Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Just trucking, not emigrating

Just trucking, not emigrating

Old Apr 18th 2009, 1:30 am
Just Joined

berewic has a brilliant futureberewic has a brilliant futureberewic has a brilliant futureberewic has a brilliant futureberewic has a brilliant futureberewic has a brilliant futureberewic has a brilliant futureberewic has a brilliant future
Default Just trucking, not emigrating

Hi, I'm still in the UK and have seen trucking jobs in Canada advertised over here, (UK) for the last few years.
My question is, is it possible to jump on a plane, fly to Canada and start work without having to fill in millions of forms and take hundreds of tests, or have my life laid out for all and sundry to see?

How much effort is involved if I'm not planning on living in Canada, just planning on working in Canada.

I'm in my early 50's and have been trucking UK/Europe/N Africa since I first got my HGV at 21.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

wire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just trucking, not emigrating

In short the answer would be no.
You could, of course, work in Canada without emmigrating by obtaining a temporary work permit but to get one you need a job offer and a Labour market opinion which the company offering you the job would have to apply for. Your extensive driving career obviously means you have the qualifications required and you need to have a clean criminal record which can be proved by applying for an up to date search record at your local police station. You will also need references from your previous employers.
As for tests, you would have to sit your class 1 and airbrake theory (written) tests and then the actual driving test involves a pre-trip, airbrake practical and driving practical.
Then you would be fully qualified and able to work for the employer designated by your work permit until it expired. This seems to vary from one to two years allthough i don't know why.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

As wire says, plus Canada is looking for people that whant to make this country their home, and not just a bunch of "fly by nites" .:curse:
Old Apr 18th 2009, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

berewic has a brilliant futureberewic has a brilliant futureberewic has a brilliant futureberewic has a brilliant futureberewic has a brilliant futureberewic has a brilliant futureberewic has a brilliant futureberewic has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gremmie
As wire says, plus Canada is looking for people that whant to make this country their home, and not just a bunch of "fly by nites" .:curse:
I would like to say thanks for your reply as well Gremmie but I won't, with your attitude it's not surprising you've managed 2,633 posts but then with no friends and unlikely to be welcome anywhere, I imagine you have nothing else to do or anyone to talk to.
Try and keep your hands away from your lap.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by berewic
I would like to say thanks for your reply as well Gremmie but I won't, with your attitude it's not surprising you've managed 2,633 posts but then with no friends and unlikely to be welcome anywhere, I imagine you have nothing else to do or anyone to talk to.
Who peed in your soup

I dont want nor need your thanks, and i have all the friends i want and need.
I only have an " attitude" with people that come to Canada, with no intention of staying,:curse: as they are ruining the system for those that intend to remain.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow how rude!! How do you know he has not got any friends??? and would not be welcome anywhere??? :curse:

How mature of you!!
Old Apr 18th 2009, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by farjojo71
Wow how rude!! How do you know he has not got any friends??? and would not be welcome anywhere??? :curse:

How mature of you!!
I know I've only been on here 5 min's but I knew two things already,
(1) He would be one of the first to reply.
(2) His reply would be unhelpful, critical and probably take more effort than a simple answer to any inquiry.

His signature says it all.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

I know I've only been on here 5 min's but I knew two things already,
(1) He would be one of the first to reply.
(2) His reply would be unhelpful, critical and probably take more effort than a simple answer to any inquiry.

His signature says it all.
Well if you know so much why did'nt you know the answer to your questions all the answers are here for all to read......
Old Apr 18th 2009, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Well if you know so much why did'nt you know the answer to your questions all the answers are here for all to read......
I don't doubt it but there are thousands of threads with millions of replies. The ones I read brought more questions than answers.
A simple no would have been adequate.

I have been in contact with a guy over here (UK) and he has given me two e-mail address' for two drivers working in Canada. One, an Englishman, living in Thailand and the other a guy older than me still living in Leeds (UK).
I got an e-mail failure notice on one and no reply, as yet, from the other.

23yrs ago I worked with a driver who said he toured South America substituting his pocket money and working his way north by driving trucks. He said he also did this in the US. I figured that if he can do it, why not I?
I read a few posts on here about having to exchange my UK license for a Canadian one and one of yours (I think) about you having to exchange your Swiss licence. DVLA couldn't organise a party in a brewery and I wouldn't trust them to get anything right. The chances are they would lose my license and force me to re-take my tests if I wanted it back.
I'm not adverse to the idea of emigrating to Canada but at my age my inquiry was more down to what effort it would take to do so and whether I could experience the lifestyle before I went through all the bull to achieve it.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't doubt it but there are thousands of threads with millions of replies. The ones I read brought more questions than answers.
A simple no would have been adequate.

I have been in contact with a guy over here (UK) and he has given me two e-mail address' for two drivers working in Canada. One, an Englishman, living in Thailand and the other a guy older than me still living in Leeds (UK).
I got an e-mail failure notice on one and no reply, as yet, from the other.

23yrs ago I worked with a driver who said he toured South America substituting his pocket money and working his way north by driving trucks. He said he also did this in the US. I figured that if he can do it, why not I?
I read a few posts on here about having to exchange my UK license for a Canadian one and one of yours (I think) about you having to exchange your Swiss licence. DVLA couldn't organise a party in a brewery and I wouldn't trust them to get anything right. The chances are they would lose my license and force me to re-take my tests if I wanted it back.
I'm not adverse to the idea of emigrating to Canada but at my age my inquiry was more down to what effort it would take to do so and whether I could experience the lifestyle before I went through all the bull to achieve it.
Well i guess you had better keep trying to get helpful info from your friends, as you know i have no friends so cant help you
Old Apr 18th 2009, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

HeadingNorth is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Gremmie I'll be your friend and you're more than welcome to come over to us anytime!
I think it's great when you tell people how it is-especially me on another forum!
What do you keep in your lap???

Last edited by HeadingNorth; Apr 18th 2009 at 6:18 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2009, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HeadingNorth
Hey Gremmie I'll be your friend and you're more than welcome to come over to us anytime!
I think it's great when you tell people how it is-especially me on another forum!
What do you keep in your lap???
I'll gladly be your friend too and i'm really glad you found a new job, hope the friggin wp comes through soon..
On my lap is nothing, the wound hurts still to put anything on there..
As you know we have discussed the problem of people coming across and "abussing' the PNP system,ie, gaining PR then jumping ship, or the other group that just want the adventure,ergo taking the job away from possible true immigrants,which the OP intends to do here..
Old Apr 18th 2009, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

karron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nicekarron is just really nice

just reading this now,berewic is as big a tool on other sites
Old Apr 19th 2009, 9:42 am
Just Joined

cberna is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll gladly be your friend too and i'm really glad you found a new job, hope the friggin wp comes through soon..
On my lap is nothing, the wound hurts still to put anything on there..
As you know we have discussed the problem of people coming across and "abussing' the PNP system,ie, gaining PR then jumping ship, or the other group that just want the adventure,ergo taking the job away from possible true immigrants,which the OP intends to do here..
hello everybody,
I have been reading and reading all kind of messages about truck driving in Canada, and I will appreciate if someone can express his opinion to my question. I am not an uk citizen, I am from Cyprus (not Turkish, greech line), I am in this moment in NZ. I want to work in Canada as truck driver, but as they dont recognize my driver's license, I will have to pass the exams in Canada, but my question is the following: Can I do Class 1 exams as a visitor or is it necessary to have SP or TWP or WP to do it?? I have been looking into ICBC web, but it is not clear explained so that I have asked for that but I am still waiting for the answer, so that I have decided to ask into this forum to know if some of you knows about that.
Thanks for your replies.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cberna
hello everybody,
I have been reading and reading all kind of messages about truck driving in Canada, and I will appreciate if someone can express his opinion to my question. I am not an uk citizen, I am from Cyprus (not Turkish, greech line), I am in this moment in NZ. I want to work in Canada as truck driver, but as they dont recognize my driver's license, I will have to pass the exams in Canada, but my question is the following: Can I do Class 1 exams as a visitor or is it necessary to have SP or TWP or WP to do it?? I have been looking into ICBC web, but it is not clear explained so that I have asked for that but I am still waiting for the answer, so that I have decided to ask into this forum to know if some of you knows about that.
Thanks for your replies.
Iam no expert by any means (I am sure others will answer this better) however each province has slightly different rules. In general you can drive for 90 days on your own licence, car only. After that you apply for a Canadian licence. You are not permitted to drive any other vehicle above car until you have sat the required tests and exams.
I think you should also consider starting a new thread in future s we have now hijacked the OP! (sorry)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.