Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Would you rather live in the UK or US (Telegraph Article)

Would you rather live in the UK or US (Telegraph Article)

Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:07 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you rather live in the UK or US (Telegraph Article)

Originally Posted by guest5234
Americans are so insular though, it is a lack of an exposure to other societies and cultures, I met so many who have never travelled outside of the USA in fifty years . America is one of the most insular societies I've ever encountered anywhere. And I'm not talking just about ghetto kids. Professors . . . parents . . . legislators. It's across the board. That is something you do not find to that extent in the rest of the world."
There's a world outside of America??

It is easy to forget.

My wife, having lived now in France and England, is astonished by some of the things her 'smart' friends and family come out with.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

I rarely have come across an American with an attitude that says "I'm having a bad day so I'm going to make yours bad too". (Yeah, OK, one or two airport staff were like that, but on the whole, most service industry workers are not - IMO)
not been to too many DMV or USCIS offices then?
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
I totally agree with this. Snobbery is a divinely British art. No other nation on earth has managed to perfect the art of summing up somebody's worth within five minutes of them opening their mouths.
but they sum you up by what you drive or the size of your house etc...but then again, it all depends on where you live, there was less of that up in Maine, unless you were in Portland.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:11 pm
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice

There's a world outside of America??

It is easy to forget.

My wife, having lived now in France and England, is astonished by some of the things her 'smart' friends and family come out with.

Well done you are one of the 0.4% that have actually travelled outside of the USA.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:12 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Well done you are one of the 0.4% that have actually travelled outside of the USA.
It's gotta be higher than 0.4%. Maybe 4%?

I keep telling people to go anywhere that requires a passport. Of course, we all need the time off work first!

(Yes I have been outside the US and cried when I had to leave London the first time)
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:15 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
but they sum you up by what you drive or the size of your house etc...but then again, it all depends on where you live, there was less of that up in Maine, unless you were in Portland.
I drive my '86 Lincoln Town Car and it frazzles their logic circuits.

"Is that.... is that his car? Is that, like, all he can afford? Or is it a joke? Or is he just being ironic? Didn't my grandad have a car like that? What the fluck?"
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:18 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

What percentage of Europeans have travelled outside of Europe? (Since North America and Europe are roughly the same size, it could be a comparison). Surely, there are many Europeans, who have never been outside of the european continent.

You can't really compare Brits going outside Britain, because the continent is only 20 odd miles away.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:22 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

On the other hand the US is not exclusively a unicultural nation, we are a melting pot so it IS possible to experience cultural influences from other countries without leaving this one..................

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for broadening horizons and getting out and seeing the rest of the world if you can.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:26 pm
Militant Ginger

Originally Posted by Mallory
What percentage of Europeans have travelled outside of Europe? (Since North America and Europe are roughly the same size, it could be a comparison). Surely, there are many Europeans, who have never been outside of the european continent.

You can't really compare Brits going outside Britain, because the continent is only 20 odd miles away.
For most of the chavs I encountered in Portsmouth, a day trip to Calais elevated them to the same position as Captain Cook, Christopher Colombus and Scott of the Antarctic.

But a LOT of Brits I know have never been outside Europe. I hadn't until I moved stateside.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:45 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
(Since North America and Europe are roughly the same size, it could be a comparison).
In terms of culture difference, Europe is much wider than the US.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:53 pm
Militant Ginger

Originally Posted by fatbrit
In terms of culture difference, Europe is much wider than the US.
Today, one of my Asian colleagues came in with his lunch - freeze-packed vacuum sealed mini-squids, sealed in plastic packages like sweeties.

MY eyes bulged.

So while I think your comment might have some validity (there's certainly more LANGUAGE diversity) I think you shouldn't ignore the 'WTF' potential of multicultural America.

Just as you figure you've got them figured out and penned in those neat stereotypes we Brits love so much - out come the zip-packed seafood.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:58 pm
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice

For most of the chavs I encountered in Portsmouth, a day trip to Calais elevated them to the same position as Captain Cook, Christopher Colombus and Scott of the Antarctic.

But a LOT of Brits I know have never been outside Europe. I hadn't until I moved stateside.
For any Americans reading "Europe is not a Country" and I am being serious.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:05 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Today, one of my Asian colleagues came in with his lunch - freeze-packed vacuum sealed mini-squids, sealed in plastic packages like sweeties.

MY eyes bulged.

So while I think your comment might have some validity (there's certainly more LANGUAGE diversity) I think you shouldn't ignore the 'WTF' potential of multicultural America.

Just as you figure you've got them figured out and penned in those neat stereotypes we Brits love so much - out come the zip-packed seafood.
America is diverse; it just ain't as diverse as Europe. They talk about co-cultures in America, but these are never dominant to your American culture except in the case of first generation immigrants. In Europe, your own culture far outweighs that of your European identity.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:05 pm
Militant Ginger

For any Americans reading "Europe is not a Country" and I am being serious.
Let's call it 'the United States of Europe.'

Then you get the picture.

Geographically, it's stupid to claim Brits are more well travelled considering they can cross into another country in a couple of hours. America is an enormous place and you can't fly 2000 miles west and still be in the same nation.

But comparing Europeans and Americans is slightly fairer.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:06 pm
Militant Ginger

Originally Posted by fatbrit
America is diverse; it just ain't as diverse as Europe. They talk about co-cultures in America, but these are never dominant to your American culture except in the case of first generation immigrants. In Europe, your own culture far outweighs that of your European identity.
I think that's fair enough. Again, you freak me out by writing a post I agree with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.