Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Would you rather live in the UK or US (Telegraph Article)

Would you rather live in the UK or US (Telegraph Article)

Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:49 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you rather live in the UK or US (Telegraph Article)

Originally Posted by USIMPORT
Have any of you been back to the UK recently? We have just returned from a 2 week trip. We are lucky enough to do this at least yearly and every time we arrive there we are struck by how much more lawless the streets are, how difficult it is to make even the simplest question understood by any one serving in shops or on the phone; and how much government intrusion there is into the lives of our family and friends. Taxes are really high, the health and safety rules are putting a lot of our friends who have small firms out of business with their regulations and overheads. There are now waiting lists to go onto waiting lists in hospitals, so that the administrators can say the official waiting lists aren't big. You can't leave anything in your car or it is 50/50 in places like London, Bristol or Manchester to name a few, that it would be there when you get back.
Well I've just come back from a two week trip to Britain as well, and I think the above is a load of old cobblers.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

USIMPORT will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by fatbrit
So...guessing here...you're a septic and he's a Brit. You lived in the UK but didn't enjoy it. Now you're out here, he fancies going back home but you're dead against it.
Actually both Brits. I am just a more positive person than him, he is a grass greener on the other side type! We still have a house in the UK and have a bolt hole if we needed it (and kick out the tenants!) but he was never happy there either. He hated giving up his guns when the ban came in, hated being told that we had to estimate and pay our VAT up front, when we were a 2 person company, hated.... well you get the idea!! Since he is in his 60's I made him become a septic as well, at least we can get him on Medicare if he gets any health problems! He had problems with the pledge though, and I think he said in Dog We Trust!!!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:57 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
aye, that's got to be a good one...and some really good tech type uni's in Maine, and even better nursing type places....so how's your hunt for another stint going?
The opportunities are starting to show in the job ads but nothing that fits yet. I chatted with my old HoD and she will be advertising two suitable posts in August, for 2009. So, not looking too bad but hopefully the spring rush will start soon.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:00 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

He had problems with the pledge though, and I think he said in Dog We Trust!!!
You can cross your fingers when doing the oath and pledge -- most of us do!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:03 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Well I've just come back from a two week trip to Britain as well, and I think the above is a load of old cobblers.
I live there and I can tell you it isn't like that. It just has it's fair share of losers, which the media dutifully picks up on and splashes all over the tabloids so you think you are living in AnBar Province.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

USIMPORT will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by elfman
Oh, so my 87 year old mother in law is lying to us when she says that her doctor is putting her on the reserve waiting list at the hosptial to have her accute pain treated, only another 1 year to go before getting on the proper list to begin her real wait then?

My brother in law didn't get his car broken into while it was parked in broad daylight in Westminster 3 times this year?

4 of our friends didn't end up closing up their small business because they couldn't afford to pay safety officers, write up assesments to stack a pallet, send staff on 5 day training courses to drive fork lift trucks, or pay their estimated VAT and taxes in advance of earning the money?

Marks and Spencers, Selfridges and Harrods didn't all announce over tannoys that pick pockets were working the stores and to be extra vigilant of handbags and wallets - my hearing must be failing me big time. Those people dressed like security officers and police walking around the shops and the streets in multiple groups of pairs must just be some kind of new English fancy dress tradition that I must have missed in the expat's Daily Mail. Ditto the homeless and drunk teens which have increased alarmingly as well.

Shop staff didn't misunderstand "I would like the Standard and a packet of tissues" and try and offer me stamps instead then. The phrase 'white toast' didn't result in quizzical looks from several members of hotel staff - must be my dreadful imagination at work again.

Which dimension of Britian were you visiting Elfman, I think I want to visit that one instead next time!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:26 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, so my 87 year old mother in law is lying to us when she says that her doctor is putting her on the reserve waiting list at the hosptial to have her accute pain treated, only another 1 year to go before getting on the proper list to begin her real wait then?

My brother in law didn't get his car broken into while it was parked in broad daylight in Westminster 3 times this year?

4 of our friends didn't end up closing up their small business because they couldn't afford to pay safety officers, write up assesments to stack a pallet, send staff on 5 day training courses to drive fork lift trucks, or pay their estimated VAT and taxes in advance of earning the money?

Marks and Spencers, Selfridges and Harrods didn't all announce over tannoys that pick pockets were working the stores and to be extra vigilant of handbags and wallets - my hearing must be failing me big time. Those people dressed like security officers and police walking around the shops and the streets in multiple groups of pairs must just be some kind of new English fancy dress tradition that I must have missed in the expat's Daily Mail. Ditto the homeless and drunk teens which have increased alarmingly as well.

Shop staff didn't misunderstand "I would like the Standard and a packet of tissues" and try and offer me stamps instead then. The phrase 'white toast' didn't result in quizzical looks from several members of hotel staff - must be my dreadful imagination at work again.

Which dimension of Britian were you visiting Elfman, I think I want to visit that one instead next time!
yeah, bits are shit, but the same happens all over the world, doesn't mean the whole country is shit because of it though...
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:40 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Marks and Spencers, Selfridges and Harrods didn't all announce over tannoys that pick pockets were working the stores and to be extra vigilant of handbags and wallets - my hearing must be failing me big time.
American businesses would refuse to make such an announcement because it might be bad for business. Head, meet sand. There are permanent signs in areas of Amsterdam warning against pickpockets (though the signs are only in Dutch, of course) -- can't see the same pragmatism working here.

American small businesses are failing not because they're being forced to take care of their workers, but because big companies are running the country and are breaking every law they can to get rich.

It's just variations on a theme.

I agree that Britain has a serious problem with binge drinking and teen pregnancy, but the US has its own issues like the crystal meth epidemic.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:45 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Will you EVER get it that it is not just about flucking houses?
It's not about the size of the house but it is about the possibility of owning one's own home before one retires. Not only is this a huge benefit to financial security, it's also about emotional security as well -- a place you can call your own.

If you had to rent forever in London, how would you feel? I'm not having a go -- I know how much it's home for you.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:49 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, so my 87 year old mother in law is lying to us when .....etc
One person's personal experience/anecdotes do not a shite country make.

Those people dressed like security officers and police walking around the shops and the streets in multiple groups of pairs must just be some kind of new English fancy dress tradition that I must have missed in the expat's Daily Mail!
aaah there we are

Scotland, actually.
Dumfries, Glasgow, and the Isle of Arran, to be precise. And it was fab.

Last edited by elfman; Jan 16th 2008 at 10:53 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 10:57 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
...If you had to rent forever in London, how would you feel? I'm not having a go -- I know how much it's home for you.
Do you seriously think that if I had to choose between staying in my owned house here and a rented flat in London I would take me even a nanosecond to decide?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:46 pm
Lapine Member

Do you seriously think that if I had to choose between staying in my owned house here and a rented flat in London I would take me even a nanosecond to decide?
Erm, no!

But some people want their own tiny pied-a-terre.... and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's not just about having a huge, new house -- it's about whether or not one could own even an efficiency (tiny flat.... usually in NYC.... don't know the British translation other than a bedsit?).

I'm still on the bottom part of the Maslow hierarchy. Security drives a lot of what I do, and I feel most secure in owning my own home. I can't imagine going back to renting long-term, and not because I am a snob, simply because it's a tiny shred of security.

Last edited by snowbunny; Jan 16th 2008 at 11:53 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Erm, no!

But some people want their own tiny pied-a-terre.... and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It's not just about having a huge, new house -- it's about whether or not one could own an even an efficiency (tiny flat.... usually in NYC.... don't know the British translation other than a bedsit?).

I'm still on the bottom part of the Maslow hierarchy. Security drives a lot of what I do, and I feel most secure in owning my own home. I can't imagine going back to renting long-term, and not because I am a snob, simply because it's a tiny shred of security.
Owning my own home is extremely important to me. Maybe it's because I was brought up in a rented house and it was my mother's dream to own her own home.

On the other hand...if you're not happy with your surroundings I don't suppose home ownership is that important.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 11:57 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
On the other hand...if you're not happy with your surroundings I don't suppose home ownership is that important.
I agree. We all have different priorities. Some people would be miserable with their surroundings if they couldn't paint the walls purple and others could have their very own mansion but be miserable due to lack of friends, family and familiarity around them.
Old Jan 17th 2008, 1:51 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Trouble is that rents go up, especially in London. By the time you reached retirement age, you would be priced out - unless you are extremely wealthy??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.