Any Advise

Old Nov 21st 2008, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

upthecreek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Advise

Good day,
May i just start by saying I Know ive messed up but its happened so please dont rub it in.
I have just moved to edmonton with my family as i had a job offer so after many phone calls to various government sites i was almost 100% that nothing could go wrong. So the house went shortly followed by all the furniture and hey presto im in edmonton excited for the future.
After 4 days of being here i recieve an email from my potential employer that the LMO has been refused as they did not realise that i need 9000 hours of recorded experience before i can even think about sitting the exam. So out came the calculator and i tried to think how i could fit 9000 in to 20 months.
Anyway i am now here trying to fall back on my hgv qualifications however i cannot convert to an alberta licence until i have a form of residency ie TWP etc...
My only hope is a job offer as i acn sort everythiong else out ( i hope )

If any of you reading this understood then do you have any advise.

Thank you for your time and giggles.

yours sincearly

MR I M Stuck
Old Nov 21st 2008, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Advise

[QUOTE=upthecreek;6997343]Good day,
May i just start by saying I Know ive messed up but its happened so please dont rub it in.
I have just moved to edmonton with my family as i had a job offer so after many phone calls to various government sites i was almost 100% that nothing could go wrong. So the house went shortly followed by all the furniture and hey presto im in edmonton excited for the future.
After 4 days of being here i recieve an email from my potential employer that the LMO has been refused as they did not realise that i need 9000 hours of recorded experience before i can even think about sitting the exam. So out came the calculator and i tried to think how i could fit 9000 in to 20 months.
Anyway i am now here trying to fall back on my hgv qualifications however i cannot convert to an alberta licence until i have a form of residency ie TWP etc...

yours sincearly

MR I M Stuck[/QUOTE

Short and sweet then,get a job offer as a trucker,from a company that complies with all the rules and regs regarding PNP for Alberta. Once you have a job offer next comes the LMO then the Work permit. Once you got all that sorted you can change ya licence and take ya Class1...if all goes well you are looking at a 6-8week time frame before you can begin to earn.. good luck
Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

chris kim has a brilliant futurechris kim has a brilliant futurechris kim has a brilliant futurechris kim has a brilliant futurechris kim has a brilliant futurechris kim has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by upthecreek
Good day,

yours sincearly

MR I M Stuck
we are in edmonton been here 4 weeks.on fuel tanks. gremmie is spot on. lots of jobs in edmonton sun. if you want a beer and a chat let me know. i can recomend a great truck driving school to upgrade your license.. DONAVANS....... chris......
Old Nov 25th 2008, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Cheers mate. Have got a job offer from a long haul company but i have to go back to england and go through a solicitors to get it done properly. I hope to be back in no more than 12 months.

Cheers

Up the creek
Old Nov 25th 2008, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers mate. Have got a job offer from a long haul company but i have to go back to england and go through a solicitors to get it done properly. I hope to be back in no more than 12 months.

Cheers

Up the creek
Duh !!!get what done properly through a solicitor
Old Nov 25th 2008, 2:51 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your plans.
You'll get there in the end if you don't give up.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

cheers
Old Nov 25th 2008, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

i have to go back to england and go through a solicitors to get it done properly
DITO what Gremmie said......

Why do you need to go back to UK and see a solicitor "To get it done properly????"

confused.com
Old Nov 25th 2008, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

I need to go back because i have to go through an agency. I have a job offer waiting however i cannot find a company who will give me a job with out a work permit and i cant afford to wait around just incase things take too long. The solicitors do all paperwork etc so at least if im in england i can work up till the day i arrive back here unless you know any one who will employ me now??
Old Nov 25th 2008, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

bigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to allbigwheels241 is a name known to all

I need to go back because i have to go through an agency. I have a job offer waiting however i cannot find a company who will give me a job with out a work permit and i cant afford to wait around just incase things take too long. The solicitors do all paperwork etc so at least if im in england i can work up till the day i arrive back here unless you know any one who will employ me now??
Bet you London to a doubledecker bus that Lawyer and agencey costs you a small packet of cash.

Foolish move - talk to the two asking Why do you have to go back in this post of yours....
Old Nov 25th 2008, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

i dont think you quite understand my situation, i require a job offer to get my work permit and i cannot find a company who will give me a job offer. The onlly company that will employ me requires me to go through these soliciters to sort out my LMO as they dont deal with this. Plus i dont have the money to suppost my family in the mean time. Therefor i will have to return to the uk so i can work while all this is processed.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Take your Pick.

I bet you could walk into most companies and ask if they are hiring and they would say "When can you start"

Once you have a contract the LMO should be through in a matter of weeks. Drive or Fly over the border with the LMO, Contract, Fees and apply for your Work Permit at the Border.

Drive back to your new employer and start work, training or what ever else you have agreed with them.

Which company are you talking about having to use solicitor for?

For a starter for 10.

Siemens are in Alberta and are hiring
H&R are in Alberta and are hiring - contact shedlock2000 he will advise

It might mean a move within Alberta but Hey Ho beggers can't be chosers and will be a dam sight cheaper than all returning to the UK

Failing that get a resume sorted and contacet any of the 100's you'll find here that Gremmie put together from another thread:

Can't think of any other advice you could be given or even need to help you find a job. The money you'll spend on a solicitor or agent would be far more than what you will need to support your family for 6 -8 weeks or so Canada...unless you have about 15 kids.

You also mention you sold your house, and the furniture "Went" does this mean shipped a container what you gonna do in regards to this. To ship all the goods back again or store them in Canada + Insurance (unless you have friends) will also cost a small fortune.

What job did you initially come to do anyway...you mentioned needing 9000hrs of experience I take it was a trade of some description...did you need to sit the red seal exams?

Time is ticking on and you don't need us to tell you you need to get your finger out and get a job ASAP....or the cost is just gonna esculate and eat into any savings you have left if any.

However "I would NOT return to the UK it's a step backwards"

"Get a resume get emailing and get knocking on doors..thats the advice I would give"

Cheers and good luck

Dave

An aid to find Canadian truck companies and employment

The first 5 cover the whole of Canada,just choose your Province
www.overtheroad.ca
www.canadiantruckers.com
www.fleetdirectory.com
www.canadatransportation.com
http://www.trucknews.com/Careers/Career_ads.asp

Websites of the Provincial Transport Assocs.
Atlantic Provs www.apta.ca Click quick links then member profiles
Manitoba www.trucking.mb.ca
Ontario www.ontruck.org Click members only then Carrier weblinks
Alberta www.amta.ca Click on Carrier Guide
saskatchewen www.sasktrucking.com Click on Links for profiles
Brit. Columbia www.bctrucking.com Click on Transport services/Trucking

Last edited by DAVIE_MAC; Nov 26th 2008 at 9:08 am.
Old Nov 26th 2008, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Cheers Davie_mac i will ring around and see what comes of it.
I have a job offer at northwest transport in edmonton but just need these solisitors to do my lmo as the company dont touch it. There part of the truckers program which i know a few people have done so am just following advice.
I came out here to be a plumber as i am corgi registered back in the uk but it counts for nowt over here. Im not bothered as the money is just as good in trucking and i enjoy driving a little more.

will keep you posted

cheers

Upthecreek