Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Marmite well you either love it or hate it

Marmite well you either love it or hate it

Old May 15th 2009, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

nick61 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marmite well you either love it or hate it

This is about my 2 weeks in Canada so far hope it helps because its opened my eyes up.
Well lets just start at Calgary airport. When I got to customs and handed my passport over the customs official asked me where I was going I said I didn't know I didn't have any plans except to see my cousin in Winnipeg the following weekend. Well then I got asked about a hundred questions, have you met this cousin, what job do you do, return flight tickets, and the rest of the usual questions. I thought I'm only here for 2 weeks. Then its off to the rental place (car booked for morning). I get a discount for the local hotel from the rental company (free WIFI when I tell the Duty Manager about Customs not bad eh). Gets to the rental co and she's not bothered about scratches and minor dents thats just where and tear but the windscreen is another matter
Cracks must be paid for (so thats another $275 cdn to pay). It smashed on 1st day. Drove up to Jasper and stayed the night at www.beckerschalets.com opens 1st of May for summer expensive but lovely.
So only one night, went into Jasper to find B&B www.stayinjasper.com very reasonable from $40 per night. So I stayed 3 nights no WIFI but Bar in town does Downstream for a meal and a drink its free with electric if needed.
Plenty to do around Jasper the tramway for 1 www.jaspertramway.com.
The big thing about it so far is the people are so friendly and the roads are empty and I mean no cars, can you imagine driving around the M25 and only seeing 2 cars I'm in Heaven. The road from Jasper to Winnipeg is like that 1 road Highway 16 no need for a map check it out on google. You need to keep filling up with coffee and gas (petrol) (take I Pod with you plenty of songs). Not all towns in Canada have alcohol so be careful were you stop. Winnipeg and the Flyingj are okay. Met a fellow trucker down there through the Expats forum on the Sat, went in truck on Sunday enjoyed every minute of it he's been with Kindersley for over 3 yrs and loves it only wished he'd done it sooner. Then I met a company boss and had a good chat no jobs but will keep my info on file and will share it. As I was only 5 minutes away from the border I thought I would get another stamp in my passport (same problem with the Americans no address to go to only wanted to go to nearest town). It took me longer to go through customs than drive 2 miles to buy a T shirt then drive back,saw same guy he said there's more 2 America than 2 miles. (but it was worth it ) I'm just a mad Englishman.
Managed to hook up with Gremmie for the day most enjoyable.
Canada on the whole is lovely the people are friendly the food is not what we are used to back home but I haven't starved as they say when in Rome.
The job front is quite at the moment but we know that at the moment. I have fallen in love with the place its so peaceful, blue skies, empty roads for the best part. Sometimes we forget why we want to leave the UK in the 1st place (Even the Canadains can't get workers to work on the pipe lines for over $30 cdns an hr or $60 thousand a yr and thats the teenagers).
So you either love it or hate it I love it but thats only my view I'm sure others would agree some would not roll on the busy times .

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope you enjoyed it

Nick
Old May 15th 2009, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Marmite well you either love it or hate it

Just to add on to that. I know I'm on my own and have not worked over here yet, but jobs are the same all over the world as new drivers we get taken advantage of no matter who we work, for we just have to be BIG enough to take it and get on with life. On the money front if you don't earn a lot then you don't spend a lot. Shop at ALDI and not at MARKS & SPENCERS for your grocerys simple. Buy a small car or not a new one living out of town might be cheaper, you just have to cut your cloth accordingly just as you would back home.

My first job on the big trucks was a car transporter totally different to just operating a tail lift on a box. My boss told me that I should give it at least 3 months to get used to it. It was strange but I needed the job (no class 1 exp)
so with out it I was jobless, not even the agencys would take me on. So I had to stick with it 2 yrs later I'm still there and loving the job wished I'd taken my HGV1 years ago. So we just have to take what we get in life who knows what's around the next corner. Life is too short to put things on hold just go out a make the most of what you can whether its in the UK or living abroad just do it.
Old May 15th 2009, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Glad to hear your loving it Nick
I have been to Canada a few times and know what your n about with the roads, the friendliness etc. I hope to be over there for a reccy Jun- Jul this year.
So are you back in the UK or are you still out there?
Old May 15th 2009, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

I read ya posts twice,,,was it got to do with Marmite tho
Old May 15th 2009, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

You love it or hate it?
Old May 15th 2009, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

I love marmite....a big dolloping spoonful of the delicious nectar yum
Old May 15th 2009, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

All I can say is YUK!
Old May 15th 2009, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dinger24
You love it or hate it?
You got it just like the rest of the world,(you love it or hate it) just got to the Super 8 in Cochrane just north of Calgary for my last night, Off to Lake Louise in morning cause I missed it on the way up last time. driven over 5000kms and got stuck in one traffic jam in Calgary this afternoon 6 car pile up and roadworks to boot, still quicker then UK. Off to Boston Pizza for dinner now.
And I got cheap rates not just cause I'm a trucker the lady that signed me in was born in Liverpool funny how everyone was born in the UK.
Old May 15th 2009, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well done mate, last time I was in Calgary I met an old dear in the Grey hound Bus depot who was from Glasgow, still had her accent after almost 40yrs
We got a free brew and a cake each (there was about 12 of us!)
Old May 15th 2009, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

Don't you just love it
Old May 15th 2009, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Did you find any potential employers?
I wouldnt say any names of potential employers on here BTW! I would keep them to yourself
Old May 16th 2009, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Yes a couple one is taking on in about 6 weeks but I think I will concentrate on Winnipeg if it takes 6 months that won't be a problem gives me plenty of time to earn lots of money to replace the £3000 I've just spent but boy wasn't it worth it. Listen we earn it so we should be able to enjoy it. Happy Days
Old May 16th 2009, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Yep - It only ruins my jeans as it burns holes in them!
Old May 16th 2009, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Well I'm now at the airport handy tip for you dinger make sure your rental car has chips on the screen then instead of paying over $300 bucks I only paid $90 what a result $129 with gas company was Hertz.
I love it and Marmite's not bad either you either get it or don't.
There's a garage down in Penryn that calls a Skoda Roomster the Marmite car for the same reason in Norwich they call it the Pope mobile so as I say
You either love it or hate it
Old May 19th 2009, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Well I got back to Heathrow for 11am picked up car, drove home to Peterborough and was in the pub for 1400hrs (or for you Gremmie 2pm). As I say you just got to love it, Canada that is, Marmite's not bad either. Back to the traffic jams M25 say no more. And this was on a Sunday morning as well.
Pub was fairly busy got bought a pint as soon as I walked in not bad eh. O well its back to the old slog up and down the country, got to earn lots of money for my next forte, where depends on the job front. But hopefully Canada again for interviews, well we will see until next time.

Nick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.