AS license

Old Aug 29th 2018, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

BigGaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default AS license

Hello guys and gals,

looking for a bit of advice: I was about to go and train for my AZ License here in ON, as yet I don't have or applied for a work permit as my trade skills are not transferable!
I was going to train as an AZ driver then go either for a work permit or sponsor! I was hoping to be able to get my PR for Canada but looking at previous post that would not be the case!
what options would I have when it came to being a valid AZ driver? are there any truck company's that would sponsor someone? I currently only have 5 months left on my visitor visa so not.in a rush just yet but any help or advice would be much appreciated thanks in advance.
Old Aug 30th 2018, 1:23 am
Just Joined

Default Re: AZ license

Originally Posted by BigGaz
Hello guys and gals,

looking for a bit of advice: I was about to go and train for my AZ License here in ON Canada, as yet I don't have or applied for a work permit as my trade skills are not transferable!
I was going to train as an AZ driver then go either for a work permit or sponsor! I was hoping to be able to get my PR for Canada but looking at previous post that would not be the case!
what options would I have when it came to being a valid AZ driver? are there any truck company's that would sponsor someone? I currently only have 5 months left on my visitor visa so not.in a rush just yet but any help or advice would be much appreciated thanks in advance.
Old Aug 31st 2018, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AS license

I dont think in ON foreign truck drivers on work permit can apply for PR so would be better to look at Manitoba or the Maritimes.Do you have any UK Class1 experience?
Old Aug 31st 2018, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by neilcumming
I dont think in ON foreign truck drivers on work permit can apply for PR so would be better to look at Manitoba or the Maritimes.Do you have any UK Class1 experience?
Hi Neil,
no I thought it would be easier to come over and train here! as a lot of jobs I seen was saying you need a few years experience! I thought it would be easier to come over and do the training and get the qualifications they would require! dumb I know but I thought it was worth a try! even if I done it I would have to go back to the UK to apply for a work permit anyway! so I don't know what to do now! it's Hardee than I thought it was going to be!
Old Sep 1st 2018, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Neil,
no I thought it would be easier to come over and train here! as a lot of jobs I seen was saying you need a few years experience! I thought it would be easier to come over and do the training and get the qualifications they would require! dumb I know but I thought it was worth a try! even if I done it I would have to go back to the UK to apply for a work permit anyway! so I don't know what to do now! it's Hardee than I thought it was going to be!
I think its going to hard for you to get a job with a company without experience that is willing to give you a work permit. Not saying its never been done before but its a gamble on your part as the training is expensive and you might have nothing after your visitor visa is up. The only thing I can suggest is call a few companies ( there is only a few ) doing LMIAs and see what feedback you get before paying the training fees.Try the few that have been mentioned in other trucking threads,Bison who take on inexperienced Canadian drivers and have a Manitoba Overseas Driver Program https://www.bisondriving.com/posting/2260 , SGT who are in Quebec have a similiar program https://sgt.ca/en/foreign_drivers.html# ,Gladstone Transfer also in Manitoba and there were a few from the Maritimes ,search in the threads for them.
Its a long shot but as I said try them before spending your money ,only other way is go back to UK get Class1 there and some experience and try Canada again.
Old Sep 1st 2018, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

Hi Neil,
I think a change of plan us required! I'm not willing to spend all that money on maybe a chance of getting work, so I we will head back to the UK and have a re think about this! my wife and I really want to live in Ontario, there is no point in truck driving here as no chance of PR unless things change! so back to the drawing board I think, but thanks for all your info. Cheers
Old Sep 1st 2018, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Neil,
I think a change of plan us required! I'm not willing to spend all that money on maybe a chance of getting work, so I we will head back to the UK and have a re think about this! my wife and I really want to live in Ontario, there is no point in truck driving here as no chance of PR unless things change! so back to the drawing board I think, but thanks for all your info. Cheers
No problem and good luck