WTF in America

Old Jan 9th 2017, 7:16 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by Boiler
America dropped 26,171 bombs in 2016. What a bloody end to Obama's reign

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...6-obama-legacy

Ooops 3 an hour

Go Obama
Stop trying to pretend like you're some humanitarian pacifist and not some alt-right crybaby looking for something to pin on an otherwise comparatively OK 8 years.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 7:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Stop trying to pretend like you're some humanitarian pacifist and not some alt-right crybaby looking for something to pin on an otherwise comparatively OK 8 years.
When I see stupidity I like to call it.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 7:23 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
When I see stupidity I like to call it.
How do you reconcile that with your posts, then?

I mean, we're at war; have been since 2003. Right or wrong, bombs tend to be dropped during a war.

Obama just couldn't win either way. Either continue the wars started by his predecessor and he's some kind of hawk, or stop the fighting and he's seen as being soft on terror/the Middle East/whatever bogeyman the paranoid, scared-of-their-own-shadow right wing like to demonize this week.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I mean, we're at war; have been since 2003. Right or wrong, bombs tend to be dropped during a war.

Obama just couldn't win either way. Either continue the wars started by his predecessor and he's some kind of hawk, or stop the fighting and he's seen as being soft on terror/the Middle East/whatever bogeyman the paranoid, scared-of-their-own-shadow right wing like to demonize this week.
I think the only way for him to win was to drop more bombs. I believe we are still at war. It was a bad idea to drop the first bomb in the first place with hindsight.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 7:42 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by mrken30
I think the only way for him to win was to drop more bombs. I believe we are still at war. It was a bad idea to drop the first bomb in the first place with hindsight.
It's just a series of smaller and smaller bombs all the way down. Except for those two really big ones we dropped a while ago.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 8:17 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

We've actually been at war since 2001.

Also, the problem is Obama has massively expanded the use of drone strikes as well as increasing the number of countries the US is bombing up to eight. That isn't a liberal position, but half the left ignore it.

Granted, if McCain had won, things would more than likely as worse, but it don't make Obama good.

Also, Boiler may be many things, but alt-right isn't one.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 8:27 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by zargof

Also, the problem is Obama has massively expanded the use of drone strikes as well as increasing the number of countries the US is bombing up to eight. That isn't a liberal position, but half the left ignore it.

Granted, if McCain had won, things would more than likely as worse, but it don't make Obama good.

Also, Boiler may be many things, but alt-right isn't one.
I don't know why I was thinking only of Iraq and not Afghanistan. Anyway, I wasn't concerning myself with the right or wrongs of it, merely mentioning that when a country is at war, bombs tend to be dropped and it certainly isn't something to be used to consider Obama's terms as a bad presidency, when they clearly weren't.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 8:34 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why I was thinking only of Iraq and not Afghanistan. Anyway, I wasn't concerning myself with the right or wrongs of it, merely mentioning that when a country is at war, bombs tend to be dropped and it certainly isn't something to be used to consider Obama's terms as a bad presidency, when they clearly weren't.
Just pointing out the hypocrisy of the situation, in that if it's a Republican in charge then the left considers wars as a bad thing. But if it's a Democrat in charge then those same wars are conveniently ignored.

Of course when it's comes to deficits then it's vice versa.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 8:46 pm
I have a comma problem

Just pointing out the hypocrisy of the situation, in that if it's a Republican in charge then the left considers wars as a bad thing. But if it's a Democrat in charge then those same wars are conveniently ignored.

Of course when it's comes to deficits then it's vice versa.
Wars are too much of a grey area to be a pure left/right issue anyway. I mean, I'm not a fan of the current one but I do accept the reality of the situation when it comes to how Obama has to lead the country through a war.

Though, you'd be hard pushed to find people even on the left who would argue that the Second World War wasn't a necessary evil.
Old Jan 9th 2017, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the US has been in one armed conflict or another since WW1 without a significant break between any of them.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 2:57 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the US has been in one armed conflict or another since WW1 without a significant break between any of them.
It was WW2. There was nothing between the wars for the US, but there has been at least one armed conflict every decade since WW2.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

It was WW2. There was nothing between the wars for the US, but there has been at least one armed conflict every decade since WW2.
Between WW1 and WW2 it was just economic warfare.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

I knew about Mexican/US troubles between the two wars but it also turns out that there were issues in Cuba and Panama as well. I was curious and went googling. If you include conflicts with indigenous North American peoples and Civil War the US has only 14 (21 if you exclude the odd foray by the CIA) war free years since it gained independence, their longest period of military inactivity was 1935 to 1940.
As if the amount of time spent fighting other nations wasn't enough WTFery, many of those conflicts were US initiated offensives. Makes Russia's spats in Crimea and and other old USSR territories seem fairly insignificant (To clarify, I'm not saying that they are insignificant).

Edit: Mind you, they're still only amateurs at it if you compare them to the Brits in their heyday!!!

Last edited by zzrmark; Jan 10th 2017 at 9:35 pm.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 9:16 pm
I have a comma problem

I knew about Mexican/US troubles between the two wars but it also turns out that there were issues in Cuba and Panama as well. I was curious and went googling. If you include conflicts with indigenous North American peoples and Civil War the US has only 14 (21 if you exclude the odd foray by the CIA) war free years since it gained independence, their longest period of military inactivity was 1935 to 1940.
As if the amount of time spent fighting other nations wasn't enough WTFery, many of those conflicts were US initiated offensives. Makes Russia's spats in Crimea and and other old USSR territories seem fairly insignificant (To clarify, I'm not saying that they are insignificant).
Well, shit. Guess the page I found had a few omissions, then.
Old Jan 10th 2017, 9:18 pm
I love my brick!

Indeed. When they talk about American exceptionalism, what they really mean is American supremacy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.