WTF in America

Old Mar 21st 2019, 1:42 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Funnily enough, they were dropped today, a day after her civil rights lawyer gave a public statement...

What a coincidence.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 2:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
It's America. Aggression from police is common and they don't like it if you won't let yourself be bullied by them.
Given the million or so LE officers of one flavor or another across the country, unwarranted police aggression is rare, but when it happens the media are all over it, ... and rightly so, but that doesn't make it commonplace.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 21st 2019 at 2:50 am.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 2:41 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Given the million or so LE officers of one flavor or another across the country, unwarrwnted police agression is rare, but when it happens the media are all over it, ... and rightly so, but that doesn't make it commonplace.
Maybe it just feels more commonplace? I mean, it isn't more commonplace than in Mexico where the police are corrupt and liable to rob you, beat you up, or worse. But it does seem that their training involves what they consider to be techniques of domination and aggression to control, as opposed to de-escalation which I believe to be the more common training and technique in the UK and Europe. Here it feels much like the general population is the potential enemy, as opposed to simply people, and the police train that way.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 3:01 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
.... Here it feels much like the general population is the potential enemy, ....
And it is a well-armed enemy, which is a good part of the problem.

Every call a police officer responds to, every house he/she is sent to, every car he/she stops, has the potential to become an armed ambush attack against the officer. Is it any wonder that the police, sheriff's deputies, state troopers, etc. are edgy and tend towards aggression?
Old Mar 21st 2019, 4:06 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Given the million or so LE officers of one flavor or another across the country, unwarranted police aggression is rare, but when it happens the media are all over it, ... and rightly so, but that doesn't make it commonplace.
In at least some places it has been systematic and institutional. That is why the Justice Department gets involved with some police districts and demands that they comply with the Constitution via court-ordered police reforms. This is the case in my city. They are now apparently in compliance, and it has been a year or two since an incident made the news..
Old Mar 21st 2019, 1:19 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

How does that boot taste?
Old Mar 21st 2019, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
How does that boot taste?
My interactions with LE have always been pleasant, or at least professional and respectful, even the time that I was chased.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 2:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

My interactions with LE have always been pleasant, or at least professional and respectful, even the time that I was chased.
Tell me more!
Old Mar 21st 2019, 2:58 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

And? That's their job, professionalism in interactions with the public is the bare minimum one would expect from civil servants. No reason to lick boots.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 3:28 pm
Account Closed

And? That's their job, professionalism in interactions with the public is the bare minimum one would expect from civil servants. No reason to lick boots.
But not a bad idea when the can make your life hell, no issues in the US, a few weird ones in the UK.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 3:37 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Boiler
But not a bad idea when the can make your life hell, no issues in the US, a few weird ones in the UK.
I don't think it's exactly an ideal situation when public servants can be considered to have the ability to make anyone's life hell with apparent impunity, wherever on Earth that may be taking place.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 3:39 pm
Account Closed

I don't think it's exactly an ideal situation when public servants can be considered to have the ability to make anyone's life hell with apparent impunity, wherever on Earth that may be taking place.
Venezuela.

Seriously, pretty much everywhere.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 3:42 pm
I have a comma problem

Venezuela.

Seriously, pretty much everywhere.
Got to fill those for-profit prisons somehow I guess.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 3:44 pm
Account Closed

Quick trip to the DMV, dealing with the Building Dept, well we can go on.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 3:47 pm
I have a comma problem

Quick trip to the DMV ...
What kind of fantasy world do you live in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.