Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

You know you've reached a major milestone in your life when

Wikiposts

You know you've reached a major milestone in your life when

Old Jan 16th 2013, 5:33 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default You know you've reached a major milestone in your life when

you fill out the claim form for your old age pension
Old Jan 16th 2013, 5:46 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you've reached a major milestone in your life when

Well congratulations on reaching a milestone that even today a fair number of people don't reach.

I hope you're around to draw your pension for a long time, but maybe you could feel just a little bit guilty now that you're depleting the pot for those of us who still have many years of work ahead of us.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 16th 2013 at 6:58 am.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 6:47 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not as much joy as being able to get that free bus pass though?

Well my mother loved that, even though it's now 10p a bus ride in the county.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 9:44 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well congratulations on reaching a milestone that even today a fair number of people don't reach.

I hope you're around to draw your pension for a long time, but maybe you could feel just a little bit guilty now that you're depleting the pot for those of us who still have many years of work ahead of us.
Thank you and I will do my best to feel just a bit guilty
Old Jan 16th 2013, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Bob
Not as much joy as being able to get that free bus pass though?
I shall miss not getting a free bus pass. Wonder when I visit the UK if I can claim as a visiting UK pensioner I should be allowed to ride for free.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats old bean!
Old Jan 16th 2013, 12:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Your wife may be entitled to a UK pension too. I remember Ray saying Joycee received one yet she had never lived in the UK.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 12:36 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
I've been getting mine for a few, no more than a few years now but my UK pension stopped coming. I called and they sent me a "proof of life" form but they want my signature witnessed by, a lawyer, or a policeman, or a magistrate, a US social security officer, or a UK consular official and the witness must have a stamp of office. In PA, lawyers don't have seals, nor do the state police who perform local duties in this township. It pisses me off that lawyers don't seal their work, I had to seal my work product as a professional engineer. The Magistrate is too busy, and the clerk wasn't sure about the seal/stamp anyway, and the soc sec people said no stamp but I have information that some of the officers do. For consular officials I would have to go to New York or Washington, quite a trek when when you are on oxygen.

I called Newcastle again and they said keep trying. Some others must have succeeded but I don't know how. I think I will go to the magistrates court and try in person and if that doesn't work, go to the nearest Soc Sec office and try there.

I forgot. When you have to provide proof that you are still alive to keep gertting your pension.

Last edited by paddingtongreen; Jan 16th 2013 at 12:38 pm. Reason: Forgot the purpose of the thread.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Your wife may be entitled to a UK pension too. I remember Ray saying Joycee received one yet she had never lived in the UK.
She has been getting hers based on her contributions, but it based on her ten years of payments. Hers should now be increased to 60% of mine. We'll see in April if it happens, I put it on my claim form.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 1:48 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
I've been getting mine for a few, no more than a few years now but my UK pension stopped coming. I called and they sent me a "proof of life" form but they want my signature witnessed by, a lawyer, or a policeman, or a magistrate, a US social security officer, or a UK consular official and the witness must have a stamp of office. In PA, lawyers don't have seals, nor do the state police who perform local duties in this township. It pisses me off that lawyers don't seal their work, I had to seal my work product as a professional engineer. The Magistrate is too busy, and the clerk wasn't sure about the seal/stamp anyway, and the soc sec people said no stamp but I have information that some of the officers do. For consular officials I would have to go to New York or Washington, quite a trek when when you are on oxygen.

I called Newcastle again and they said keep trying. Some others must have succeeded but I don't know how. I think I will go to the magistrates court and try in person and if that doesn't work, go to the nearest Soc Sec office and try there.

I forgot. When you have to provide proof that you are still alive to keep gertting your pension.
Couldn't you send them a video of yourself, holding today's newspaper to prove when it was filmed? Like the hostages?

Seriously though, what if you just had the form notarized, maybe they'd accept that?
Old Jan 16th 2013, 3:21 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Couldn't you send them a video of yourself, holding today's newspaper to prove when it was filmed? Like the hostages?

Seriously though, what if you just had the form notarized, maybe they'd accept that?
Notaries are not to be trusted, They are specific about the qualifications. I only need to get this done once, they will have my US Soc Sec number on this form and Soc Sec will tell them when I kick the bucket.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 4:25 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Yup she still get $420 every month ..

And I get $414 from the US gov....

which was supposed to be reduced under
Windfall Elimination Provision - Social Security

still waiting for then since I applied last May
Old Jan 16th 2013, 4:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Notaries are not to be trusted,
Im a notary ...
Old Jan 16th 2013, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Notario's are not to be trusted.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 12:48 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Notaries are not to be trusted, They are specific about the qualifications. I only need to get this done once, they will have my US Soc Sec number on this form and Soc Sec will tell them when I kick the bucket.
Yes, that's interesting. My wife applied for her British State Pension a few months ago, and there was a whole section in the application that asked for details of her US Social Security, including SS number. So it looks like they have it taken care of in the application now..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.