Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Need advice on moving to aussie as a trucker?

Need advice on moving to aussie as a trucker?

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:44 am
Just Joined

bigrig1979 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need advice on moving to aussie as a trucker?

Hi all well been thinking about emigrating to australia for a while now Im 29 and it would be a sole application.I have had my hgv licence which is clean for 5 yrs now with 3 and a half yrs class 1 experience I have my ADR ticket tanks/packages with 2 and a half year hazourdous tanker experience not sure where I would like to settle yet maybe perth or brisbane.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks all.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

bigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to all
Default Re: Need advice on moving to aussie as a trucker?

If you are working right now, my call to you is STAY there, as like in UK, Australia is not looking too hot on the jobs on offer.

Think about it in 12-mths time......you have youth on ya side.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

karron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nice

dont bank on being able to go to australia to drive trucks,really nigh on impossible.try asking on the australian forum for a wider audience.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 7:20 am
Sunny Alberta!

Geordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to allGeordielass is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bigrig1979
Hi all well been thinking about emigrating to australia for a while now Im 29 and it would be a sole application.I have had my hgv licence which is clean for 5 yrs now with 3 and a half yrs class 1 experience I have my ADR ticket tanks/packages with 2 and a half year hazourdous tanker experience not sure where I would like to settle yet maybe perth or brisbane.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks all.
Hi, we have been looking at OZ to and OH has haz chem like you but its is impossible to get out there at the moment. I have friends that are coming back because the job is not safe on 457 visa with the recession and a Migration Agent told us we had no chance.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 11:11 am
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice

Can you go over as a coach driver bigwheels, or where did i read someone driving a coach...hmmm was it you?
Old Jan 25th 2009, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

bigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CurtNIR
Can you go over as a coach driver bigwheels, or where did i read someone driving a coach...hmmm was it you?
Coach Captin is possible but still with conditions in Australia, its hard to find any companies employing.

Largest is:

Greyhound/Pioneer

http://www.greyhound.com.au/

Jobs info is located:

http://www.greyhound.com.au/AboutGre...greyhound.aspx

Be my guest, ask the Q? directly to them, I know some ex-leeds and National Express drivers went over with their sponsorship last year.

Keep forum posted on any progress?

Here is one |Job

Coach Captain (Townsville)
Full Time

Position
We currently have a Full Time Coach Captain position available based in Townsville. Reporting to the Regional Manager North QLD, the successful applicant will be responsible for:

* Transporting passengers, freight, mail and luggage to their destination safely and on time;
* Preparing the coach for travel and drop off, including checking fuel levels and the adequacy of stocks for the toilet and drinking water;
* Checking in passengers from boarding lists and helping them to board and disembark;
* Completing appropriate records, e.g. log books, manifests, pre-departure checks;
* Communicating effectively with others, especially about possible delays;
* Checking the safety and hygiene of the coach, e.g. perform basic mechanical repairs, change tyres;
* Handing in lost property, tickets and money when required;
* Demonstrating appropriate duty of care and responsibility for all passengers

Qualifications
Send Applications To
Expressions of interest addressing the above mentioned criteria and quoting the relevant reference number should be forwarded to Human Resources Department, PO Box 1475, Eagle Farm. Queensland 4009.
Fax
07 3868 0980
Email
[email protected]
Posted On
7/01/2009
Closing Date
15/01/2009

Last edited by bigwheels241; Jan 25th 2009 at 1:36 pm. Reason: added the job details
Old Jan 26th 2009, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Doomed to be stuck in the West Midlands forever!!!!
Twink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to allTwink001 is a name known to all

Hi,

Hubby is a trucker, and he was told that truckers jobs where taken off the in-demand list several months ago - hence it is nigh on impossible to get over there as a truck driver. Was advised it could possibly be done as a dump truck driver in the mines? Whether this is the situation now, I have no idea?
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Twink001
Hi,

Hubby is a trucker, and he was told that truckers jobs where taken off the in-demand list several months ago - hence it is nigh on impossible to get over there as a truck driver. Was advised it could possibly be done as a dump truck driver in the mines? Whether this is the situation now, I have no idea?
Every sector on Australia is feeling the strain of this downslide.....like all other countries.

The mines have jobs, YES but getting into there is harder than a church mouse getting into cheese. Locals are losing jobs around mines and taking up other positions, thus making positions that could be taken by outsiders.

Last week, was informed that 4 ex-UK drivers left NZ to return home as the downturn was cutting their driving hours to keep the business alive.

Today, I am in France and talking to another driver here he is looking for another job, as his company is down on hours for all drivers, he said even in France, 3-mths ago, you could just walk next door and start work, now you have to beg for a job.

One thinks soon, that there will be more drivers seeking work than jobs out there.

Last edited by bigwheels241; Jan 28th 2009 at 5:35 am. Reason: bloody spelling mistakes again....
Old Aug 6th 2009, 12:26 pm
MicheleandBarry

MicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really niceMicheleandBarry is just really nice

hi mate, am driving trucks over in oz at the mo,
need to get over before you get a job as was said b4 truck drivers is off the list last i heard.
you can get over at 29 on a working visa for 2 yrs and go from there mate thats my advice theres plenty of options after that but you need to be here to take advantage mate.
as for the doomsayers not much of a downturn over here in melbourne outside the banking sector few people laid off, but if your willing too look and work hard you`ll get a job no worries mate.

take it easy and doont give up
cheers
barry