owner drivers

Old Aug 14th 2007, 4:54 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 14
shrug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default owner drivers

Hi All, I am thinking of moving over to Canada, probably BC area. I have 20 years HGV experience, mainly uk and some europe, trouble is I have allways had my own truck and got by as an owner driver, can anyone tell me what the options are like as far as "Operators License" etc, Any info would be welcome, thanks Martin.
shrug is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2007, 5:01 am
  #2  
Slightly Canadian
 
Atlantic Xpat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 10,129
Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: owner drivers

This thread might be of interest then....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471567

Andy works on the East Coast as an Owner-Operator. Might be worth getting in touch with him.
Atlantic Xpat is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2007, 7:02 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
 
Gremmie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Posts: 4,423
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: owner drivers

Originally Posted by shrug
Hi All, I am thinking of moving over to Canada, probably BC area. I have 20 years HGV experience, mainly uk and some europe, trouble is I have allways had my own truck and got by as an owner driver, can anyone tell me what the options are like as far as "Operators License" etc, Any info would be welcome, thanks Martin.
Hi, just a silly question. How do you intend to get into BC as a trucker?????
Gremmie is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:47 am
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 14
shrug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: owner drivers

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Hi, just a silly question. How do you intend to get into BC as a trucker?????
Is there only certain areas of canada that run trucks ?
shrug is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2007, 8:48 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 14
shrug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: owner drivers

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
This thread might be of interest then....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471567

Andy works on the East Coast as an Owner-Operator. Might be worth getting in touch with him.
thanks for the link,
shrug is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2007, 11:30 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Gremmie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Posts: 4,423
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: owner drivers

Originally Posted by shrug
Is there only certain areas of canada that run trucks ?
No the trucks are every where,but on a WP or PNP YOU cant get in every where.Thats the problem. BC has no PNP (at this time) for truckers. Myself and a few others have been let in on a trial basis i think is the best way to put it. Alberta,Sak,Manitoba and most of the other prov's have this system up and running in various forms for immigrants. Any the wiser
Gremmie is offline  
Old Aug 14th 2007, 2:53 pm
  #7  
Class 1 Driver and Nurse
 
andy_sheila's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Kentville, N.S.
Posts: 1,498
andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: owner drivers

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
This thread might be of interest then....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471567

Andy works on the East Coast as an Owner-Operator. Might be worth getting in touch with him.
Happy to help in anyway i can...............
andy_sheila is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2007, 3:43 am
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 14
shrug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: owner drivers

Originally Posted by Gremmie
No the trucks are every where,but on a WP or PNP YOU cant get in every where.Thats the problem. BC has no PNP (at this time) for truckers. Myself and a few others have been let in on a trial basis i think is the best way to put it. Alberta,Sak,Manitoba and most of the other prov's have this system up and running in various forms for immigrants. Any the wiser
yep that males sense, cheers, do you happen to know much about getting Canadian O Licenses ? thanks
shrug is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2007, 3:56 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Gremmie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Posts: 4,423
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: owner drivers

You're jumping the gun a bit mate aren't you. Get first a job over here,get your papers to come over here,get a licence here,then start working and living here, then read this
http://www.ontruck.org/careers/drive...evelopment.htm
Gremmie is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2007, 5:02 am
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 14
shrug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: owner drivers

Originally Posted by Gremmie
You're jumping the gun a bit mate aren't you. Get first a job over here,get your papers to come over here,get a licence here,then start working and living here, then read this
http://www.ontruck.org/careers/drive...evelopment.htm
thanks again, but it ain't a case of jumping the gun, it's just that I like to find out in advance if there is any restrictions or obstacles to a long term plan, for instance you might have said that in canada you have to have been a resident for 5years to become self employed! ( As yet I'm not familiar with their laws).
So 1/ get a job offer. 2/get papers sorted. 3/get licence. 4/get company driver experience. 5/ Now then,whats the procedure for O licenceing and what does it involve?.
Now that is my long term plan, if I can accomplish everything on the list it's a go'er . if you see where I'm coming from. cheers
shrug is offline  
Old Aug 15th 2007, 11:43 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
Gremmie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Posts: 4,423
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: owner drivers

Shit your plan is similar to mine:curse: and to date and as far as i know buy a truck and start. I dont know of any operators licence here, i had my own truck in the UK and then in Switzerland and thats my plan for here, but slowly As soon as i find out more i will post it ok,but get the other stuff done first
Gremmie is offline  
Old Aug 16th 2007, 4:50 am
  #12  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 14
shrug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: owner drivers

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Shit your plan is similar to mine:curse: and to date and as far as i know buy a truck and start. I dont know of any operators licence here, i had my own truck in the UK and then in Switzerland and thats my plan for here, but slowly As soon as i find out more i will post it ok,but get the other stuff done first
Cheers Gremmie, good luck with your plans, Martin
shrug is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.