Making The Right Choice.

Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:09 am
Just Joined

KungFuTrucker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Making The Right Choice.

Hi guys.
I'm from Edinburgh, Scotland. I've been driving trucks here in the U.K. for over 20yrs. Mostly distance work. I'm definitely coming to Canada, but want to make sure I get it as right as possible first time. I've been reading lots of posts on forums and some of the stories of companies are pretty scary.
Here's my question.
Can I have you guys opinions on some companies?
Timeline logistic, Donnelly Farm, Westcan, B&D Walter Transport, Kindersley Transport, First continental, Hughson Transport.
I'm sorry for the massive list and I know opinions vary, but are there any there that I should steer clear of? Who would you say was the better of them?
I appreciate your experience and I thank you in advance.

Paul.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Making The Right Choice.

Hello,
First I'll tell you I have not driven for any of these companies but will give my 2 cents worth.
Have you got PR ??
If not, I think that takes First Continental & Hughsons off your list, I believe they (Hughsons) only have LMO's for US drivers, but stand to be corrected & First Continental want 3yrs US experience & no mention of LMO's on their website.
Kindersley, a definite NO, crap money & crap tackle.
Westcan, NO, I have spoken to a good few drivers (English) and not one had a good word for them.
Heard good & bad about Donnelly.
I know a fair few drivers went to B&D Walter from H&R & they reckoned it to be a good job.
There are a couple of drivers on here from Timeline and they seem happy enough.
Also there is Watt & Stewart in Claresholm AB. They have/had LMO's.
Heard good & bad about them.
Good luck.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Hi neilg14
Thank you very much for your 2 cents worth. It's worth more than that to me. I've, unfortunately just sent a cv to all of those companies, but I obviously don't need to accept anything. Getting a decent job in Canada certainly doesn't seem to be easy. But I'm coming over regardless. I will definitelt contact Watt & Stewart.
Many thanks again for your time and input.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KungFuTrucker
I've, unfortunately just sent a cv to all of those companies,
I hope you haven't, I hope you sent them a resume though.

Good luck!
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Yes resume not CV First Continental not good , Westcan depends who you speak to but mostly penny pinching hypocrites , Depends were you want to start ? Loblaws in Regina SK might be the best to get your foot in the door at the moment , Its cold out there though
Old Jan 14th 2014, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, forgot about Loblaws, only thinking this side of the prairies, that would probably be who I'd go for if I was doing this all again now & much easier for PR in SK & MB.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Also heard bad things about Kindersley recently , But that was from a professional whinger , Got to pick the company that suits YOU not anyone else , So try and pick one that does similar type of work you did in the UK. You'll feel a lot more comfortable quicker that way .
Old Jan 14th 2014, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys.
I've mostly been doing fridge work, but I've read that Reefers are the worst for hanging about and not getting paid. Is that always the case? I've done loads of curtainsider work, which I never noticed in Canada, and containers. I've worked for some cowboys here. And Stobart.
I'll fire out a resume to Loblaws.
If I pick "a wrong company" what could I do? Surely I wouldn't need to head back here? Or can you go straight out with another firm?
Sorry for all the questions guys but I really want this to work.
Thanks for your time and patience.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys.
I've mostly been doing fridge work, but I've read that Reefers are the worst for hanging about and not getting paid. Is that always the case? I've done loads of curtainsider work, which I never noticed in Canada, and containers. I've worked for some cowboys here. And Stobart.
I'll fire out a resume to Loblaws.
If I pick "a wrong company" what could I do? Surely I wouldn't need to head back here? Or can you go straight out with another firm?
Sorry for all the questions guys but I really want this to work.
Thanks for your time and patience.
If it doesn't work out you will have to find another company with an LMO , Then get another work permit , All this takes time and you're not getting paid , I know its a bit easier in Manitoba swapping companies , Not sure about SK , H&R do reefer work , plenty hate them , plenty stay there long after PR , Ones man meat is the others poison . Only you will know which one to pick , Also depends on high your tolerance is to BS , Cause there is lots of it with these companies , And how much do you want PR ? That is another factor and will determine how much you can tolerate the way things are done here .

Last edited by kb33; Jan 14th 2014 at 10:49 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

Thanks kb33
I can be tolerant if I need to get what I want, to a point. I'm more interested in long haul stuff. I'm only coming over on my own. I've just me to look after, no dependants. I'm not bothered so much if the wages aren't brilliant as long as they are decent enough to have a good quality of life and not extracting the urine. If I could live in the truck for a while, that'd also be nice. Not asking much eh? Lol
I had set it in my mind to even consider H&R as a last resort. Like you said, one man's meat is another's poison. Are they really that bad? :-/
Old Jan 15th 2014, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

I was at H&R for over 5 yrs & made good money but talking to some drivers I know ,that are still there, they are now not getting the miles & even living in the truck they are struggling for money.
IMHO, personally I would give them, TrashX, CanX, Bison, Dazed & Lost, Ayr Motors, Challenger etc. a wide berth.
Also these bigger companies are moving onto the electronic log books which I think personally is a bad thing overall, just glad I get paid hourly.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 8:09 am
Just Joined

Thanks again Neilg14.
It seems like there's not many long haul firms left worth working for. It's what I want to do though. I didn't think this would be easy by any means, but I didn't expect it to be this hard to find half decent work. Shame.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

http://www.djknoll.com/
Old Jan 15th 2014, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Hi Big Truck.
Thank you very much for that mate. I've just called and left a message.
Thanks again mate.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Hi Big Truck.
Thank you very much for that mate. I've just called and left a message.
Thanks again mate.
No bother.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.