First steps

Old Aug 11th 2014, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

downman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default First steps

Hi Guys. I am a HGV class 1 driver in N.Ireland. Been driving for 4 yrs 1 year doing curtainside work on mainland UK then 6mts doing Europe curtainside and fridge. Past 2 1/2 yrs hauling steel in Ireland. Am now seriously considering a move abroad with all signs pointing to Canada.
Any advise would be welcome. Location? Capital needed? Companies? I am 44yo single with no dependants.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

grant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nice
Default Re: First steps

Originally Posted by downman
Hi Guys. I am a HGV class 1 driver in N.Ireland. Been driving for 4 yrs 1 year doing curtainside work on mainland UK then 6mts doing Europe curtainside and fridge. Past 2 1/2 yrs hauling steel in Ireland. Am now seriously considering a move abroad with all signs pointing to Canada.
Any advise would be welcome. Location? Capital needed? Companies? I am 44yo single with no dependants.
I think the first advice anyone will give you is, read,research,read,research and when you've done that........do it some more
that's not sarcasm (well maybe just a little) but the thing is what your asking is very much an individual thing,
location...dependant on what you want from Canada.
capital.....dependant where you want to go in Canada.
companies.....dependant on where you want to go and what you want to do.
good luck in your search and if you have more questions best to make them more specific.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks.
The questions were not specific as I am open to suggestions.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

grant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nice

Thanks.
The questions were not specific as I am open to suggestions.
That's fair enough but people don't know where to start with suggestions? From my research i have determined that the east coast is nice to look at, cheap housing but wages are low.
The West coast has similar climate to the uk but is expensive to live.
Alberta has loads of work and is popular with expats but pr takes a long time to get.
The prairies (saskatchewan and Manitoba) are the best (in my opinion) for pr but temperatures are very cold in winter, so you see lots to think about and research.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 8:09 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Grant.
I have came across a company in Gladstone MB who are willing to pay my flights out there, offer accommodation and full training but seems that a temp work visa and LMIA (LMO) would be my responsibility. Research shows me the LMIA will cost $1000.
I am weary of paying anything to a company who in my opinion should be happy to have me on board.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Grant.
I have came across a company in Gladstone MB who are willing to pay my flights out there, offer accommodation and full training but seems that a temp work visa and LMIA (LMO) would be my responsibility. Research shows me the LMIA will cost $1000.
I am weary of paying anything to a company who in my opinion should be happy to have me on board.
No they should pay for an lmia (lmo) you can't get a twp at the border without one and a contract of employment, and it's the companies responsibility to obtain this and pay for it. The only thing you might or may have to pay for is your Canadian truckers training, you should not have to pay anyone to get there
Old Aug 11th 2014, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Thanks again Grant. With the TWP am I free to travel in and out of the US while trucking?
Old Aug 11th 2014, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks again Grant. With the TWP am I free to travel in and out of the US while trucking?
To the best of my knowledge yes
Old Aug 12th 2014, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=downman;11365748]Thanks again Grant. With the TWP am I free to travel in and out of the US while trucking?[/QUOTE

Having a TWP doesn't automatically give you freedom to come and go to the US, once you pass the US Border checks on you, you will get an I94 visa waiver, which allows you to come and go for 3 mths, then renew again.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 7:18 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Grant.
The LMIA will cost *them* $1000. If they're really suggesting you pay for it, then walk away - only the employer is allowed to pay.

What's the wage rate? I have no idea about such things, but I know that the good folks of this sub forum will advise you on if it's a decent rate to live on or not. I'm only asking because of them wanting you to pay for the LMIA, which rings alarm bells with me.

Best of luck.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 7:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

And just another thought - I've got no idea where Gladstone is, but do check that it's in one of the two regions that can get LMIA's, as most regions in MB can't anymore due to unemployment rates.

Off the top of my head, it's Winnipeg and the Parklands/North area that can still get LMIA's.

HTH.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
And just another thought - I've got no idea where Gladstone is, but do check that it's in one of the two regions that can get LMIA's, as most regions in MB can't anymore due to unemployment rates.

Off the top of my head, it's Winnipeg and the Parklands/North area that can still get LMIA's.

HTH.
This is the conversation i had with them on fb....
Might answer some people's questions....

"we are looking at coming over to London on the 25 & 26 for interviews, we are looking at hiring 1 person this year then another 1 in 6 months.....
We are based in Gladstone Manitoba and the company is Gladstone Transfer, we haul grain, rock & fertilizer across to BC in modern vehicles with super B trailers.... You are required to stay out Mon -Fri, salary is hourly plus mileage, benefits included"
Old Aug 13th 2014, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

kate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grant r
This is the conversation i had with them on fb....
Might answer some people's questions....

"we are looking at coming over to London on the 25 & 26 for interviews, we are looking at hiring 1 person this year then another 1 in 6 months.....
We are based in Gladstone Manitoba and the company is Gladstone Transfer, we haul grain, rock & fertilizer across to BC in modern vehicles with super B trailers.... You are required to stay out Mon -Fri, salary is hourly plus mileage, benefits included"
Hi this is interesting thanks for this, my OH is in talks with them, they are the company that advertised on the job section on here. My OH has spoken to a few peeps who are truckers living near company, and they've all said they seem good company, family owned etc etc, OH going to meet soon, will update, as I'm curious too :-)
Old Aug 13th 2014, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Why are they coming to the UK if they're only hiring 1 driver now and 1 driver in 6 months time.
Can't believe if they're any good, they cannot find 2 Canadians for the jobs.
Old Aug 13th 2014, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by neilg14
Why are they coming to the UK if they're only hiring 1 driver now and 1 driver in 6 months time.
Can't believe if they're any good, they cannot find 2 Canadians for the jobs.
Good point didn't think of that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.