Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

is this going to be a problem?

is this going to be a problem?

Old Sep 25th 2011, 6:13 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of
Cool is this going to be a problem?

ok here is something ive just thought of. As some of you already know due to my earlier posts, im moving to Canada in Nov , have already got pr through family sponsership. You have to live in Canada for 2 out of 5 years as most of you guys know already. So here is my question....my 3 year limit is up in Feb 2012, we are moving in Nov which gives us a 3 month safety net in case we have to return home for any reason. When, while truck driving , i go to the us does this count against me as time out of Canada ? Thanks guys
Old Sep 25th 2011, 6:40 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is this going to be a problem?

Hi

Originally Posted by arniedog
ok here is something ive just thought of. As some of you already know due to my earlier posts, im moving to Canada in Nov , have already got pr through family sponsership. You have to live in Canada for 2 out of 5 years as most of you guys know already. So here is my question....my 3 year limit is up in Feb 2012, we are moving in Nov which gives us a 3 month safety net in case we have to return home for any reason. When, while truck driving , i go to the us does this count against me as time out of Canada ? Thanks guys

No, you are working for a Canadian employer.
Old Sep 25th 2011, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by arniedog
YES IT DOES
Not sure how it works when renewing your pr card but I know someone who recently had to go before a judge who decides on cases like this for citizenship.
The truck driver simply had to prove why he spent so much time out of the country and he done this with a letter from his emplyer and his log books as proof.
Old Sep 26th 2011, 3:09 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by dave_lol66
YES IT DOES
Not sure how it works when renewing your pr card but I know someone who recently had to go before a judge who decides on cases like this for citizenship.
The truck driver simply had to prove why he spent so much time out of the country and he done this with a letter from his emplyer and his log books as proof.

Note the OP was asking about maintaining his PR status. You are talking about citizenship, 2 different things. Citizenship requires physical residency.
Old Sep 27th 2011, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

dave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

Note the OP was asking about maintaining his PR status. You are talking about citizenship, 2 different things. Citizenship requires physical residency.
As stated in my reply..... but does pr not also require physical residency
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcome...sp#keep_status

compared to this for citizenship
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen...ligibility.asp
Old Sep 27th 2011, 2:57 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hi

Originally Posted by dave_lol66
As stated in my reply..... but does pr not also require physical residency
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcome...sp#keep_status

compared to this for citizenship
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizen...ligibility.asp
From the Immigration and Refugee Act.

28. (1) A permanent resident must comply with a residency obligation with respect to every five-year period.

Application

(2) The following provisions govern the residency obligation under subsection (1):

(a) a permanent resident complies with the residency obligation with respect to a five-year period if, on each of a total of at least 730 days in that five-year period, they are

(i) physically present in Canada,

(ii) outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent,

(iii) outside Canada employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the federal public administration or the public service of a province,

(iv) outside Canada accompanying a permanent resident who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent and who is employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the federal public administration or the public service of a province, or

(v) referred to in regulations providing for other means of compliance;
Old Sep 27th 2011, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

From the Immigration and Refugee Act.

28. (1) A permanent resident must comply with a residency obligation with respect to every five-year period.

Application

(2) The following provisions govern the residency obligation under subsection (1):

(a) a permanent resident complies with the residency obligation with respect to a five-year period if, on each of a total of at least 730 days in that five-year period, they are

(i) physically present in Canada,

(ii) outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent,

(iii) outside Canada employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the federal public administration or the public service of a province,

(iv) outside Canada accompanying a permanent resident who is their spouse or common-law partner or, in the case of a child, their parent and who is employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the federal public administration or the public service of a province, or

(v) referred to in regulations providing for other means of compliance;
So like I said in my original reply the days will count against you until you can prove why, so keep your log books
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:05 pm
Just Joined

downtown1 is an unknown quantity at this point

can somebody tell me if this is right , i was talkin 2 a polish driver the other in the uk about what he had too do to get a visa for workin in this country cut a long story short he said he could go 2 canada without sponsership and work something too do with the canadian goverment having an arrangement with the polish goverment .
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:12 pm
forever blowing bubbles

arniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud ofarniedog has much to be proud of

thanks for your answers guys.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by downtown1
can somebody tell me if this is right , i was talkin 2 a polish driver the other in the uk about what he had too do to get a visa for workin in this country cut a long story short he said he could go 2 canada without sponsership and work something too do with the canadian goverment having an arrangement with the polish goverment .
Might be a Working Holiday Visa maybe?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by downtown1
unlikely