Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Yet Another Re-make of an original Brit TV show

Yet Another Re-make of an original Brit TV show

Old Nov 6th 2013, 12:23 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Yet Another Re-make of an original Brit TV show

Earlier this year I was glued to the telly when the ITV drama series "Broadchurch" was being broadcast (I was watching it in Switzerland but I understand that 'Broadchurch' was shown on BBC America during the Summer).

I'm dismayed that it is now having an American remake for the Fox channel with the scenes being shot in the US. David Tennant will have an American accent and Olivia Coleman isn't going to be in it. (She will however be in the 2nd series of 'Broadchurch' for ITV).

I don't know why the mainstream American channels have to ruin a perfectly good British drama and re-shoot it all, setting it in an American town and featuring mostly American actors. It's not as if English is a foreign language and subtitles are needed and OTOH it's rare for an American show to go through a re-make for British TV viewers

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...oadchurch.html

Just as well they can't do an American remake of Downton Abbey lol!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...evision_series
Old Nov 6th 2013, 12:42 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yet Another Re-make of an original Brit TV show

Who cares? It'll get canned after this one series because no one likes the slow pace.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Very old news.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 2:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Who cares? It'll get canned after this one series because no one likes the slow pace.
IMI Broadchurch was far too long...2 to 3 hours would have been enough. I can't imagine how dreadful the US version will be.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 2:52 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit by 5th hour it was dragging a little - they set about trying to suggest most of the town could have done it, apart from focusing on the one person who did. The wife was irritated that I got it right who the killer was before the end of the show, simply because they had spent no time on why they might have done it.
Old Nov 6th 2013, 4:15 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the role of the mother was played well.

(Even though I'm too lazy to go find out who that actually was).
Old Nov 6th 2013, 5:01 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I liked the original. Can't see it having legs for a good sequel though.

As for remakes, not all are bad, the UK remake of The Bridge, called The Tunnel is rather good, but that show seems to have been made by everyone at the moment...
Old Nov 7th 2013, 5:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoyed it; probably because I don't go out of my way to watch any 'British' TV shows in particular, so Broadchurch was quite a novelty and it was a bit of a 'nostalgia' event.

They did drag out the 'discovery' too long, but I enjoyed getting to know all the characters. And of course, they confirmed that everyone in England knows someone called 'Nige' (Nigel) who is a weirdo...
Old Nov 7th 2013, 11:19 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I enjoyed it; probably because I don't go out of my way to watch any 'British' TV shows in particular, so Broadchurch was quite a novelty and it was a bit of a 'nostalgia' event.

They did drag out the 'discovery' too long, but I enjoyed getting to know all the characters. And of course, they confirmed that everyone in England knows someone called 'Nige' (Nigel) who is a weirdo...
Nige turned me in to the teachers, on the first day of school, for having cigarettes.