WTF in America

Old Aug 9th 2020, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Burglary is a young man's crime. If you lock up a habitual burglar until his 50th birthday he is statistically unlikely to reoffend.

AFAICT, having watched rather too many true crime videos on YT, the default in the Canadian justice system appears to be for the possibility of parole for first degree homicide after a period not exceeding 25 years, and for the possibility of parole for all other crimes after a period not exceeding 10 years. This is IMO waaaay too lenient in many cases, and especially for rape.

I am a supporter of reform of the US criminal just system, as in deed many people are in the US across the political spectrum, including to the right of my views, such as the Koch Brothers. There really needs to be a way, other than by pardon, to wipe criminal records, after say 10 years, as leaving ex-convicts with a permanent blot on their life that likely condemns them to live permanently outside of the economic mainstream has nothing to do with justice.

I am also doubtful that the death penalty is much of a deterrent, but I am still in favour as it tends to reduce the risk of reoffending. Much of the history of miscarriage of justice has been eliminated thanks to advances in DNA technology and other forensic sciences, and the likes of Chris Wattshttps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watts_family_murders deserves no more than to be dragged to the curb and shot like a rabid dog.
I have often thought to contract out much of our prison system to a renown
prison system like Mexico. Give all but the worst one year followed by a long period of parole. Reoffend and you are back on the bus to Mexico for your full original sentence plus whatever new you qualify for. One year in a Mexican prison would be a great incentive to not return.
Old Aug 9th 2020, 7:41 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
.... Its pointless in eliminating anything if courts refuse it
I agree, and that's my point. DNA testing was available in 1993, and it is unacceptable (to me at least), that a man was executed without the avaliable forensic evidence being subject to DNA testing. .... That's the beginning and end of my point on the subject.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 9th 2020 at 7:44 pm.
Old Aug 9th 2020, 7:51 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, and that's my point. DNA testing was available in 1993, and that someone was executed with forensic evidence being subject to DNA testing is unacceptable (to me, at least). .... That's the beginning and end of my point on the subject, and you seem to be going out of your way to find bases to disagree with me. That often seems to be the case.
You support the death penalty, based on two stated issues, (This is how I saw the point you were making)
Its stops re-offending, and DNA stops miscarriages. I did not consider these points to be well founded as arguments to support the death penalty.
Incarceration would seem to stop most re-offending opportunities too, though I acknowledge murder in prisons happens..I pointed out Lee, as one example of many were DNA may point to innocence and yet the person was killed anyway. I am not sure how I am going out of my way here. It seems a straight forward trajectory from your post. We disagree on many things, though I have always appreciated your contributions, even when I find them infuriating, as you always attempt to base them in logic and argument.
Old Aug 9th 2020, 8:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
You support the death penalty, based on two stated issues, (This is how I saw the point you were making)
Its stops re-offending, and DNA stops miscarriages. I did not consider these points to be well founded as arguments to support the death penalty.
Incarceration would seem to stop most re-offending opportunities too, though I acknowledge murder in prisons happens.
My first point was facetious, though in support of my (serious) support of the death penalty.
I pointed out Lee, as one example of many were DNA may point to innocence and yet the person was killed anyway. I am not sure how I am going out of my way here. ....
Because DNA testing was available but not used. It may have provided clarity, but you can't blame "faulty" DNA testing, when for some bizarre reason a stay was not granted so that DNA testing could be performed. On that much I think we agree. Beyond that, if the DNA testing confirmed his culpability I would be perfectly content to see him executed, you I presume would not.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 12:14 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

First of all dumb enough to go to Sturgis Bike Week this year and then tries to pet a bison calf!
https://www.twincities.com/2020/08/1...uffalo-in-s-d/
Old Aug 18th 2020, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by lizzyq
First of all dumb enough to go to Sturgis Bike Week this year and then tries to pet a bison calf! .....
I was going to say "unbelievable", but I caught myself because it is sadly all too believable.

Also, yes, I don't think that heading to Sturgis this year was the smartest idea either.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 18th 2020 at 1:09 am.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 1:04 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

First of all dumb enough to go to Sturgis Bike Week this year and then tries to pet a bison calf!

Old Aug 18th 2020, 1:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Always idiots who think wildlife are like pets, like those who think its smart to bother bear cubs and mama bear shows up and isn't happy. Never mess with wildlife, especially baby wildlife of large animals, mamma will be nearby and not happy.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by caretaker
[Sturgis 2020]
And some of the expected 250,000 attendees will be returning soon to a neighbourhood near you!
Old Aug 18th 2020, 1:37 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

And some of the expected 250,000 attendees will be returning soon to a neighbourhood near you!
Nope.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Sugarmooma apparently knows a bunch of the 'Sturgis' crowd; hopefully she'll keep us informed!
Old Aug 18th 2020, 7:54 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Words fail me: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/y...-as-their-king
Old Aug 18th 2020, 8:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

That must have taken some balls
Old Aug 18th 2020, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by steveq
That must have taken some balls
"Taken" as in "removed"?
Old Aug 18th 2020, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Sugarmooma apparently knows a bunch of the 'Sturgis' crowd; hopefully she'll keep us informed!

Nope, all our biker friends are sensible enough not to go to bike rallies this year.

Actually most of them are too old and decrepit to ride that far

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.