Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.

SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.

Old Nov 1st 2007, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.

Last time I talked anything but trucks with you I got a referral so must have pissed someone off.

Please explain the above comment Lorna,and we'll forget the massage
Old Nov 1st 2007, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

paulburt is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by marcustandy
Whilst I agree that this post has dragged out somewhat, I do feel that a straight answer to BT's question (and for the others who are watching silently in the background) would have been the better solution.

Now I am left wondering why it is being treated as 'need to know' info? For example, a slight amount of research and I found this, on a company website, available for all to see!!

*Sorry, the original layout doesn't 'copy & paste' very well.

Mileage: TL LTL or Straight

Rate per mile $.42 $.45

DROP RATES ETC. TRUCKLOAD LTL DIVISION

Each Drop or Pickup
(Hourly delay pay* after 2 hours) $ 29.41 $ 35.29

Trailer Washout
(By yourself) $ 11.76 $ 11.76

Trailer Sweepout
(By yourself) $ 5.87 $ 5.87

Trailer Washout or Sweepout
(By another Company) $ 5.59 $ 5.59

Meat Inspection
(Hourly delay pay* after 2 hours) $ 29.41 $ 52.94

Customs Clearance
(Hourly delay pay* after 2 hours) $ 17.65 $ 35.29

Pre/post Trip $ 17.65 $ 35.29

Drop Trailer $ 5.87 $ 5.87

Drop & Hook $ 11.76 $ 11.76

New York City Bonus $ 35.29 $ 35.29

Layover Pay $ 58.81 $ 58.81

* Paid waiting time for delays $ 17.58/hour $ 17.58/hour

Some info similar to the above (although we now know those kind of figures are just a dream to some people) would have been deemed a helpful answer. As it has transpired, the end result leaves something of a dubious question mark.

A sceptical person might well think that Big Truck touched a raw nerve with someone!

Ultimately, I am happy for those that are happy doing what they are enjoying, earning what they are happy with and living where it makes them happy. Good luck to Loafy & Chris and I sincerely hope you keep enjoying all aspects of the lifestyle and choices you have made.

I still don't feel it's right though, for some other people on this thread to berate others who are still in the process of researching their 'big move'!!
i fully agree with the above, perhaps bt worded some of his posts in such a way that it looked as if he was calling those already there idiots for going in the first place which if intentional was a bit out of order but the fact remains that all the companies over there, at least the ones i've looked into, are quite open about their pay packages, (and why wouldn't they be? they are after all trying to entice drivers into joining their company) both on their websites and employment contracts and have all been happy to answer any queries on the phone, except seafood where it seems you need some special code before you can get an answer to the simplest of questions, and yes i have rung, more than once!
you hav'nt got to be a genius to work out that pei wages are lower than most areas (apparently along with the cost of living) so it's gona be no suprise to anyone to find that also includes truck driving, so why the big secret?

Last edited by paulburt; Nov 1st 2007 at 4:19 am.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by paulburt
perhaps bt worded some of his posts in such a way that it looked as if he was calling those already there idiots for going in the first place
I never said Loafy/Chris12/Davie-mac or Kerry's hubby were idiots,the "half a brain" statement was really in jest at Mr Roach's suspicious "MI5" type secrecy over SFE extra payments if indeed there are any apart from maybe a quarterly "safety" bonus.
My opinion on the reason that SFE are "unforthcoming" about total wages is that possibly there is only one reason why they have struggled to attract/keep drivers in the past before the arrival of the UK guy's and that was solely their "low" wages and lack of extra type payments.
Everything esle, IE the actual driving bit,living on PEI,the "shorter" version of long haul,their equipment,the drivers have been quite happy with!!!

Now that SFE are "full up" for drivers have you looked at the following at all?:
www.bulkcarrierspei.com

Last edited by Big Truck; Nov 1st 2007 at 6:28 am.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Truck
I never said Loafy/Chris12/Davie-mac or Kerry's hubby were idiots,the "half a brain" statement was really in jest at Mr Roach's suspicious "MI5" type secrecy over SFE extra payments if indeed there are any apart from maybe a quarterly "safety" bonus.
My opinion on the reason that SFE are "unforthcoming" about total wages is that possibly there is only one reason why they have struggled to attract/keep drivers in the past before the arrival of the UK guy's and that was solely their "low" wages and lack of extra type payments.
Everything esle, IE the actual driving bit,living on PEI,the "shorter" version of long haul,their equipment,the drivers have been quite happy with!!!

Now that SFE are "full up" for drivers have you looked at the following at all?:
www.bulkcarrierspei.com
Brilliant absolutely brilliant,
you have just proven to me and anybody with half a brain that what I've posted about SFE wages is 100% correct!!!
What an answer,
straight out of the company HR book on duping potential drivers,
just what you would expect from a trucking company recruiter who knows there's NOT many perks to offer any potential employee.
What person in their right state of mind would imigrate to Canada to work for SFE if they are told the above?

Your "half a brain" statement implies that if some one cannot see your point of view in this case they then therefore have only half a brain,which subsequently implies that thee drivers ie. Loafy,Chriss,etc.etc are less than fully stacked.
Your second statement "state of mind" goes even further to imply that the said drivers mental state is also dubious,because said drivers knew full well what the make up of the wages would be when they applied for the job and still immigrated.
So you did infact say that Chris,Loafy,Kerry's hubby (does he have a name?) and Davie Mac only have half a brain and are all round the twist
Which i'm almost inclined to agree with but on other grounds than yours
Sorry guy's i couldent resist that last bit
Old Nov 1st 2007, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gremmie
So you did infact say that Chris,Loafy,Kerry's hubby (does he have a name?) and Davie Mac only have half a brain and are all round the twist
Which i'm almost inclined to agree with but on other grounds than yours
Sorry guy's i couldent resist that last bit

It's not the first or last time that it has been implied I have a scew loose but until the men in white coats drag me away I am right up there with the rest of them.

P.S Hubbys name is Bob
Old Nov 1st 2007, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Here's another to have a look at and argue the toss...........However EVERYTHING IS RELEVANT.

In the area regarding the above you could not buy a decent 4 bed house that we want for less than $380.000

You have higher wages you have higher cost of living in that area so your really no better off just coz your earning more.

I have a mate in NI who is a network engineer on £18.000 pa the same job in London will pay £36.000 plus bonuses....plus extortionate house prices / food / tax / congestion charge / stress of daily life and commuting BLAH BLAH, just coz your earning more does not give you a better quality or happier life.

I can not honestly see why BT would want to move from NI at present to be honest with you with the amount of massive construction and regenaration going on in the Province there is a fortune to be made in the construction industry, therefore if money is so important then there is a killing to be made buy more tippers get in on more contracts earn the money then retire to Canada and the wages will not be an issue.

Last edited by DAVIE_MAC; Nov 1st 2007 at 11:53 am.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future

I agree,

If you go west you earn more pay more
if you go east you earn less pay less

Not rocket science
Old Nov 1st 2007, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

paulburt is an unknown quantity at this point

don't think theres anybody who can't work out the lower wages/lower cost of living on pei but the fact remains that as far as seafood is concerned, their recruiter (i use the term in the loosest manner) is either unable or simply refuses to come up with a figure of average earnings for their drivers over the last twelve months, what if any extra payments over and above the mileage rate there might be or even what a driver will earn on one of their regular runs! all seems a bit odd to me, as does the fact that he's chosen to post on here for the last two or three months under a different name as if he were a prospective driver, now that IS weird!
Old Nov 1st 2007, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Who has he been then?
Old Nov 1st 2007, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kerlynkeo
Who has he been then?
Yeh who,that would be interesting to know ??????
Old Nov 1st 2007, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Come on paulburt, you posted it for the reaction and intrigue

However, I must say I would be surprised if it is true

Last edited by lilacheart; Nov 1st 2007 at 5:24 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

deannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant futuredeannos has a brilliant future

don't think theres anybody who can't work out the lower wages/lower cost of living on pei but the fact remains that as far as seafood is concerned, their recruiter (i use the term in the loosest manner) is either unable or simply refuses to come up with a figure of average earnings for their drivers over the last twelve months, what if any extra payments over and above the mileage rate there might be or even what a driver will earn on one of their regular runs! all seems a bit odd to me, as does the fact that he's chosen to post on here for the last two or three months under a different name as if he were a prospective driver, now that IS weird!
It's BT,split personallity
Old Nov 1st 2007, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kerlynkeo
Come on paulbert, you posted it for the reaction and intrigue

However, I must say I would be surprised if it is true
It's just like that board game Cluedo..... it was ????????????
Old Nov 1st 2007, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by deannos
It's BT,split personallity
Thats it,i knew it, and said he was a spy,and yesterday he mentioned MI5 aswell.
Old Nov 1st 2007, 5:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

is either unable or simply refuses to come up with a figure of average earnings for their drivers over the last twelve months, what if any extra payments over and above the mileage rate there might be or even what a driver will earn on one of their regular runs! !

The contract of employment we have (and had before we came out to see) states all of the above very clearly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.