Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Would you rather live in the UK or US (Telegraph Article)

Would you rather live in the UK or US (Telegraph Article)

Old Jan 16th 2008, 7:33 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you rather live in the UK or US (Telegraph Article)

Originally Posted by dunroving
Even if the second part is true (and I don't believe it), the first part is more than enough to make a difference. Who cares how much a pint of milk costs if you can buy a house for $100,000? The UK housing market is creating a population of haves and have-nots, depending on whether you bought a house pre-boom. If you bought recently, milk or bread that's 5p cheaper isn't going to help any.
FFS why would I want to live in a castle in a desert if I could have a broom cupboard in London?

Will you EVER get it that it is not just about flucking houses?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 7:36 pm
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice

Oh aye, have to agree. But ... I think the difference between "cheaper" (ha!) and "more expensive" areas in the UK has narrowed a lot (i.e., there's hardly anywhere in the UK that's now "cheap"), whereas in the States, the difference in prices between NY/DC/SF, etc and NC/TN/MO, etc. is bigger. (In other words, you can still find a decent house cheaply in some states and towns in the US, whereas there's hardly such a thing in the UK).

I looked at a job in Sand Diego about 6 years ago and realized I'd either have to live in a shoebox or commute for over an hour. No thanks to either option ...
Agree on that, the average price of a house in the UK

Average Cost: £230,474
Detached: £353,096
Semi-detached: £206,054
Terraced: £183,410
Flat: £206,048

Somr people coming back after few years away are in for a shock.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 7:39 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guest5234
Agree on that, the average price of a house in the UK

Average Cost: £230,474
Detached: £353,096
Semi-detached: £206,054
Terraced: £183,410
Flat: £206,048

Somr people coming back after few years away are in for a shock.

A house is just a place where you sleep and store stuff. And most people own way more stuff than they need.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

USIMPORT will become famous soon enough

Have any of you been back to the UK recently? We have just returned from a 2 week trip. We are lucky enough to do this at least yearly and every time we arrive there we are struck by how much more lawless the streets are, how difficult it is to make even the simplest question understood by any one serving in shops or on the phone; and how much government intrusion there is into the lives of our family and friends. Taxes are really high, the health and safety rules are putting a lot of our friends who have small firms out of business with their regulations and overheads. There are now waiting lists to go onto waiting lists in hospitals, so that the administrators can say the official waiting lists aren't big. You can't leave anything in your car or it is 50/50 in places like London, Bristol or Manchester to name a few, that it would be there when you get back. My husband has always put on his rose coloured glasses when back in the UK and talks a lot about moving back, but even he this time said he didn't know if he could face that. Yes, I agree, we get sick and have no healthcare, we are going to pack the sick person in a crate and ship them home for treatment, but otherwise, I'm staying here in the US, where we can at least go out for a meal midweek and not have to have a damn good reason for doing it!
Old Jan 16th 2008, 7:52 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by USIMPORT
Have any of you been back to the UK recently? .........
You're an idiot.

The only thing that keeps me sane in this god forsaken place is my regular trips back home...
Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:07 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Have any of you been back to the UK recently? We have just returned from a 2 week trip. We are lucky enough to do this at least yearly and every time we arrive there we are struck by how much more lawless the streets are, how difficult it is to make even the simplest question understood by any one serving in shops or on the phone; and how much government intrusion there is into the lives of our family and friends. Taxes are really high, the health and safety rules are putting a lot of our friends who have small firms out of business with their regulations and overheads. There are now waiting lists to go onto waiting lists in hospitals, so that the administrators can say the official waiting lists aren't big. You can't leave anything in your car or it is 50/50 in places like London, Bristol or Manchester to name a few, that it would be there when you get back. My husband has always put on his rose coloured glasses when back in the UK and talks a lot about moving back, but even he this time said he didn't know if he could face that. Yes, I agree, we get sick and have no healthcare, we are going to pack the sick person in a crate and ship them home for treatment, but otherwise, I'm staying here in the US, where we can at least go out for a meal midweek and not have to have a damn good reason for doing it!
= major marital problems -- it's buried in the middle somewhere.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
You're an idiot.

The only thing that keeps me sane in this god forsaken place is my regular trips back home...
Yeah, I'd sell one of my kids (not really, well almost) for a trip home, I've been here 2 and half years and can't afford one.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:31 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by nethead
Yeah, I'd sell one of my kids (not really, well almost) for a trip home...........
I wonder whether it's possible to lease them out?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

USIMPORT will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Would you rather live in the UK or US (Telegraph Article)

Originally Posted by fatbrit
= major marital problems -- it's buried in the middle somewhere.
I agree, want him? Slight worn and and tatty around the edges??
Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:44 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, want him? Slight worn and and tatty around the edges??
So...guessing here...you're a septic and he's a Brit. You lived in the UK but didn't enjoy it. Now you're out here, he fancies going back home but you're dead against it.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 8:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Oh aye, have to agree. But ... I think the difference between "cheaper" (ha!) and "more expensive" areas in the UK has narrowed a lot (i.e., there's hardly anywhere in the UK that's now "cheap"), whereas in the States, the difference in prices between NY/DC/SF, etc and NC/TN/MO, etc. is bigger. (In other words, you can still find a decent house cheaply in some states and towns in the US, whereas there's hardly such a thing in the UK).
problem is, can you get a job in those areas...which is a big shame...we could have a mortgage that's half our rent for a 5 bedroom house with some land up in Maine in a nice area which would be a garage sized house down here in Mass...makes me cry
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:22 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

FFS why would I want to live in a castle in a desert if I could have a broom cupboard in London?

Will you EVER get it that it is not just about flucking houses?
What the heck did I do to p*ss you off?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:26 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
problem is, can you get a job in those areas...which is a big shame...we could have a mortgage that's half our rent for a 5 bedroom house with some land up in Maine in a nice area which would be a garage sized house down here in Mass...makes me cry
Good point ... that's one of the benefits of being in education ... there are schools all over ...
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder whether it's possible to lease them out?
Well I often think I could rent them out as the ultimate contraceptive
Old Jan 16th 2008, 9:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Good point ... that's one of the benefits of being in education ... there are schools all over ...
aye, that's got to be a good one...and some really good tech type uni's in Maine, and even better nursing type places....so how's your hunt for another stint going?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.