Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Are you happy to stay where you are when you reach retirement?

Wikiposts

Are you happy to stay where you are when you reach retirement?

Old Apr 25th 2016, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are you happy to stay where you are when you reach retirement?

It's something we discuss fairly regularly as we intend to retire in the next 2 to 3 years.

I would be happy to stay where we are and spend time traveling, taking advantage of longer stays in the UK with our son and visiting other states and countries.

M would like to upsticks and actually move elsewhere. Not really what I want to do. We are close to our daughter here, plus we now have a grandchild and living in Texas is not really expensive compared to many other states. Plus, unless we move back to the UK I don't see the point in starting out somewhere else.

It is a dilemma, and I'm burying my head in the sand right now and just saying "let's wait and see" .
Old Apr 25th 2016, 6:21 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Are you happy to stay where you are when you reach retirement?

Oooo. Gawd.

This is something we are currently running around in our heads like hamsters in a wheel & something I mentioned to an older couple that just moved to NZ to be with their only son.

The older couple in their mid 70's have left everything they know to be closer to their son here.

We have no offspring but I think I see us travelling around a bit before too old to do so .

The thing is, up until recently I thought I was outta NZ no matter what. Now I am not so sure. Starting over with the starting over seems like a load of hard work for an uncertain outcome
Old Apr 25th 2016, 10:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

There was nothing to keep us in NJ when hubby retired early. We intended to return to the UK...but my daughter and almost two year old granddaughter are living in Toronto. We said we would try Toronto for two years...that was 2 1/2 years ago. Hubby would go back to the UK in a heartbeat but I like being in here. Like you we want to travel...so we spend the warm months here and winter months travelling to warmer climes.

Having a daughter and granddaughter is one of life's miracles.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 25th 2016 at 10:58 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 12:31 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

We still can't make up our minds, three years after retiring. We had assumed we'd sell up and leave this small, remote town in northern New York; we both had good jobs here but now that's in the past. My wife has social networks here that she now realises she's reluctant to leave. I spend more time in our flat in England. Our conundrum is, if we were to have a pied a terre in the U.S., where would it be? One bad thing about dithering, is that we're not actually doing any travelling - as transferring between NYS and Norfolk several times a year takes up all our travelling energies. Our daughter lives in Massachusetts, our son lives in England. Although he just applied for a job in Washington DC
Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Matt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond reputeMatt Sabre has a reputation beyond repute

I'd want to spend a couple of years RV'ing across this vast and interesting country. I have seen a lot of it by car but would really like to take my time when I have the time. The same with Australia. I spent a year there and would always want to return and see more of it.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 2:07 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I think we'd like to move to a part of the country where it doesn't snow quite so much. Not sure exactly where that would be just yet but I know when I'm 70 I won't want to be shoveling that crap off my driveway and I sure as hell don't want to hand over money to have it done either
Old Apr 26th 2016, 2:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I think we'd like to move to a part of the country where it doesn't snow quite so much. Not sure exactly where that would be just yet but I know when I'm 70 I won't want to be shoveling that crap off my driveway and I sure as hell don't want to hand over money to have it done either
That what I used to think when we lived in NJ...so we moved to the Great White North.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 2:14 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That what I used to think when we lived in NJ...so we moved to the Great White North.
Yeah, I know how that goes. We'll probably end up in Wisconsin

Actually, I'd like to have the money to be able to do what my wife's granny does, they spend the summer in Wisconsin and the winter in Arizona. I might have to work to 75 to be able to afford that, though
Old Apr 26th 2016, 2:21 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

My kids are only just beginning to leave for college so I don't have the grandchild thing yet but no, I would prefer Spain for retirement. A specific little town in the Pyrennees that is just lovely and has everything I would need. From there, I'd travel around Europe. Rather like we used to do when we lived on the other side of the Pyrennees in France.

Now I just need to learn Spanish, or better, Basque.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to be able to retire! I think the next generation will be working longer and have a smaller pot to retire on. My 401k growth last year , under 2%, my savings interest rate under 1%. These don't bode well for a nest pot.
I will just live where we can afford to live where ground rent(property tax) is not excessive and healthcare is affordable
Old Apr 26th 2016, 2:38 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Somewhere with healthcare.

(Can't see us ever moving, but that is the one thing that sticks in my mind).
Old Apr 26th 2016, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

For the longest time, I thought we would retire back to the UK but then all the kids decided to stay in Texas and then the delightful Juniper came into the world.
I would still consider moving back as I have 2 sisters and at this time, both parents in the UK. My husband on the other hand has no close family living in Scotland anymore and so all his ties are to here.
When my parents moved to France in 2003, we seriously considered buying a house and moving there when we retired. After the experience we had with moving my parents back to the UK after ill health struck, we are definitely of an opinion that we would not move to country where we don't know the language or the governmental structure. My mum only had 2 yrs of good health over in France and although her French was OK for everyday life, once it became a health issue, it was woefully inadequate resulting in a very delayed diagnosis.
I think we will stay put and I suspect, given my husband's reluctance about moving, we will be dragged kicking and screaming from our current house, even though it is way too big for us now. Much like my parents really At least I get to keep my nice big art room
Are you happy to stay where you are when you reach retirement?-dsc00098.jpg
one half of the room
Old Apr 26th 2016, 3:13 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Somewhere with healthcare.

(Can't see us ever moving, but that is the one thing that sticks in my mind).
That is what worries me, the Health Care.
If we stayed we would have fantastic health care but we would also be very poor....very very poor
Old Apr 26th 2016, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend a look at Tennesee. Low cost of living, no state income tax. Weather is very good with mild winters. Cost of housing is low with low property tax and home owners insurance. I am presently building a very nice 1200 sq foot retirement house on a lake view lot with expected property tax of $650 per year and home owners insurance for less than $500 per year. Great scenery with the eastern part similar to North Carolina which would also be a good choice especially if being near ocean is important. Unsure of North Carolina income or property tax.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 3:29 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

In which country do people live the longest?(google) Italy!

Which is the happiest country (google) - Denmark.

Which country is the healthiest (google) - Singapore.....followed by Italy.

Best healthcare in the world (UN report 2000) France, followed by....Italy!

We're looking at this the wrong way peeps! Maybe I'll learn Italian instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.