Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Yae for kack student loans

Yae for kack student loans

Old Dec 13th 2006, 5:33 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yae for kack student loans

Originally Posted by anabella
The other day I went to a local bank and asked about...
Hubby is correct -- you won't get any marks with credit scoring for having an overdraft facility at your bank.

Also, the Patriot Act claims are crap, too. The law says that if you have a SSN, you must give it to them. If you don't, you must merely prove your identity. A passport and UK credit card should do the trick. When you get a SSN, go give them it.

Sounds like you're at a mom and pop bank or chose the dodo in the branch. Try BoA or Wells Fargo in your neck of the woods and ask about their secured cards. Alternatively/as well, how about piggybacking hubby's credit. I'm presuming he already has a score.
Old Dec 13th 2006, 5:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

And is it normal to not be able to get a credit card from your bank? Where do I get it from then?
The big guns, are BoA (especially after buying out MBNA), Capital One, AmEx....they pretty much do everyone's cards with a couple others.
Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:00 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Do you recommend any particular card?

I feel that I have a lot to learn in that respect.. I haven't used a credit card in my life (never wanted one). I find it really hard to understand why you must owe money in order to prove that you are a good payer..

Amex blue cash

and pay in full

I love amex
Old Dec 14th 2006, 5:03 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Be a good girl and do as Fatbrit tells you, and in about 6 months they should convert it to a proper card.

Bank of america refused to convert my secured credit card to unsecured until i had my green card

since that was a way off I told them to stick it, closed it down and got amex optima credit instead

I did this by applying in the states and being refused.

then i applied in the uk and was accepted

then went to planet feedback and asked for them to take my uk acceptance for a us credit card

and they did