Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Are you enjoying American society?

Are you enjoying American society?

Old Sep 20th 2015, 4:02 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are you enjoying American society?

My neighbourhood is full of hardworking reasonably successful parents who do their best for their kids. I find that is enough for the start of a friendly relationship, some aspects I don't like (guns, bible bashers, republicans) but I didn't expect to find anyone just like me, so when i do meet a kindred spirit, I really appreciate it.
Old Sep 20th 2015, 5:30 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

In the 9 years I've been here the only guns that I have had any contact with are the ones I own.
Old Sep 20th 2015, 11:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LotusEater33
Materialism, gun culture, religious bigotry, winner vs loser - just a few things distorting my view at the moment
Materialism is not restricted to the US. Owning things is the mainstay of life for many peoples in many countries. US is not alone in this aspect. If you are not materialistic, then why does what others do bother you?

Gun culture is prevalent in many states in the US as it is a great big country and many people hunt for food and/or sport. If you are talking about those that own guns whose only aim is to protect themselves, then I guess you would not like my husband and daughter. Personally, I have never held one nor want one for myself.

Religious bigotry has existed since the beginning of religious worship. It is nothing knew and it is seen in all countries of the world. The US does not have a monopoly on this issue.

Don't understand your winner vs loser comment. What is wrong with wanting to win or have your team win? Isn't that what sports is all about?
Old Sep 20th 2015, 11:36 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
In the 9 years I've been here the only guns that I have had any contact with are the ones I own.
ah, but I live in Texas....

we have a google group for our neigbourhood. Lat year, a couple of houses had attempted break-ins. 3 of the neighbours said they would use their guns if anyone tried to break into their houses.

One of my FB "non- friend" (ie I don't know her personally) who lives in Dallas and is well known in our dental world wrote "YES!!" under a post about a man who got shot and killed in Dallas whilst apparently trying to break into a house.
WTF? let's just skip through all that legal stuff and go to the death sentence?
Old Sep 21st 2015, 12:31 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
.....One of my FB "non- friend" (ie I don't know her personally) who lives in Dallas and is well known in our dental world wrote "YES!!" under a post about a man who got shot and killed in Dallas whilst apparently trying to break into a house.
WTF? let's just skip through all that legal stuff and go to the death sentence?
If he hadn't been trying to commit a crime he would still be alive. That is the beginning, middle, and end of the matter.

I don't believe in gloating over the death of a low-level crook, that is a bit tasteless, but having had my truck broken into twice I have absolutely no sympathy for common criminals.

ETA I am going to guess that you are unaware that prior to the temporary suspension of the death penalty in the US between 1972 and 1976, that "night breaking" (breaking into an occupied home during the hours of darkness) was commonly a capital offence. This likely explains the cavalier attitude of many Americans over the shooting of a burglar during the act of breaking and entering.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 21st 2015 at 1:03 am.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Big question, I guess.

But I'm developing a dislike of many aspects, I'm starting to think about moving away; preferably back to the friendly Asia where I worked before coming here.
Many people feel the same as you. I, myself dislike living here and still after 15 years am unable to settle. My husband on the other hand absolutely adores it here. Take a look at the "Moving Back to the UK" forum and you'll see there's plenty of expats that share your view.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Prepare to repell the junk mail deluge in the months leading up to Medicare!

It's started already, lol !! It all looks horribly confusing, but I'll have to figure something out before November.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mamasue
It's started already, lol !! It all looks horribly confusing, but I'll have to figure something out before November.
I still get the previous resident's Medicare junk mail, and we moved in 8 years ago. I really should start returning that stuff to sender.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 12:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
I still get the previous resident's Medicare junk mail, and we moved in 8 years ago. I really should start returning that stuff to sender.
It does no good. I still get junk in my PO Box after ten years and I have rigorously sent all misdirected mail back RTS/Gone Away. Mrs P said from the outset I was wasting my time. It is about time for me to concede that she was right all along.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mamasue
I recommend taking the traditional Medicare versus one of those insurance company managed plans. The only decision that would be left is buying a Medicare supplement which is easy to compare from company to company. I went on Medicare last year and didn't even have to deal with a supplement as my Navy retirement provides a free supplement. I see your are from North Georgia. I live just up the road in southern Tennessee about 60 miles north west of Chattanooga.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 6:53 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

You can't pin down a single catch-all description of 'American society', there are so many regional variations here to be able to do that.

My day-to-day experience here in the Midwest is not always going to be the same as those of someone in California, or the East Coast. Certain things are similar place to place, but there are just as many differences between locales in the USA as there are similarities

That being said, my day-to-day where I am is perfectly fine. Is it better than the UK? No, but it's not worse either.
Old Sep 21st 2015, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Big question, I guess.

But I'm developing a dislike of many aspects, I'm starting to think about moving away; preferably back to the friendly Asia where I worked before coming here.
I enjoy it very much where I live. I enjoyed most of the other areas where I lived too. Not sure whether that's related to the areas I lived, the society I chose to keep within those areas, or maybe I'm just easily pleased
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
My neighbourhood is full of hardworking reasonably successful parents who do their best for their kids. I find that is enough for the start of a friendly relationship, some aspects I don't like (guns, bible bashers, republicans) but I didn't expect to find anyone just like me, so when i do meet a kindred spirit, I really appreciate it.
This is my view too. I live in the south also, currently in South Carolina but my husband has just applied for a job in Austin, and I avoid certain topics with people and we get on just fine. We agree to disagree on some stuff. Of course I was like that when we lived in the UK too. There are some things I just refused to discuss with some people, for my sanity and their safety. (joke)
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

midwest1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
You can't pin down a single catch-all description of 'American society', there are so many regional variations here to be able to do that.

My day-to-day experience here in the Midwest is not always going to be the same as those of someone in California, or the East Coast. .... No, but it's not worse either.
Well said! The common factor in American society is the individual freedom offered by the Bill of rights and the constitution.. I think that most western nations are all great societies, in their own ways.. The UK, Germany, Austria, Scandanavian countries and many more!