Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

A bit of help in starting out

A bit of help in starting out

Old Jun 25th 2012, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Tom74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A bit of help in starting out

Hey Folks

I'm looking for a bit of advice in starting out on my journey to trucking in Canada. I'm a newbie to trucking so go easy on me

I'm back in Ireland just over a year after being in Ontario for 18 months and really loved it. I worked mostly on sites and a few months cycle couriering but in the end I couldn't get sponsored to stay. I'm 38 and have mostly worked as a driver, 6 years motor cycle courier, 7 years taxi driver. The next step for me was always to step up to the trucks and have only done that now. I looked into going to a driving school while I was in Canada but was on a hiding to nowhere without experience. I have just passed my artic (trailer) licence here and my C (flatbed) 4 months ago, and i've gotten a couple of months driving a flatbed in the meantime.

Here's where I'm looking for some help. There is not much work here at the minute for artic drivers especially with no experience so I'm heading over to England in a couple of months to try get a start somewhere.

In regards to getting a job that will lead me onto working in Canada, do I need to get a job with International experience? As far as I know the magic number for an LMO in Canada is 2 years, is this correct? Or would a job just driving within England suffice? I realize I have very little cards to play with here and i'm willing to work minimum wage for the two years if it gets me the experience needed.

What is throwing me is there is a guy who comes to Ireland twice a year to hire drivers for Canada but he is looking for 3 years experience with international driving.

Should I be preparing myself for 3 or more years (international?) driving before I try again for Canada or is 2 ok?

Sorry for the long first post, hoping someone can point me in a direction on what is needed.

Thanks
Tom
Old Jun 26th 2012, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

wire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: A bit of help in starting out

Getting an international job with no experience will be difficult I feel sure.
The most important thing for you is surely getting a few years experience of driving big trucks and preferably getting accustomed to living away in them all week.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks wire

Yeah thats what I was thinking. I was given the a few addresses of places that might give me a start with no experience, but it's not international work. Was just wondering if the 2 years needed for an LMO in Canada had to include international experience.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tom74
Thanks wire

Yeah thats what I was thinking. I was given the a few addresses of places that might give me a start with no experience, but it's not international work. Was just wondering if the 2 years needed for an LMO in Canada had to include international experience.
There isnt a set amount of experience to get issued an lmo. Your employer will be asked what the experience/skill requirements are for the job though - but that's up to the employer to set. It could be 2, 3 or 5 years for example. I'm lead to believe 'generally' the big trucking companies will have pre approved lmo's if they are hiring from abroad (otherwise what would be the point), so if you can get the job then you should get the lmo - Maybe someone can correct me...

To be issued an lmo, it will be down to things like whether or not hrsdc believe there is a labour shortage, how long the jobs been advertised for in Canada, the effect of hiring a foreigner, or if a Canadian or permanent resident can fill the position before you.

If youre set on trucking and there is no other alternatives for you, then just take any solid class 1 work you can get. But as wire said, getting some experience living in a tin box for prolonged periods is probably advised first.

Oh, and Ontario does not currently sponsor truckers.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks curtNIR

Yeah I went through the trying to get a LMO in Ontario before, found a company to sponsor me, but in the end hrsdc said there wasn't a shortage. I'm aware about the no trucker sponsorship in Ontario. Was going to get my licence there and try Alberta but in the end I ran out of working visa time and unfortunately had to come home.

In regards to trucking as a living it is something I have always wanted to do, especially in Canada. I know its not the same but I practically lived in my taxi for 5 years. No wife or kids so being on the road a lot really appeals to me. Just have to clear the hurdle of "can't get experience without experience" problem I'm having at the minute. Most advets here in Ireland at the minute are looking for 5 years experience.

Thanks a lot for your input
Tom
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice

Just have to clear the hurdle of "can't get experience without experience" problem I'm having at the minute. Most advets here in Ireland at the minute are looking for 5 years experience.
I know. Thats why I packed it in after getting my licence. Now I'm back in full time education heading for a science degree. Will be applying via the skilled worker route in a few years

Good luck mate.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Fair play man. Was going to go back to college myself but at the end of the day I just want to be a driver Best of luck with that and keep the head focused on getting there.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

mickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant futuremickfly has a brilliant future

The two years experience is required (in Alberta) for the PR if you are going on the PNP programme. I know companies who have taken on drivers with no experience and a licence 6 months old. There are some who will give work to people who have JUST passed their test in Canada as well.
Contact companies.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mickfly
The two years experience is required (in Alberta) for the PR if you are going on the PNP programme. I know companies who have taken on drivers with no experience and a licence 6 months old. There are some who will give work to people who have JUST passed their test in Canada as well.
Contact companies.
Thanks mickfly

Wow Really? Non Canadians? Maybe I should have headed to Alberta while I was still over there. I just didn't think I would get an LMO without 2 years experience.

So, taking that funding isn't a problem, what would a good plan of action be? I realize I have to get a Canadian licence first. Maybe go over on a tourist visa and apply for my driving test first. Get my air brake endorsement. And do the whole flagpole thing if I got an LMO from a company, or if not, come back here and apply to companies with my full AZ licence.

Thing is, sounds like as good an option as heading to England and trying to start there with no experience either. I'm gonna be using start up funds either way, just minus the air fare. And Canada is the end goal anyway.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

pat..sue is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there looking for some advice..im liveing in scotland after many phone calls to lots and lots of canadian trucking companys got one to interview me in ontario ..challenger motor freight..which im waiting for a letter can i use this letter at pearson airport to get my work permit..or do i have get the job first then go across the border to flagpole to get my work permit ...waiting on the immigration to come though got married to a canadian last year in ontario .got a pain in my butt wife over there me over here trucking all over the uk in a dead end job..any advice would be very helpfull ..thanks
Old Jun 29th 2012, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pat..sue
hi there looking for some advice..im liveing in scotland after many phone calls to lots and lots of canadian trucking companys got one to interview me in ontario ..challenger motor freight..which im waiting for a letter can i use this letter at pearson airport to get my work permit..or do i have get the job first then go across the border to flagpole to get my work permit ...waiting on the immigration to come though got married to a canadian last year in ontario .got a pain in my butt wife over there me over here trucking all over the uk in a dead end job..any advice would be very helpfull ..thanks
Letter for interview - No permit.
You need a positive LMO from Challenger, you might ask this question before flying out, then a contract of employment from them. You should get a 2 year work permit. BUT Ontario do not allow truck drivers to get PR via the PNP route. They don't do it for truckers period, you'll need to choose another province if thats your aim.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by alandoug
Letter for interview - No permit.
You need a positive LMO from Challenger, you might ask this question before flying out, then a contract of employment from them. You should get a 2 year work permit. BUT Ontario do not allow truck drivers to get PR via the PNP route. They don't do it for truckers period, you'll need to choose another province if thats your aim.
aye but hes got a Canadian wife. PR via spouse
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

pat..sue is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the advice...not get a lmo until i get interview and offered the job first then told i can flagpole ...
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

Sats72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks mickfly

Wow Really? Non Canadians? Maybe I should have headed to Alberta while I was still over there. I just didn't think I would get an LMO without 2 years experience.

So, taking that funding isn't a problem, what would a good plan of action be? I realize I have to get a Canadian licence first. Maybe go over on a tourist visa and apply for my driving test first. Get my air brake endorsement. And do the whole flagpole thing if I got an LMO from a company, or if not, come back here and apply to companies with my full AZ licence.

Thing is, sounds like as good an option as heading to England and trying to start there with no experience either. I'm gonna be using start up funds either way, just minus the air fare. And Canada is the end goal anyway.
Hello Tom, another option for you is to do the harvest run in the US for a season or two and then try the Canadian companies when you finish. I know that Altendorf Harvesting in North Dakota are desperate for truck drivers right now and this will make your cv a lot more attractive to your potential Canadian employers.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 5:56 am
Just Joined

Hey sats72
Thanks for the advice. Yes that would be an ideal way to go about getting some experience, but being from Ireland I reckon I am going to hit a wall there insofar as needing to get a work visa for the states. I will look into it all the same. Thanks for your input

Tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.