British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   WTF in America (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/wtf-america-827476/)

Michael Nov 4th 2014 2:25 am

Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11460569)
I love a bit of ham.

You are a ham.:lol:

SultanOfSwing Nov 4th 2014 2:27 am

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 11460576)
You are a ham.:lol:

Maybe a bit ...

Michael Nov 4th 2014 2:29 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11460577)
Maybe a bit ...

That's why you like a bit of ham.:nod:

AlphaTangoMike Nov 13th 2014 1:05 pm

I'm not sure if someone has posted this before (despite many years of lurking, I can't recall seeing it mentioned): What is up with the weird cutlery skills in America? I.e. fork in the right hand, hacking at something with a knife and then switching hands. As Dlake02 mentioned in his 'post' today, eating like a JCB, a very apt analogy, the way that food is scooped / shoveled.

fozzyb Nov 13th 2014 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by AlphaTangoMike (Post 11470485)
I'm not sure if someone has posted this before (despite many years of lurking, I can't recall seeing it mentioned): What is up with the weird cutlery skills in America? I.e. fork in the right hand, hacking at something with a knife and then switching hands. As Dlake02 mentioned in his 'post' today, eating like a JCB, a very apt analogy, the way that food is scooped / shoveled.

In terms of calories delivered per second it seems a highly optimized engineering solution.

AlphaTangoMike Nov 13th 2014 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by fozzyb (Post 11470490)
In terms of calories delivered per second it seems a highly optimized engineering solution.

It certainly is optimized for delivering maximum calories. The process can be quite painful to watch, especially when you include the other bizarre habit of taking a mouthful of water with each forkful of food.

Pulaski Nov 13th 2014 1:16 pm

It's been covered a number of times, including lengthy treatises defending the practice by Michael and RoadWarriorFromLP. :rolleyes:

SultanOfSwing Nov 13th 2014 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by fozzyb (Post 11470490)

All that hand swapping really isn't very efficient though. It would take twice the amount of time to eat something that way, compared to keeping the fork in your left hand and the knife in the right the whole time.

Originally Posted by AlphaTangoMike (Post 11470498)
... bizarre habit of taking a mouthful of water with each forkful of food.

Never seen that :blink:

AlphaTangoMike Nov 13th 2014 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11470502)
It's been covered a number of times, including lengthy treatises defending the practice by Michael and RoadWarriorFromLP. :rolleyes:

Fair enough. I'm glad that others have noticed it. I thought that I was being overly pedantic, or that my parents had perhaps gone overboard with table manners.

fozzyb Nov 13th 2014 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11470506)
All that hand swapping really isn't very efficient though. It would take twice the amount of time to eat something that way, compared to keeping the fork in your left hand and the knife in the right the whole time.

With practice the hand swapping can be done concurrently to the swallowing, keeping it off the critical path.

(and for us lefties - there is nowt wrong with keeping the fork in the right hand the whole time ;) )

SultanOfSwing Nov 13th 2014 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by fozzyb (Post 11470512)
With practice the hand swapping can be done concurrently to the swallowing, keeping it off the critical path

Honestly, I wouldn't care if they used their feet to hold the knife and fork, if they'd all just keep their ****ing mouths closed while they chewed :sick:

That being said, I was just back in the UK and the noise my sister made when she was eating was mental. Plebs.

AlphaTangoMike Nov 13th 2014 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 11470513)
Honestly, I wouldn't care if they used their feet to hold the knife and fork, if they'd all just keep their ****ing mouths closed while they chewed :sick:

This is where I notice the concurrent food & water intake. When chewing with an open mouth (and then naturally attempting to speak), a gulp of water assists in lubricating the pie hole, making the half chewed food easier to swallow / speak through.

Sally Redux Nov 13th 2014 1:25 pm

It's like no-one ever made it out of the remedial class in eating.

Pulaski Nov 13th 2014 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11470516)
It's like no-one ever made it out of the remedial class in eating.

After 3½ years of daycare and 2+ years of school, little Miss P is no better at handling a knife and fork, now, at the age of 7 than she was at the time of her second birthday! :frown:

It has been a long, slow, and sometimes painful process but at last little Miss P is set to surpass the previous high water mark in cutlery manipulation which she set when she reached her second birthday. :unsure:

Sally Redux Nov 13th 2014 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11470541)
After 3½ years of daycare and 2+ years of school, little Miss P is no better at handling a knife and fork, now, at the age of 7 than she was at the time of her second birthday! :frown:

It has been a long, slow, and sometimes painful process but at last little Miss P is set to surpass the previous high water mark in cutlery manipulation which she set when she reached her second birthday. :unsure:

Why bother if she's staying there? :p

It's funny when you see toddlers effortlessly manipulating chopsticks.