Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Truck driving schools in nova scotia ?

Truck driving schools in nova scotia ?

Old Mar 14th 2010, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

baggerslorna1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Truck driving schools in nova scotia ?

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
andy_sheila will be able to give you good info as he did his course with Commercial Safety College then his company attachment with a local company I forget which one.

Get in touch with Andy and I'm sure he'll help you out and answer any questions.. save him sat at home just watching TV will give him something to do....
Hi all just a quick one for davie_mac, i take it that by your icon that you are ex forces? i am still serving and out in less than 2 years. Me and the family are looking at emigrating to NS would you mind if i could get some information from you?

cheers. baggerslorna1
Old Mar 15th 2010, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by baggerslorna1
Hi all just a quick one for davie_mac, i take it that by your icon that you are ex forces? i am still serving and out in less than 2 years. Me and the family are looking at emigrating to NS would you mind if i could get some information from you?

cheers. baggerslorna1
No Problem mate ask away.

What do you need to know...
Old Mar 16th 2010, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply,
firstly did you have any problems converting any of your skills to the canadian market, As a lot of stuff you learn in the army does'nt really convert to anything but we still have that experience. if you dont mind me asking how long have you been out in canada and do you live in NS. Are there any job trends at the moment which i could use my resettlement to increase the chance of getting employment?.

Much appreciated.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by baggerslorna1

cheers. baggerslorna1
I read that you still have 2 years to serve, the thing is the world sittuation changes on an almost daily basis, so what ever info Dave gives today will most certainly be of little help 2 years down the road. If you and family are dead set in coming to Canada start now though with your application as that can take about 4 years. Unless you intend to come ona PNP system, which might not exist in 2 years.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Cheers gremmie,

Yea we are dead cert on canada, I could be out next April if the right situation arose. We were looking at the PNP route as i spoke with a few people at a emigration fair the other week from NS. The other thing is trying to get all my qualifications changed to match civi speak or more so canadian civi speak.
Whats the main stream for jobs in NS shipping mining ect?.

Thanks again mate.
Old Jan 13th 2011, 7:52 am
Just Joined

stevebkm is an unknown quantity at this point

R u sure it is $9080. I don't think its affordable. The price is so high. Search for other driving schools which provide at low cost.
Florida Traffic School
Drug and Alcohol Course
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stevebkm
R u sure it is $9080. I don't think its affordable. The price is so high. Search for other driving schools which provide at low cost.
Florida Traffic School
Drug and Alcohol Course
$9080 is for Class 1 in Nova Scotia - we've just been given the same info.

Any thoughts on if this is worth it - they quote 95% of those who take the course find work straight after taking the course.

However, we've searched on Labour Market Information in Canada and it only quotes average hourly salary as $20. That really wouldn't be worth shelling out nearly $10k...

Does anyone know if this is about right? Seem to be able to get $20 an hour driving a bus (with training on the job).