign drivers....

When I was about to fly over here in October 2012 my boss told me to bring CAD 5000 with me becouse I had to pay for my Class 1 licence and to have some money till the first pay cheque arrives....and it was just enaugh....but I didnt need to proof this money anywhere.....

Read the Thread "LMO Companies".....you will find some companies with LMOs there....but its not guaranteed they still have spare LMOs.....

And one more thing.....you can send emails to the companies to apply for a job with them or to contact them......sometimes they will not respond to you....nobody knows why....but if they dont respond it doesnt mean anything.....just give them call....I think they want you to show some effort.....

Amy1807 Jun 15th 2014 3:31 pm

Thanks guys.
Neil, can you come over to work in manitoba for trucking company? I searched but all I could find is info on truckers going to Saskatchewan?
Very helpful info Milanuk

I read somewhere that the wages for companies who have LMOs are really low, and if you have a family, you will struggle to get by on this wage. What (if anything) do you's know or of this?

Amy1807 Jun 15th 2014 3:31 pm

Thanks guys.
Neil, can you come over to work in manitoba for trucking company? I searched but all I could find is info on truckers going to Saskatchewan?
Very helpful info Milanuk

I read somewhere that the wages for companies who have LMOs are really low, and if you have a family, you will struggle to get by on this wage. What (if anything) do you's know or of this?

jamesmc Jun 15th 2014 4:37 pm

amy 1807....the wages paid to twps must be the same amount as they pay to locals.it will be in the job advert used to get your LMO..in MB you will get a contract with the min amount paid every month used to be $3500 for first 3 months then $4000 for rest of your contract.
will you struggle to get by??no body but you can answer that as we dont know what sort of lifestyle you want!.
jimmy.

Amy1807 Jun 15th 2014 5:09 pm

Hi Jimmy,
No, I don't think we would struggle on $3500-$4000/month, as long as the cost of living for an average joe isn't too high!
That's encouraging to hear, thanks

Amy1807 Jun 15th 2014 5:09 pm

Hi Jimmy,
No, I don't think we would struggle on $3500-$4000/month, as long as the cost of living for an average joe isn't too high!

christmasoompa Jun 15th 2014 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by Amy1807 (Post 11302853)
Hi Jimmy,

The cost of living will be around the same as in the UK as a rough guide, so if you can easily survive on the UK equivalent of that (around £1900), then you should be fine (unless you've got 8 children to support or want to live an extravagant life!).

Don't forget though that your spouse won't be able to work until you get PR in MB, so you'll need to be fine on that one income for a couple of years, you won't be able to top it up.

Good luck.

jamesmc Jun 15th 2014 7:17 pm

no not quite correct ....if you apply for MBPNP nomination after 6months employment and they agree to nominate..you can then get an open WP for your OH instead of waiting till you receive PR,i did it this way as did many others in MB on this forum.