truckers wives!!!

Old May 31st 2007, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

ejbsom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default truckers wives!!!

hi any truckers wives out there. my hubby is applying for long haul truck driving jobs over in canada. im going to be the one at home with the kids while hes gone any where between 10days and 3 weeks. anyone going through this already, whats it like. is the money/life style worth it.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 4:03 am
Just Joined

mac 1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: truckers wives!!!

Originally Posted by ejbsom
hi any truckers wives out there. my hubby is applying for long haul truck driving jobs over in canada. im going to be the one at home with the kids while hes gone any where between 10days and 3 weeks. anyone going through this already, whats it like. is the money/life style worth it.
mmm
Old Sep 11th 2007, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ejbsom
Hi been in Canada since June 06 got two teenagers 14 & 16 now they love it here. The first 6 months was great then reality and winter set in. the first piece of advice I can give you is apply for a work visa for your self before you come to Canada even if you don’t want or need to work it can take a lot of pressure of your husband, the money in truck driving is not great, it pays the bills but if you want extras i.e. clothes, food shopping going out for meals with family you need a LOT of savings!!!! And it doesn’t last long.
You have to get your kids involved in clubs/sports I have made most of my friends through helping out at my kids swimming clubs, soccer and school. Been to plenty bbq’s & pancake breakfasts.
You have to be prepared for your husband to complain and moan and be p***ed off and moan some more that the dispatchers has sent him the wrong paperwork for his job, that he has been delayed at customs, that there is no work to get him home, that he has no driving time left to get him home, that the load he is supposed to pick up is in the yard he has just left 30 mins ago that his truck has broke down and they cant get it fixed til tomorrow the problems go on and on my husband thought it was only him this was happening to but its not, every trip he has been on something has went wrong with him and other drivers he speaks to(he doesn’t get paid for these mistakes) even though they are not his fault.

Would we do it again if we knew the truth and took of the rose glasses yes for the people we have met very friendly, for the schools, for the health service, for the relaxed way of life for the amount of space you have from your neighbour, for the experiences that the kids have had (curling, fishing, skiing, skating on the lake) definitely for the job my husband would say definitely no. He loves Canada out side work but it is a long lonely job he can be driving for hours and there is just field after field and be prepared for winter minus 40 is real.

I would speak to as many people as pos who have lived or live in Canada (not been on holiday) for their own experiences. We are looking forward to the next two months when our paper work comes through but the last 15 months have been so hard there have been lots of tears.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:36 am
Just Joined

wigsey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mac 1
Hi been in Canada since June 06 got two teenagers 14 & 16 now they love it here. The first 6 months was great then reality and winter set in. the first piece of advice I can give you is apply for a work visa for your self before you come to Canada even if you don’t want or need to work it can take a lot of pressure of your husband, the money in truck driving is not great, it pays the bills but if you want extras i.e. clothes, food shopping going out for meals with family you need a LOT of savings!!!! And it doesn’t last long.
You have to get your kids involved in clubs/sports I have made most of my friends through helping out at my kids swimming clubs, soccer and school. Been to plenty bbq’s & pancake breakfasts.
You have to be prepared for your husband to complain and moan and be p***ed off and moan some more that the dispatchers has sent him the wrong paperwork for his job, that he has been delayed at customs, that there is no work to get him home, that he has no driving time left to get him home, that the load he is supposed to pick up is in the yard he has just left 30 mins ago that his truck has broke down and they cant get it fixed til tomorrow the problems go on and on my husband thought it was only him this was happening to but its not, every trip he has been on something has went wrong with him and other drivers he speaks to(he doesn’t get paid for these mistakes) even though they are not his fault.

Would we do it again if we knew the truth and took of the rose glasses yes for the people we have met very friendly, for the schools, for the health service, for the relaxed way of life for the amount of space you have from your neighbour, for the experiences that the kids have had (curling, fishing, skiing, skating on the lake) definitely for the job my husband would say definitely no. He loves Canada out side work but it is a long lonely job he can be driving for hours and there is just field after field and be prepared for winter minus 40 is real.

I would speak to as many people as pos who have lived or live in Canada (not been on holiday) for their own experiences. We are looking forward to the next two months when our paper work comes through but the last 15 months have been so hard there have been lots of tears.
hi, could we be nosey and ask where in Canada you are and what company you work for? We're looking at Lethbridge and h and r.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by wigsey
hi, could we be nosey and ask where in Canada you are and what company you work for? We're looking at Lethbridge and h and r.
hi we are living in Saskatchewen husband is working for Kindersley (would not recomend them) unfortunately there is not much to choose between any of them he has heard good reports on Bison (newer equipment, wages seem to be the same all around not much to pick and choose. he hasnt heard any thing good or bad about h&r. have you done a reccy, trip to lethbridge?
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:45 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mac 1
hi we are living in Saskatchewen husband is working for Kindersley (would not recomend them) unfortunately there is not much to choose between any of them he has heard good reports on Bison (newer equipment, wages seem to be the same all around not much to pick and choose. he hasnt heard any thing good or bad about h&r. have you done a reccy, trip to lethbridge?
Hi, I've just arrived in Saskatchewan OH working for Yanke
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Check out Prudhomme and the SK transport Assoc website
http://www.sasktrucking.com/ click LINKS to acces Carrier list,they also have info on Immigration
http://www.prudhommetrucks.com
Old Aug 9th 2008, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Batang_pandacan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone!... i'm a filipina, we live hear in the Philippines and i just made my account here even if i am not a British... hope you guys dont mind...
my purpose of joining here is because my husband is applying in canada for a truck driver, i dont know exactly what place in canada but during my husband interview they asked him if he knows what is like in saskatchewan... the lifestyle, the place, what it looks like.. is it a good place? how about the people there, are they friendly?... i'm worrying about my husband possible status there.. can anyone help me about this matter?.... coz we have possibility to go there too... we have 3 kids our eldest is 10 yrs old the 2nd one is 4 yrs old and our youngest is only 10 months old... is it safe there?...please please help.....
Old Aug 9th 2008, 5:50 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batang_pandacan
Hello everyone!... i'm a filipina, we live hear in the Philippines and i just made my account here even if i am not a British... hope you guys dont mind...
my purpose of joining here is because my husband is applying in canada for a truck driver, i dont know exactly what place in canada but during my husband interview they asked him if he knows what is like in saskatchewan... the lifestyle, the place, what it looks like.. is it a good place? how about the people there, are they friendly?... i'm worrying about my husband possible status there.. can anyone help me about this matter?.... coz we have possibility to go there too... we have 3 kids our eldest is 10 yrs old the 2nd one is 4 yrs old and our youngest is only 10 months old... is it safe there?...please please help.....
Hello and welcome

Saskatchewan is a lovely place, the people are very friendly and welcoming to newcomers.

Who is your husband seeking employment with?
Old Aug 10th 2008, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna_D
Hello and welcome

Saskatchewan is a lovely place, the people are very friendly and welcoming to newcomers.

With a trucking company lorna please try and keep up dear
Old Aug 10th 2008, 1:38 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Originally Posted by Gremmie
With a trucking company lorna please try and keep up dear
funny, I was only on my second cup of coffee, you'll have to be patient.

What I actually meant to write was what trucking company was he looking to work for ....................... there is that clearer
Old Aug 10th 2008, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Hello and welcome

Hi Lorna,

How nice of you... thank you for your reply! my husband might be working at the siemens transportation... that's what he heared, we are not sure about it yet, maybe they will tell him on his last interview this coming week... hopefully the result be ok!..
one more question, i saw some images of saskatchewan place ,regina i think.. maybe ,well..... i really dont know.. . i can only see skies and no homes, if we are going to be there in God's time......will my kids going to like it? the houses.. i'm thinking we might dont have any neighbors from what i have seen from the pictures.. how about the school? is it nice also? we might be very very lonely if we can't make some friends there, and my children might not have any neighbor playmates because houses are too much apart?... ooohhh... what such a negative thoughts i have!... but hope you guys understand... thanks again and may God bless you!

it's me
miles
Old Aug 10th 2008, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

vickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud of

Hi living in Saskatoon there are lots of English drivers here i work for siemans and love it I think they are a great company to work for. There are lots of English wifes here and they meet up every so often and chat over coffee. The English drivers meet up and chat over beer and other stuff. The freindship we have found in Saskatoon is great. We love living here
Old Aug 10th 2008, 10:29 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Originally Posted by Batang_pandacan
Hi Lorna,

How nice of you... thank you for your reply! my husband might be working at the siemens transportation... that's what he heared, we are not sure about it yet, maybe they will tell him on his last interview this coming week... hopefully the result be ok!..
one more question, i saw some images of saskatchewan place ,regina i think.. maybe ,well..... i really dont know.. . i can only see skies and no homes, if we are going to be there in God's time......will my kids going to like it? the houses.. i'm thinking we might dont have any neighbors from what i have seen from the pictures.. how about the school? is it nice also? we might be very very lonely if we can't make some friends there, and my children might not have any neighbor playmates because houses are too much apart?... ooohhh... what such a negative thoughts i have!... but hope you guys understand... thanks again and may God bless you!

it's me
miles

I was going to mention Vickysteve when I say the company name and lo and behold she arrives

I think the schools are ok anywhere, our children are back home in Wales and have their own families.

Good luck to your husband for his interview
Old Aug 11th 2008, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: truckers wives!!!

I was going to mention Vickysteve when I say the company name and lo and behold she arrives

I think the schools are ok anywhere, our children are back home in Wales and have their own families.

Good luck to your husband for his interview
HI once again!!!.... thank you so much for all your concerns! i really really appreciate it!... thanks lorna, thanks steve!... now my minds are clear! thanks to both of you!!!...

when everything is ok.. i will let you know guys!... hope to be there with my husband in soonest time!
God Bless you always!!!

it's me
miles