Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Would you support an American El Gordo?

View Poll Results: Would you support an American El Gordo?
Yes
44.44%
No
55.56%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Would you support an American El Gordo?

Old Dec 28th 2015, 10:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you support an American El Gordo?

Originally Posted by nigelcg
I was talking about playing online, not the technology that lotteries use to operate the game.
Which like I already said above, is illegal in almost all US states.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

nigelcg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Which like I already said above, is illegal in almost all US states.

American lotteries could learn a lot from the UK. Whatever one may feel about lotteries, the British lottery is the most successful lottery in the world. It has raised billions for good causes, which is the reason for lotteries in the first place.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 10:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

American lotteries could learn a lot from the UK. ......
You could learn a lot about the legal framework that constrains the permissible activities of all gambling-related businesses in the US, rather than making oblique, ill-informed criticisms of how lotteries work in the US.
Old Dec 28th 2015, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You could learn a lot about the legal framework that constrains the permissible activities of all gambling-related businesses in the US, rather than making oblique, ill-informed criticisms of how lotteries work in the US.
Change the legal framework!
Old Dec 28th 2015, 10:47 pm

Change the legal framework!
You really don't know anything about the cultural history and legal framework of the US. [I am not even going to phrase that as a question! ]

Clue: the state I call home is more "progressive" than many and yet I am still surrounded by "dry" towns and counties. If you think that the vast bulk of the US, The South, The Bible Belt, The Heartland, and other vast tracts far, and not so far, from SF, LA, Boston, NYC, DC, and Miami, you should have another think!
Old Dec 29th 2015, 4:54 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

There are too many Americans who look like El Gordo thanks to places like McDs
Old Jan 10th 2016, 6:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

This jackpot seems pretty decent.

No winning Powerball tickets sold; jackpot hits $1.3 billion - LA Times
Old Jan 10th 2016, 6:40 am
Just Joined

I like the Massachusetts lottery, the revenue raised is distributed to local governments and they can spend it as they wish. It is also the only US lottery that offers subscriptions throughout the United States, including in the states that don’t have state lotteries. If you live in the US, check them out.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 6:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Why in heaven's name would I want to participate in a lottery that does not benefit my state? If I were to win, I would have to pay state tax to the state I live in as well as to the state that held the lottery.

Besides, there is a "general" lottery which is played by a number of states across the US. Why do you need one just for Christmas?
No, you only pay state income tax where you live, if your state had an income tax.
Old Jan 10th 2016, 11:04 am

No, you only pay state income tax where you live, if your state had an income tax.
Really? Is that how income tax works?
Old Jan 11th 2016, 9:04 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

I wont even play now. I do not need the headache of how to deal with that much money. After a better house and perhaps a corvette I likely would find myself living on 50K a year
Old Jan 11th 2016, 9:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

If I played and if I won the whole thing, I would see no need to keep it all:

1) Pay off car

2) Keep driving above car

3) Buy some land, build custom house. Including built in aquarium.

4) Do some travel.

Put enough away so I don't need to work and can live a modest but comfortable lifestyle.

Give the rest to a non-profit or 2 that do good deeds.
Old Jan 12th 2016, 1:13 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

I'd finance my own Presidential campaign if I won the Powerball and run as an Independent and become Trump and Cruz worst nightmare