Children

Old Nov 24th 2011, 8:04 am
Just Joined

sammy uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Children

Hi,
We are from the UK and my husband has been offered a long haul truck driving job in Canada and we are hoping to move there in the next month.

Our biggest worry is thou, Our 18yr old son wants to find a live in job on a ranch out there and we are not sure how we go about it or which VISA to apply for him 'because of his age'!! Is he classed as an adult over there and would need to find someone with an LMO? or can he get a year working experience visa?
Does anybody know or can give us any advise
Thanks
Sandra
Old Nov 24th 2011, 5:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Children

Which province are you going to? Some allow dependent children of a TWP holder to work, so you may find he doesn't need a separate visa to do so.

Welcome to BE btw.
Old Nov 24th 2011, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

Hiya, Thank you for your reply
We're going to Saskatoon
Old Nov 24th 2011, 7:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

In which case, you're out of luck I'm afraid - SK isn't one of the provinces that allows dependent children to work (see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/occupations.asp for more info). I assume you know that you won't be able to work either?

If you or your son want to work, you'll each need a work permit in your own right. Your son could potentially apply for a WHV as you said, so that could be a good option for a year. Otherwise, either of you will need a job offer and LMO to get your own TWP's.

Good luck.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 3:33 am
BE Enthusiast

dave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud ofdave_lol66 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sammy uk
Hiya, Thank you for your reply
We're going to Saskatoon
It will totally depend on the very nice immigration officer that issues your husbands work permit, my wife and 22 year old son were both refused a work permit at Winnipeg airport but travelled to the border at Emerson a few weeks later and both came away with 2 year open work permits.
Don't give up if one says no, keep trying.
Old Nov 25th 2011, 5:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by dave_lol66
It will totally depend on the very nice immigration officer that issues your husbands work permit, my wife and 22 year old son were both refused a work permit at Winnipeg airport but travelled to the border at Emerson a few weeks later and both came away with 2 year open work permits.
Don't give up if one says no, keep trying.
That was incredibly lucky, seems you got an immigration officer that either doesn't follow the rules, or doesn't know them! Not something that the OP could count on, although it's certainly worth a try.

Old Nov 26th 2011, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Thank you both for that information.

Not sure if this is correct, but a relative has just told us, that if our son gets a 1 yr open works visa 'that he won't be able to return back to Canada afterwards for a few years!!'
Old Nov 26th 2011, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you both for that information.

Not sure if this is correct, but a relative has just told us, that if our son gets a 1 yr open works visa 'that he won't be able to return back to Canada afterwards for a few years!!'
He could try here: http://www.bunac.org/usa/workcanada/

In his own right?

There is a user on here (Spockil, I think?), who went this route & ended up as a trucker. You will notice that possibilities exist when in the country that are not immediately apparent. Dave's experience being one of them. I have heard of people who had a similar experience, so it is not an isolated case.
Old Nov 26th 2011, 7:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Nope, not correct at all. And in fact, if they don't change the rules for the 2012 program, then he'll be able to get a second WHV for another year. Plenty of people on the Canada forum have gone over on WHV's and managed to stay permanently, so don't listen to your relative - pop over to the Canada immigration forum for up to date info on the rules, or check the CIC website.

What stage is your own application at, has your husband's employer got the LMO yet?

Old Nov 26th 2011, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

The company applied in August for the LMO's and have been told (over the phone) that they have been approved, but they need to wait for all the official letters.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

spockil is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by alandoug
He could try here: http://www.bunac.org/usa/workcanada/

In his own right?

There is a user on here (Spockil, I think?), who went this route & ended up as a trucker. You will notice that possibilities exist when in the country that are not immediately apparent. Dave's experience being one of them. I have heard of people who had a similar experience, so it is not an isolated case.
hi i heard my name being mentioned. yup i got my first visa through bunac which was an open visa. then i got a twp linked to trucking then now im on second year twp.