Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Would you rather live in the UK or US (Telegraph Article)

Would you rather live in the UK or US (Telegraph Article)

Old Jan 14th 2008, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

exexpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Would you rather live in the UK or US (Telegraph Article)

Originally Posted by elfman
UK consumer debt is more than double that of other Europen nations according to a report released today from Datamonitor. Excluding mortgages, the average Briton has £3,175 of debt, the equivalent of $6,040. The average European meanwhile owes just £1,558, or $2,964.

It should be noted however that these figures still pale in comparison to U.S. consumer debt, which, seasonally adjusted, reached $2.3 trillion in July, or $7,856 per American, more than $1,800 more than the average Briton.

http://www.yourcreditadvisor.com/blo...s_largest.html

Yes, and look at what our level of debt has the potential to do to our economy. Just because the UK's consumer debt is less per capita than ours is does not mean that the UK is immune to negative consequences resulting from its levels of consumer debt.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 4:48 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exexpat
Yes, and look at what our level of debt has the potential to do to our economy. Just because the UK's consumer debt is less per capita than ours is does not mean that the UK is immune to negative consequences resulting from its levels of consumer debt.
Speaking of which, my Dad sent me an article which said the average Brit consumer actually had more debt than American consumers. I can't find it to link to, so you'll just have to take my word for it!

Either way - a society that lives beyond it's means is screwed. That's one strong reason for a democrat back in the white house. At least they could balance the nation's cheque book.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
Speaking of which, my Dad sent me an article which said the average Brit consumer actually had more debt than American consumers. I can't find it to link to, so you'll just have to take my word for it!
It wouldn't surprise me either way to be honest; both countries have significant problems with consumer debt. It doesn't really matter which country has more. The levels are too high in both countries.

Either way - a society that lives beyond it's means is screwed. That's one strong reason for a democrat back in the white house. At least they could balance the nation's cheque book.
I agree, though I'm not optimistic that these Democrat candidates are up to the job. I wish Bill Clinton could run again; he was a fantastic president. This one is the pits; I have a "George W. Bush Out of Office Countdown" calendar on my desk at work. That's how eager I am for his term to be over!
Old Jan 14th 2008, 5:30 pm
LAH-DI-DAH.

jurassic will become famous soon enough

The link below is for a political mock-commercial. It will be offensive to those with a more positive view of the current administration so be warned before following the link.
http//blip.tv/file/520347
Old Jan 14th 2008, 6:07 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Even before the dollar fell against the pound, things were cheaper over here. We must not be buying the same things; I'm saving loads. Then again, I don't have to buy formula.

It's bound to be cheaper, your in Texas
Old Jan 14th 2008, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme
That's one strong reason for a democrat back in the white house. At least they could balance the nation's cheque book.
With their spending programmes? They'll need to crank up tax a helluva lot to increase spending and reduce the deficit at the same time. Also, they'll need to maintain control of the legislature as well; it's not just about the executive.

Also, plenty of Democratic presidents have presided over deficity increases.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
It's bound to be cheaper, your in Texas
Not everything is cheaper in Texas than it is other places; what makes you think it is?
Old Jan 14th 2008, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tableland
With their spending programmes? They'll need to crank up tax a helluva lot to increase spending and reduce the deficit at the same time. Also, they'll need to maintain control of the legislature as well; it's not just about the executive.

Also, plenty of Democratic presidents have presided over deficity increases.

People also need to remember that the Clinton administration and Congress balanced the budget while riding the dot.com boom, when we had lots of happy happy tax revenue and a nicely-growing economy. I can't wait for Bush to be out of here, though; only 372 days left. Not that I'm counting or anything.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 10:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not everything is cheaper in Texas than it is other places; what makes you think it is?
Cost of living in Texas is a chunk lower than in say Mass, NY, CA etc....so like I said, living in a cheaper state is bound to be cheaper than living in the UK.

For many, cost of living is relatively the same, all things equal out really, it's just a matter of having more crap to show for it or not at the end of the day.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 12:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob
Cost of living in Texas is a chunk lower than in say Mass, NY, CA etc....so like I said, living in a cheaper state is bound to be cheaper than living in the UK.

For many, cost of living is relatively the same, all things equal out really, it's just a matter of having more crap to show for it or not at the end of the day.
Houses are cheaper here, that's for sure...but there's not a huge difference in the price of things otherwise.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 6:36 pm
Militant Ginger

Roland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond reputeRoland Hulme has a reputation beyond repute

Houses are cheaper here, that's for sure...but there's not a huge difference in the price of things otherwise.
ExExpat's account's been deleted - before I got to yell at him for being full of shit.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 11:08 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Have a wild guess...go on ...a real stab in the dark.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 7:55 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Even if the second part is true (and I don't believe it), the first part is more than enough to make a difference. Who cares how much a pint of milk costs if you can buy a house for $100,000? The UK housing market is creating a population of haves and have-nots, depending on whether you bought a house pre-boom. If you bought recently, milk or bread that's 5p cheaper isn't going to help any.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Even if the second part is true (and I don't believe it), the first part is more than enough to make a difference. Who cares how much a pint of milk costs if you can buy a house for $100,000? The UK housing market is creating a population of haves and have-nots, depending on whether you bought a house pre-boom. If you bought recently, milk or bread that's 5p cheaper isn't going to help any.
Has to be said that some places in the States are the same re the housing, though. California in particular is a good example of a pre/post boom market.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 7:28 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Has to be said that some places in the States are the same re the housing, though. California in particular is a good example of a pre/post boom market.
Oh aye, have to agree. But ... I think the difference between "cheaper" (ha!) and "more expensive" areas in the UK has narrowed a lot (i.e., there's hardly anywhere in the UK that's now "cheap"), whereas in the States, the difference in prices between NY/DC/SF, etc and NC/TN/MO, etc. is bigger. (In other words, you can still find a decent house cheaply in some states and towns in the US, whereas there's hardly such a thing in the UK).

I looked at a job in Sand Diego about 6 years ago and realized I'd either have to live in a shoebox or commute for over an hour. No thanks to either option ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.