British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Trucking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/)
-   -   Driving jobs in Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/driving-jobs-canada-517636/)

oilsands Feb 27th 2008 5:43 pm

Driving jobs in Canada

Thought I would post this in case anyone was looking for info regarding driving jobs - Bus and Coach:

Fort Mcmurray - Day shifts (Home every night) - 3-4 hour morning run and 3-4 hour afternoon run.

Will train to get licence.

Guaranteed $210.00 per day. Working 24 days on, 4 off, but plenty of overtime if wanted.

In addition, every drivers receives a Fort Mcmurray Living Allowance of $1050.00 per month

In total that equates to around $70-80k per year without OT. Some of the top seniority drivers are on $100-$130k per year.

PM me if you would like any details.

bigwheels241 Feb 27th 2008 5:56 pm

Re: Driving jobs in Canada

All that $$$$ sounds too good to be true, but thats my view, still Iam no coach captain, I hate passangers:p

oilsands Feb 27th 2008 6:26 pm

I agree that there is nothing worse in the transport industry than hauling a load that talks back to you but the wages, allowances and shifts are true.

This is Fort Mcmurray .... or Fort Mc Money as it is affectionally called.

bigwheels241 Feb 27th 2008 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by oilsands (Post 5991039)
I agree that there is nothing worse in the transport industry than hauling a load that talks back to you but the wages, allowances and shifts are true.

This is Fort Mcmurray .... or Fort Mc Money as it is affectionally called.

Don’t want to hijack the post, but seeing we just covered talking livestock passengers’ thought I would tell you a true story.

If you haven’t discovered I am English but lived and did all driving in Australia, in 1980 I did get my Australian Bus Drivers License, well I got my 1st job working for Greyhound driving from Alice Springs to Darwin.

Before this had been driving LGV Road Trains all over the Northern Territory.

So, knowing the road, no problem I have just about a name for each white line we pass.

My passengers were collected from Ayres Rock, all 38 of them from America. I drove a Silver-Eagle with powerful GM -Turbo engine, nice sound when you have a semi-auto box, well, collected my freight, drove to next town 380 miles nth of Alice, in that time I was asked 1001 questions, all in my view stupid questions but being a coach captain you must answer to the best of your knowledge. About 60 miles from our next rest stop, I hit 4 kangaroos that just bounced off my bull-bar on the bus, straight after that I hit a small steer, (Little Bull which is cut) that also bounced off my bull-bar. By this time the passengers where concerned, so the next 50 questions was all about my road-kill.

My exchange driver, took over at that next stop, my 7 hours are up, well I jump in the rear and sleep for 4-hours, and my relief driver hands back at the ½ way to Darwin stop.

He drives and hits not a sausage on the road. :ohmy:

I take over, and only 25 miles into my second shift and I hit another kangaroo, well was abused by one passenger, I kept cool and kept driving, well ¾ hour later, YEP I hit another kangaroo.

My passengers were getting annoyed, so was I. One yelled at me each time they saw a kangaroo on the side of the road, this made me a little peeved off, so I stopped, got out, said my views that it’s the way things are here, they didn’t agree, so I drove to the next small town, called the depot manager, and quit on the spot.

Never been in a coach since and never want to either ;)

bigwheels241 May 27th 2008 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by oilsands (Post 5990845)
Thought I would post this in case anyone was looking for info regarding driving jobs - Bus and Coach:

Fort Mcmurray - Day shifts (Home every night) - 3-4 hour morning run and 3-4 hour afternoon run.

Guaranteed $210.00 per day. Working 24 days on, 4 off, but plenty of overtime if wanted.

In addition, every drivers receives a Fort Mcmurray Living Allowance of $1050.00 per month

In total that equates to around $70-80k per year without OT. Some of the top seniority drivers are on $100-$130k per year.

Have a UK driver who wants to apply......sent you a PM

ronis sister May 29th 2008 2:53 am

Originally Posted by bigwheels241 (Post 6401169)

Class 1 drivers,2 years experience, no criminal record? ? Access Transportation Ltd in Winnipeg are recruiting direct (cutting out the expensive middle man!!!) If you are able to start with in the next few months (doesn't take long to get an approved work permit) call them on 001-204-654-1347

mcurtis_1999 Jun 7th 2008 5:05 pm

Hi Oilsands,

I've PM'd you..

Cheers

jasper62 Jun 8th 2008 7:33 pm

hi oilsands good money ,but what is the cost of living in the f.m area i have been told you can expect to pay around $400,000 dollars for a 2 bed static trailer home mobile home on blocks , is this true elo

DAVIE_MAC Jun 8th 2008 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by jasper62 (Post 6447601)
hi oilsands good money ,but what is the cost of living in the f.m area i have been told you can expect to pay around $400,000 dollars for a 2 bed static trailer home mobile home on blocks , is this true elo

Use the following link to search for houses throuout Canada:

www.mls.ca

2 bed condo from $250.000

The other property advertised in my opinion looks very poor quality for the amount of money.......then again you need to balance it up against wages which I have no idea about.

You are correct there are static type elongated houses for $430.000 upwards which look shite not something I would want to live in personaly...someone else may be able to offer advice on alternate areas which are better & cheaper.

Cheers

http://images.mls.ca/listings/reb122...71040110_1.jpg For Sale:$246,900

INVESTORS ALERT!!!! Prime downtown location - Close to all amenities! Cozy one bedroom one bath unit - Call today

jennymiki Jun 10th 2008 6:47 pm

Hi we're thinking of moving over to start a new life togeather we are Miki and Jenny we are bus drivers and we need info on how to go about this can you help the email address is [email protected]

ronis sister Jun 10th 2008 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by jennymiki (Post 6453886)
Hi we're thinking of moving over to start a new life togeather we are Miki and Jenny we are bus drivers and we need info on how to go about this can you help the email address is [email protected]

check out www.cic.gc.ca/immigration it may be that you would be better off applying for PNP

sarky marky Jun 17th 2008 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by ronis sister (Post 6407306)
Class 1 drivers,2 years experience, no criminal record? ? Access Transportation Ltd in Winnipeg are recruiting direct (cutting out the expensive middle man!!!) If you are able to start with in the next few months (doesn't take long to get an approved work permit) call them on 001-204-654-1347

Do you have an email address for this company? i'm hoping to be going over to Saskatoon in August/September for interview with Siemens but would like to try an arrange at least 3/4 other interviews for the time i'm there, i want to keep my options open and make a descision thats right regarding area/ housing/ schools etc.

Thanks, Mark

ronis sister Jun 17th 2008 9:47 pm

email [email protected]

berkoboy Jun 18th 2008 7:13 am

emailed them last week(Access) with resume,references etc. Not heard nothing. Is that usual.

bigwheels241 Jun 18th 2008 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by berkoboy (Post 6477412)
emailed them last week(Access) with resume,references etc. Not heard nothing. Is that usual.

The poster was last on

Last Activity: May 30th 2008 7:21 pm

kabisa Jun 26th 2008 6:02 am

Hey i tried to pm you but to no avail so i am just writing you so to ask of how i can apply for a driving job?where can i send my resume?can you give more details about the job?I will w8 and hope you reply so i can work for you thanks

Ledfoot Jul 1st 2008 8:33 am

Originally Posted by sarky marky (Post 6475157)
Do you have an email address for this company? i'm hoping to be going over to Saskatoon in August/September for interview with Siemens but would like to try an arrange at least 3/4 other interviews for the time i'm there, i want to keep my options open and make a descision thats right regarding area/ housing/ schools etc.

Thanks, Mark

went over in Feb and had an interview with a few companies in Saskatoon, one was siemans who i've just signed a contract with and am awaiting my work visa as i write. Laurie is the lady to speak to. all's cool

marky46 Jul 1st 2008 9:19 am

hello there, job sounds great i retired from the army served 24 years and got my hgv2 have been wanting to go to canada since i was posted there for 2 years when in the army,are they looking for drivers ?

vickysteve Jul 1st 2008 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by Ledfoot (Post 6521805)
went over in Feb and had an interview with a few companies in Saskatoon, one was siemans who i've just signed a contract with and am awaiting my work visa as i write. Laurie is the lady to speak to. all's cool

Hi i work for siemens and they are a good company to work i have no complaints, it was the best move me and my family made 19 months ago and will never return to the uk

Ledfoot Jul 1st 2008 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by vickysteve (Post 6523466)
Hi i work for siemens and they are a good company to work i have no complaints, it was the best move me and my family made 19 months ago and will never return to the uk

Hi Steve and Vicky, nice to hear from someone in the company i have just sign'd for. Am waiting for the embassy to get back to me with my visa, then its all systems go. Trying to sell the house at the mo but its not a good time with house prices on the downward slope, however, its just me, no wife, (hurragh) so no ties except my daughter who's 16 in Oct and will be staying here until she's finished her exams next year and my son who's 21 and doing his own thing, that will give me some time to get sorted and then we'll see if she wants to go to uni here or Canada. Thanks for the info, hope to see you soon, Jerry.

p.s. Is this the Steve that works in the workshop. I was over in Feb and Laurie showed me around.

vickysteve Jul 1st 2008 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Ledfoot (Post 6523497)
Hi Steve and Vicky, nice to hear from someone in the company i have just sign'd for. Am waiting for the embassy to get back to me with my visa, then its all systems go. Trying to sell the house at the mo but its not a good time with house prices on the downward slope, however, its just me, no wife, (hurragh) so no ties except my daughter who's 16 in Oct and will be staying here until she's finished her exams next year and my son who's 21 and doing his own thing, that will give me some time to get sorted and then we'll see if she wants to go to uni here or Canada. Thanks for the info, hope to see you soon, Jerry.

p.s. Is this the Steve that works in the workshop. I was over in Feb and Laurie showed me around.

No sorry not that one

Ledfoot Jul 1st 2008 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by vickysteve (Post 6523904)
No sorry not that one

No worries, Hope to see you soon

kel101 Jul 9th 2008 1:50 pm

[QUOTE=oilsands;5990845]
hi just read your post on bus, coach driver. me and my husband live in essex, england. looking to move to canada and are in the initial stages of looking into it. my husband has a hgv1 license and so minimal training would be needed. We have two children and are looking for a property out there as well. Any details you could give us would be of great help.
thankyou, kelly

Rob.M Jul 9th 2008 3:21 pm

Hi, thanks for the information on driving jobs in Fort Mcmurray. I have been intrested for some time to go out to Canada. I currently have a full PCV, driving licence, which enables me to drive a bus. I am currently upgrading to a class 2 licence too, just waiting to do the test, but have all the other requirements. I'd really apprecaite it you can pass on some information, on how to go about finding work as a bus driver in Canada, and how to go about the whole process. i mean the application process and immigration. I look forward to hearing from you.

Rob. M ( quoting as requested,=olisands;5990845

vickysteve Jul 9th 2008 4:35 pm

[QUOTE=kel101;6552511]

hi just read your post on bus, coach driver. me and my husband live in essex, england. looking to move to canada and are in the initial stages of looking into it. my husband has a hgv1 license and so minimal training would be needed. We have two children and are looking for a property out there as well. Any details you could give us would be of great help.
thankyou, kelly

Hi Kelly If your husband has his class 1 he chould not have any trouble getting a job out here, Here in Saskatoon there are a few companys taking on English drivers right now if you look on my web site most of the info is on there, if there are any other questions you can contact me throught the link on there.

ronis sister Jul 9th 2008 7:23 pm

[QUOTE=vickysteve;6553055]

Originally Posted by kel101 (Post 6552511)

Hi Kelly If your husband has his class 1 he chould not have any trouble getting a job out here, Here in Saskatoon there are a few companys taking on English drivers right now if you look on my web site most of the info is on there, if there are any other questions you can contact me throught the link on there.

Hi I must be doing something wrong because I do all that you do Vicki and I don't charge a penny!!!!!

pippin13 Jul 10th 2008 6:41 pm

RE: driving in Canada.
My name is Phil and I am a coach driver for a company called National Holidays in England. Myself and 2 other drivers would be interested in more information regarding any vacancies. if you could email me at [email protected] and also [email protected] we would appreciate it very much. Many thanks, regards Phil Read

koogar Jul 11th 2008 2:41 am

[QUOTE=ronis sister;6553596]

Originally Posted by vickysteve (Post 6553055)
Hi I must be doing something wrong because I do all that you do Vicki and I don't charge a penny!!!!!

Nope. You're doing nothing wrong at all RS :)

vickysteve Jul 11th 2008 3:47 am

[QUOTE=ronis sister;6553596]

Originally Posted by vickysteve (Post 6553055)

I'm really pleased that you don't have to charge people...I wish we had deep enough pockets to do that but everything costs money! If we didn't charge people we couldn't afford to keep the web site running, we couldn't afford to spend days running people around town, printing costs, postage costs, basic equipment loan, home deposit loan etc.. We have never had any complaints about the amount we charge, we are told all the time what a fantastic service we provide.

kabisa Jul 11th 2008 8:38 am

Originally Posted by kabisa (Post 6504510)
Hey i tried to pm you but to no avail so i am just writing you so to ask of how i can apply for a driving job?where can i send my resume?can you give more details about the job?I will w8 and hope you reply so i can work for you thanks

Sir until now i have no response from you so if you can Please email me all details on how i can land a job as driver in Canada..email me at [email protected] by the way i am Filipino

ronis sister Jul 11th 2008 2:46 pm

[QUOTE=vickysteve;6559111]

Originally Posted by ronis sister (Post 6553596)

I'm really pleased that you don't have to charge people...I wish we had deep enough pockets to do that but everything costs money! If we didn't charge people we couldn't afford to keep the web site running, we couldn't afford to spend days running people around town, printing costs, postage costs, basic equipment loan, home deposit loan etc.. We have never had any complaints about the amount we charge, we are told all the time what a fantastic service we provide.

Sorry Vicky did not mean any disrespect, but to me, helping another Brit to settle here is a pleasure, if I can make their arrival less stressful than our's was I will, I cannot put a price on peace of mind for these families and to me the small amount of money I spend is worth it, I can understand why you charge but it is like putting a price on friendship, Anyway well done for your help for the new guy's

pippin13 Jul 17th 2008 7:35 am

Originally Posted by bigwheels241 (Post 6401169)

could you please e-mail me details about this job, who i can contact etc...
I've been a coach driver for 15 years in the uk and europe.

many thanks [email protected]

tonyrleach Sep 2nd 2008 1:32 pm

IM also looking for bus/coach work in Canada
I have Full PCV Licence and a CPC holder.
Any info would be great.

Thanks

Tony

[email protected]

scaniajzo Sep 7th 2008 6:37 pm

[QUOTE=ronis sister;6560593]

Originally Posted by vickysteve (Post 6559111)
Sorry Vicky did not mean any disrespect, but to me, helping another Brit to settle here is a pleasure, if I can make their arrival less stressful than our's was I will, I cannot put a price on peace of mind for these families and to me the small amount of money I spend is worth it, I can understand why you charge but it is like putting a price on friendship, Anyway well done for your help for the new guy's

Hi ya ronis sister !!!!

I guess you have been asked this a million times but my wife and son are now ready to commit ourselfs to living in the beautifull country aka CANADA !

We havw now sold our house in the uk and are presently living in our caravan .... which is cool but its now time to kick ourselfs up the arse and start living instead of dreaming.

I am 40 years old have held my lgv class one for 13 years, my wifes 31 who is a nursery nurse and my sons 9.

Any info you have as i spent some time researching RJ Hoffmans but they seem to have dissapeared !!.... Have you heard of a company called SIEMANS ????

any way any information greatly recieved,

IVOR & SHARON

ronis sister Sep 7th 2008 8:25 pm

[QUOTE=scaniajzo;6759140]

Originally Posted by ronis sister (Post 6560593)
Hi ya ronis sister !!!!

I guess you have been asked this a million times but my wife and son are now ready to commit ourselfs to living in the beautifull country aka CANADA !

We havw now sold our house in the uk and are presently living in our caravan .... which is cool but its now time to kick ourselfs up the arse and start living instead of dreaming.

I am 40 years old have held my lgv class one for 13 years, my wifes 31 who is a nursery nurse and my sons 9.

Any info you have as i spent some time researching RJ Hoffmans but they seem to have dissapeared !!.... Have you heard of a company called SIEMANS ????

any way any information greatly recieved,

IVOR & SHARON

Siemans is a big company, don't know any one who works for them, you will hear good and bad about all companies depends on the person youare talking to, moving to Canada is about being prepared, make sure you ain't got your rose tinted glasses on, it's not all plain sailing and can be stressful, whatever money you think you need bring more!!!!

scaniajzo Sep 7th 2008 8:38 pm

[QUOTE=ronis sister;6759355]

Originally Posted by scaniajzo (Post 6759140)
Siemans is a big company, don't know any one who works for them, you will hear good and bad about all companies depends on the person youare talking to, moving to Canada is about being prepared, make sure you ain't got your rose tinted glasses on, it's not all plain sailing and can be stressful, whatever money you think you need bring more!!!!

so a ball park figure just to survive for say 6 months would be ???

cheers IVOR

dazbobaby Sep 7th 2008 11:25 pm

I've not read any of the responces, so forgive me if I screw it up :eek:
I've heard many rumours of Fort McMurry regarding living quarters and living expenses. Sure it sounds like a lot of money, and for anywhere else in Alberta it's excellent, but seeing as there's a huge quantity of money being banded around, living expenses go through the roof, (locals charge what the want for goods and services).
Please tell me I've been talking to the wrong people - Brother-in-law and my sister in Edmonton, who have been there for 3 years.

daral lewis Sep 12th 2008 3:38 pm

hi there i live in wales in uk and would like to move to canda and work there i currently have a truck driving license and the job you posted i was very interested in please could u send me details if i can apply for this and am eligible or for anything else thankyou
daral lewis

matt_trombley Sep 22nd 2008 1:41 am

To whom it may concern:

My name is Matt Trombley. I am a 25 years old with no ties (wife, kids) who is looking of a change in work location. effective: immediatley

I have been working as a sub-contractor for 2 1/2 years for a delivery service know as Kyte Delivery located in the Comox Valley, B.C.

Basic Duties involve transporting goods such as : food, smokes, beer, flowers, car parts, ect (basically anything and everything) through-out the community.

I enjoy driving very much and currently work on average between 90-100+ hours per week. I do not mind working long hours.

Please respond back if interested

thank you for your time,

mt

daral lewis Sep 24th 2008 4:18 pm

hi would like to apply for this job my email address is [email protected]