Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

Guidance on migrating from UK to Canada for a Trucking Career

Guidance on migrating from UK to Canada for a Trucking Career

Old Jun 14th 2023, 1:51 am
Just Joined

AbuShuraim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Guidance on migrating from UK to Canada for a Trucking Career

Hello, hope everyone is well and in the best of health.

I am 34 years of age and currently an Uber driver in UK. I have had my license since 2011. I Fancy a change and would like to move to Canada for a fresh start. I'm married with 2 kids aged 4 and 12 weeks.

I would like to move to Canada in the trucking Industry I know it's a tough one but rewarding one if I can stick through.

What is the best possible route for me? Come visit Canada as visitor and then convert my UK licence to Canada G license.(once this has been done will I be able to apply in a school to apply for my A Licence)

Or second option is just apply for trucking Jobs in Canada from UK and apply only for the ones that will take on foreign workers but I'm thinking with out me having an A CDL License I would have less chance.

Anyhow apologize if I don't make sense as I have just gathered all this information from the net.

Would really appreciate if anyone who went through same route could guide

Regards

Old Jun 15th 2023, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

vickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud ofvickysteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: Guidance on migrating from UK to Canada for a Trucking Career

Originally Posted by AbuShuraim
Hello, hope everyone is well and in the best of health.

I am 34 years of age and currently an Uber driver in UK. I have had my license since 2011. I Fancy a change and would like to move to Canada for a fresh start. I'm married with 2 kids aged 4 and 12 weeks.

I would like to move to Canada in the trucking Industry I know it's a tough one but rewarding one if I can stick through.

What is the best possible route for me? Come visit Canada as visitor and then convert my UK licence to Canada G license.(once this has been done will I be able to apply in a school to apply for my A Licence)

Or second option is just apply for trucking Jobs in Canada from UK and apply only for the ones that will take on foreign workers but I'm thinking with out me having an A CDL License I would have less chance.

Anyhow apologize if I don't make sense as I have just gathered all this information from the net.

Would really appreciate if anyone who went through same route could guide

Regards
My advice.is to pick a province in Canada you would like to live in first because there are different rules for getting your class 1 in each province, Once you have picked your province look at the training required to get your class 1, at the same time check the trucking companies in that province to see if they are hiring foreign workers and what help and programs they offer.
ICE is another route you can look at if you are under 35, if you qualify and get it you will have a different route into Canada and not be tied into a company and there training program, you will have to pay for your training yourself which can be anywhere from 3000 canadian plus.
There are a few different routes you have access to if you want to come to Canada to drive truck you just have to pick the route and time line you want to work to. I went down the company training route and worked for that company for 2 years i found it very helpful because the company i was working for was there if i needed and help or advice.
Old Jun 15th 2023, 4:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vickysteve
ICE is another route you can look at if you are under 35, if you qualify
It’s 30 for Brits. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...b-wh#selection

HTH.
Old Oct 27th 2023, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Fedupscotsman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
think as of next year it’ll change to a max age of 35 and the term will be three years rather than two?

sure I remember reading that somewhere
Old Oct 27th 2023, 6:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fedupscotsman
think as of next year it’ll change to a max age of 35 and the term will be three years rather than two?

sure I remember reading that somewhere
Yes. The age limit increase was announced in July. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...sh-youth0.html

HTH.
Old Oct 27th 2023, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Fedupscotsman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes. The age limit increase was announced in July. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...sh-youth0.html

HTH.
I applied for an IEC this year and got it accepted in August, my port of entry letter is for august 2024, I don’t suppose you know whether or not my term will be for 2 or 3 years?

just unsure as I’d applied before the change but was accepted shortly after the change was announced (think it takes effect from January?)
Old Oct 28th 2023, 6:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Fedupscotsman
I applied for an IEC this year and got it accepted in August, my port of entry letter is for august 2024, I don’t suppose you know whether or not my term will be for 2 or 3 years?

just unsure as I’d applied before the change but was accepted shortly after the change was announced (think it takes effect from January?)
I think it's only for those that apply under the 2024 program and onwards I'm afraid, but hopefully that will get clarified once it's introduced properly.