Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

I NEED SOME HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

I NEED SOME HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

Old Aug 28th 2012, 12:59 am
Just Joined

ciochi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I NEED SOME HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

Hi there.I have been contacted by DAY&ROSS TRANSPORT GROUP for a hgv job(after countless phone calls) in Woodstock,Ontario.They offerd me $33000pa,12 months contract and all the imigration paperwork wold be taking care by them.I considering relocatin in Canada with my family(wife+2 kids) but i don*t know if i can keep my family with this salary.I have here few question if anyone can help me:
1.Anyone knows or worked for them?Are they ok?
2.About Woodstock,people living there??
3.How much wold i take home monthly,based on this salary?
4.Is it worthing moving there?better than uk???
Thank you
Old Aug 28th 2012, 2:23 am
Just Joined

Tom74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I NEED SOME HELP PLEASE!!!!!!

Hey ciochi

Somebody might be able to correct me on this, but I was under the impression that truck driving wasn't a job that you could gain PR with in Ontario. Most guys heading over seem to be going the Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba route due to this. Even so if it is just a year contract it will cost a lot to up sticks again if you don't get a new contract at the end of the year.

On the point of how far that wage will get you, I don't know what 33k translates to after tax but I lived in Ontario for a year and a half and was on a take home wage of about 25k for a year of that and found I was able to survive well, but that was just as a single lad. Rent and utilities came to about 950 a month. then food and transport was about 250 more on top of that.

Do a lot of research as it's a big move especially with your family, there does seem to be trucking opportunities out there that can afford a family to survive, but it mostly seems like you will be away from home a lot as I think PR is for long haul only.

Like I say I'm open to correction and best of luck with everything.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 3:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tom74
Hey ciochi

Somebody might be able to correct me on this, but I was under the impression that truck driving wasn't a job that you could gain PR with in Ontario. Most guys heading over seem to be going the Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba route due to this. Even so if it is just a year contract it will cost a lot to up sticks again if you don't get a new contract at the end of the year.

On the point of how far that wage will get you, I don't know what 33k translates to after tax but I lived in Ontario for a year and a half and was on a take home wage of about 25k for a year of that and found I was able to survive well, but that was just as a single lad. Rent and utilities came to about 950 a month. then food and transport was about 250 more on top of that.

Do a lot of research as it's a big move especially with your family, there does seem to be trucking opportunities out there that can afford a family to survive, but it mostly seems like you will be away from home a lot as I think PR is for long haul only.

Like I say I'm open to correction and best of luck with everything.
thank you tom.i am in 2 minds wright now.I`ll have to think about it,as u sad,it`s a big move.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

spockil is on a distinguished road

33k in ontario dont sound all that great. have to remember the taxes in ontario are high. id sugest you do little more research find some prices for all the things ul need and possibly broaden ur search, look at some of the other provinces. all the best at what ever you decide.
Old Aug 28th 2012, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

pocket rocket is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ciochi
Hi there.I have been contacted by DAY&ROSS TRANSPORT GROUP for a hgv job(after countless phone calls) in Woodstock,Ontario.They offerd me $33000pa,12 months contract and all the imigration paperwork wold be taking care by them.I considering relocatin in Canada with my family(wife+2 kids) but i don*t know if i can keep my family with this salary.I have here few question if anyone can help me:
Thank you
Ive been doing a lot of research as Im also looking to make the move.

The wage seems low compared to others out there. Also you may want to check if that is what you get no matter what mile you do. Most companies pay per mile.

Have a look around before you make any decisions especially if youve got family.

Good luck
Old Aug 28th 2012, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

garvs11 is an unknown quantity at this point

$33k is relatively low even on Pei i earnt alot more than that,and thats saying something lol

Answer to question 4 will only be answered by you,some find it better some alot worse it all depends on the individual,family etc.

Last edited by garvs11; Aug 28th 2012 at 9:13 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2012, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice

You sure its not Woodstock New Brunswick dude?
Old Aug 30th 2012, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

spockil is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by CurtNIR
You sure its not Woodstock New Brunswick dude?
good point if i remember right there head office is in new brunswick
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

yes,you are right...
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ciochi
Thank you
I would think very, very carefully before making any move to Ontario based on promises from a company like this. <<Admin edit - snip>>. Ontario do not have a PNP for truck drivers and 33k is very low wages even if the cost of living was less in Ontario you would be penniless in no time.

Last edited by Sue; Aug 30th 2012 at 3:09 pm. Reason: Comment removed. Let's not get personal. Thanks
Old Aug 30th 2012, 1:33 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

In a actual fact Day and Ross is headquartered in Hartland, New Brunswick and is part of the McCain empire. Woodstock, NB is just down the road from Hartland. Both places are close to McCain plants in Hartland and Grand Falls.
They may have a depot in Woodstock Ont. but the HO is in N.B.
Here's the link:

http://www.dayrossgroup.com/Forms/Home.aspx
Old Aug 31st 2012, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

wire is an unknown quantity at this point

$33,000..... Are you serious? You need to double that at least.!!
The average long haul wage is around $65,000 and that doesn't provide the means to a lavish lifestyle even here in Manitoba which is one of the cheaper provinces.
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by garvs11
$33k is relatively low even on Pei i earnt alot more than that,and thats saying something lol

Answer to question 4 will only be answered by you,some find it better some alot worse it all depends on the individual,family etc.
If you want New Brunswick, try Ayr Motors? $33,000 is pathetic, but I guess thats on the LMO? Day & Ross are a big outfit, I would have thought you'd be better off going out to see them. Have a chat with other drivers, see what they say?
Dom, our LMOs at Bulk said summant ridiculous, less than $33,000. I forget exactly what.

Ciochi: You're gonna need approx $1000pw NET to support a family.