Life so far in Canada

Old Jun 13th 2010, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Life so far in Canada

Well most come to PEI to do their PR and bugger off to the other Provinces as it's one of the quickest to get PR in, small population equals not a lot of PR requests and they probably like as many requests as they can get to keep as many new comers as possible, they really need the fresh blood here lol. Most have no intention of staying in the trucking industry thou their are the few that do. I don't blame them for this in anyway shape or form, you have to do what is good for you and your family. It's a stepping stone thing. Thou i have to say this in the long term will ruin the PNP program for those that want to stay driving as i am sure they will do a survey to see how many have stayed in the industry long term.
This is a really great place to live but not for everyone.

Bt i know you said your piece in the SFE thread and it was not ignored even from the start, but i would rather be here than over west and get f---ed by the said few companies. You do have half a chance to get it right and settled in to a new lifestyle.
So what conclusion comes from all the experiences that we ( all us on the island that is ) do we come to, well none, as no one family has the same expectations as the other from being here, all are happy to be here and at least two or three of them will stay for good. Good luck to them and i mean well by this.

Lots of families are willing to get over to canada and lose all or get it right. If your not a OTR driver don't go to the western Provinces it's def not for you if you intend only doing PR for that reason, go to one of the quieter ones where you can sit home for a few days or weeks and do the odd trip and then move on if you can survive that long.
It's a game mate, play it right and take ya winnings and move on!

Loafy...
Old Jun 13th 2010, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice

The provincial nominee programme was NEVER designed or intended to be used in that way. You are literally using and abusing the system. And advising people to do that will ruin it for future immigrants down the line...not that you'll give a toss ofcourse.

Earn your citizenship, then get free rein of the country. Not the other way around.

If you wanted free rein as a permanent resident, you should have applied via the skilled worker route.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by CurtNIR
The provincial nominee programme was NEVER designed or intended to be used in that way. You are literally using and abusing the system. And advising people to do that will ruin it for future immigrants down the line...not that you'll give a toss ofcourse.

Earn your citizenship, then get free rein of the country. Not the other way around.

If you wanted free rein as a permanent resident, you should have applied via the skilled worker route.

Woooooh there Curt, I am driver and will always be mate, i don't like it anymore than you and can see that it would damage it for others later if misused but it does go on and should be a way of controlling it but i feel this will never happen.
I do give a toss and yes advising others to do just that is not best but on the other hand it is my way of saying look if you really want to come to Canada and this is your chosen route go here and do it instead of risking all that they have by running for companies that don't care if your their or not, might just save some tit from losing all he has before it's to late.

Loafy...
Old Jun 13th 2010, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future

Unfortunatley we don't have a crystal ball when we make decisions on which province to choose. We have been here for 3 years and have made a go of it. Had no intentions of leaving but time has gone on and circumstances change.

Had the system been better for truckers I think my hubby would still be one. Until you are here you don't know if it is going to be a good choice or not. I have always favoured Ontario as I have family there but as it happens we are going nowhere near them we are going where we feel the work is.

I think anybody coming here will struggle to stay on the road, I have seen lots of people come and say they will stay on long haul but once they get PR they change their mind. I believe it is because once that year is up they are burnt out and very frustrated with the working conditions
Old Jun 13th 2010, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice

No no, I wasnt talking about driving trucks.

If you dont like your job, try another profession... by all means. There should be nothing stopping you, and there isnt. However, the province sponsor's someone on a commitment from them to work, settle and contribute to their economy, no matter what they work as.

Doesnt matter if you are there 3 years or 6 months. Potentially, if you leave the province they could revoke your nominee status, whether you have a stamped passport or not.

If you gain citizenship, then you obviously have more rights, and you're not bound to that sponsoring province.

In reality though, the chances are that you could go to Ontario or further and live happily ever after ..... im just making sure onlookers know what the repercussions could be if they finally do decide to crack down on it, and that the nominee programme in any province shouldnt be used as a stepping stone.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

I'm more than happy in Alberta (the province that sponsored me ) BUT if I wasn't I wouldn't hesitate in moving to another part of Canada if my family would be happier there . There's nothing in the rule book about swapping provinces when PR as been gained.
How many come over on the skilled worker program and find they don't like Canada and go back to the UK ? or stay and don't even do the work they were supposed to be doing .

At the end of the day we are still contributing to the Canadian economy and paying taxes and if workers don't stay in the industry they were brought over here for, Maybe its time to look at these industries and see why they can't keep the staff. The Trucking industry being a prime example

Just thinking Karla seems to have a knack of starting a thread that goes on for pages and pages (wages for truckers )
Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by CurtNIR

Doesnt matter if you are there 3 years or 6 months. Potentially, if you leave the province they could revoke your nominee status, whether you have a stamped passport or not.

I do agree to a certain extent but what happens on the island is unique to the rest of Canada. The reason being is it is very touristy A LOT of islanders work seasonal, they do long hours for good pay for 6 months then go on EI.

I think the payments are 55% of the previous best 14 weeks before tax ..therefore most people only work 6 months of a year. Some work cash in hand to top up EI. I struggle to agree with this, Bob works at the airport in the summer but this year it will be part time he won't be going on EI. This will be in addition to his full time job

If we stay here we could drain the economy and screw the system but we are not going to , we would rather both have full time jobs and contribute instead of drain

Last edited by lilacheart; Jun 13th 2010 at 4:05 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kb33
There's nothing in the rule book about swapping provinces when PR as been gained.
There is mate if you gained PR via PNP.

Schedule 4, that you would have had to sign states ''I declare that my family members and I intend to live in the Province that nominated me''. Like I said, its not readily enforced, and many probably get away with it, but its there.

Last edited by CurtNIR; Jun 13th 2010 at 4:35 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

It can't be enforced because I would imagine at the time of signing most people do intend to stay....how do they prove otherwise?
Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

karron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nice

Originally Posted by Big Truck
You think so?

I work in one of the most dangerous places in the Western world were not so long ago certain people feared to tread,thats why I can get paid £400 for a 12/hour shift.
The only thing that scares me is the dentist and the last I checked the balls are still there!!!!

As I've said before:
Move to Canada? TEDDY BEARS PICNIC!!!!!!
you cant live far from me and the other n.ireland posters yet i dont feel like i live in one of the most dangerous places in the western world and dont see what you claim to earn has to do with it .
Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lilacheart
It can't be enforced because I would imagine at the time of signing most people do intend to stay....how do they prove otherwise?
Ive no idea. It would down to you to prove you really tried to give it a go in the province, which you already said you had, and hope they take pitty?

im not trying to be the bad guy.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

I do think they try/want to keep you, I had a call from immigration a couple of years ago (about 5 months after we had PR ) they called to see if we were still here.

I must say she was surprised, she was pleased we had brought and sounded relieved that we liked it here. I think the usual response is no answer from the number on the immigration forms because so many had left before she called them.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

wire is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lilacheart

I think anybody coming here will struggle to stay on the road, I have seen lots of people come and say they will stay on long haul but once they get PR they change their mind. I believe it is because once that year is up they are burnt out and very frustrated with the working conditions
What a load of rubbish!!
I emigrated to Manitoba in 2007 at the same time as around 20 or more other guys and their families and we have all kept in touch with each other.
Some socially and some just through facebook, etc. With the exception of maybe a couple of the guys we are all still happy long haul trucking.
I will concede that many including myself have moved to different employers in that time but the point is that we are all still OTR.
If you are burnt out after one year you were never a long haul driver in the first place. Every other driver at my company has been driving long haul over here for 20yrs or more and one has been doing the job for over 35yrs!
If you fast track into Canada via the PNP route as a long haul trucker and then decide to do something easier you are definitely abusing Canada and the system and spoiling the chances for future hopefuls.
After all my own sister would love to come to Canada. She is a very highly skilled IT technician but her only chance would be to try via the skilled worker route. Even if she could qualify this would take several years and cost thousands of dollars.
To people like her it is a total piss take when people with relatively less qualifications than her and fast track into Canada by claiming to be career long haul drivers then have a go for a while once they get here before claiming that it is to hard once they have permanent residency.
I repeat;..If you really can't hack it then you were not a long hauler in the first place and thus came her under false pretences. In this case the only honorable thing to do is go back to Europe and give someone else a chance who is more suitable.

Last edited by wire; Jun 13th 2010 at 8:13 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

What are the companies like to work for , do they pay lay overs and let the truckers return home to their families? Frequently truckers are lead to belive they are coming home and an hour or so before they get to the confederation bridge they are turned round and sent back out for another 5-7 days, it is then up to the wives to explain to the kids that actually Daddy won't be home today..there is nothing they can do about it.

Truckers are constantly having to tweak their log books and I know for a fact that they are pushed into difficult situations, they are always being over loaded and then fined at the first bridge they come to, some are stranded because vehicles have broken down again no lay overs it is tough shit...eventually it breaks down the hardest of men and believe me I have seen lots crumble. I hope your company is better in Manitoba
Old Jun 13th 2010, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

wire is an unknown quantity at this point

Lilacheart why are you trying to educate me about what it is like?
I have just told you that i have been doing long haul here for the last 3yrs along side another 20 or so Brits. Do you think that we have had it any different?
It is true that nearly all the the companies that recruit in Europe are terrible in respect to wages and conditions but if you are a career long hauler you can stick it out ok at least until you get enough experience to move to a decent company.
My first year in Canada was on Flatdeck work and it was the hardest year of my life.
The company that i work for now is fantastic but they would not have entertained me until i had both experience and PR status.
The point is that i stuck it out and it came right in the end even though i run very hard now even.
At no time have i considered taking the piss out of Canada and taking a menial job from a Canadian which i would never have qualified me to emigrate in the first place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.