Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Would you rather live in the UK or US (Telegraph Article)

Would you rather live in the UK or US (Telegraph Article)

Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:27 pm
LAH-DI-DAH.

jurassic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Would you rather live in the UK or US (Telegraph Article)

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Does anyone really believe that the Shriners and the Masons are devil-worshippers and if so, that the US is doomed because of this?

Does the growing season refer to something besides the average-time-of-last-frost to average-time-of-first-frost?

I've actually experienced far worse gender discrimination in terms of "glass ceiling" in Canada, not the US, and it's supposed to be pretty rampant in the UK as well. If you mean "gender roles" as in boys can't be fashion models and women can't be .... Charlie the ginger gardener, then maybe.

The US is a representative democracy (we elect those who then cast the direct decisive votes) and a republic of a relatively weak federal government comprised of 50 states each with its own government. Probably the average American could use many refresher courses in history and government.

What are Judo-Christian values? wrestling with one's conscience?
I guess Im not getting this over very well,Judo-christian values and the present day ecologial crisis,the belief that man is superior to all others and he can exploit nature mercilessly for his survival.....not true,look whats happening to the world. Growing season,its an analogue for managers, ''grow your employees''. I dont think any one is on the same page so I guess I will just shut up,you values are those things that really matter to each of us,our ideas@beliefs,freedom to express our opinions,but hell if no ones understanding me.........o well.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:34 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by exexpat
I'm just speaking for myself here; I'm American, I lived in the UK for years, and I moved back to the USA last year.

My standard of living has improved immensely. I make almost twice as much money as what I did in the UK and nearly every living expense is cheaper except electricity and car insurance. I understand health expenses are an issue for many people, but my job provides excellent insurance at no cost to me.

My quality of life has also improved immensely, though I think a lot of that has to do with being close to my family again and not being treated like a second-class citizen because I'm a foreigner....y'know, just being around my own kind. I would never move back to the UK.

Overall I'm much happier here than I was in the UK, but I'm not British...so interpret all of that as you will.
Congrats and best of luck.
You basically named all the reasons I recall moving here for in the first place.
Lots more money and things.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 5:16 pm
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice

I'm just speaking for myself here; I'm American, I lived in the UK for years, and I moved back to the USA last year.

My standard of living has improved immensely. I make almost twice as much money as what I did in the UK and nearly every living expense is cheaper except electricity and car insurance. I understand health expenses are an issue for many people, but my job provides excellent insurance at no cost to me.

My quality of life has also improved immensely, though I think a lot of that has to do with being close to my family again and not being treated like a second-class citizen because I'm a foreigner....y'know, just being around my own kind. I would never move back to the UK.

Overall I'm much happier here than I was in the UK, but I'm not British...so interpret all of that as you will.
So has mine after returning to the UK
Old Jan 13th 2008, 7:49 pm
Account Closed

exexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Congrats and best of luck.
You basically named all the reasons I recall moving here for in the first place.
Lots more money and things.
That's not the reason I came back to the USA; that's just an extra benefit.

I came back here because I was sick of being so far away from my family, I hated the climate in the UK, I didn't like being a foreigner in a strange country, and overall I was just not happy there.

The article the OP posted spoke about living standards and quality of life in the UK vs in the USA, so I answered honestly and shared my own personal experiences. It's true that I make a lot more money over here. It's true that almost everything is cheaper. At least that's what I've found. That doesn't mean I think everyone should move here; quite the opposite really. If people are happy in the UK, they should stay there. The grass isn't always greener, and I know from personal experience that it's very difficult to feel completely at ease in a country that isn't your own.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 8:40 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

It's true that almost everything is cheaper.
that's partially because the dollar's in the toilet right now - but on our recent Christmas trip to Britain we were surprised to find that even with the crappy exchange rate a lot of stuff in supermarkets was about the same price in Britain and some things were significantly cheaper (baby formula was way cheaper over there).
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:24 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by elfman
that's partially because the dollar's in the toilet right now - but on our recent Christmas trip to Britain we were surprised to find that even with the crappy exchange rate a lot of stuff in supermarkets was about the same price in Britain and some things were significantly cheaper (baby formula was way cheaper over there).
Even before the dollar fell against the pound, things were cheaper over here. We must not be buying the same things; I'm saving loads. Then again, I don't have to buy formula.

Brits should enjoy the strong pound while it lasts; the pound has lost value against the dollar recently (was under $2 last I looked) and a lot of financial analysts feel that the pound will be the "dollar of 2008". Good thing I changed my money when the pound was ridiculously strong.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Seriously, folks. Whats to stop things getting so bad?
Really, what is there?
To name a few...
Stop the goverment pouring money into an unwinnable war.
Make a change in the interest rates.
Encourage businesses to keep jobs in this country (esp the car industry in MI).
Old Jan 14th 2008, 10:52 am
Banned

guest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really niceguest5234 is just really nice

Even before the dollar fell against the pound, things were cheaper over here. We must not be buying the same things; I'm saving loads. Then again, I don't have to buy formula.

Brits should enjoy the strong pound while it lasts; the pound has lost value against the dollar recently (was under $2 last I looked) and a lot of financial analysts feel that the pound will be the "dollar of 2008". Good thing I changed my money when the pound was ridiculously strong.

The USA economy is really going to struggle in the next few years the experts are saying, when I was on holiday a few years back the exchange rate was $1.24 to the pound, now it's $2 what does that tell you
Old Jan 14th 2008, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guest5234
The USA economy is really going to struggle in the next few years the experts are saying, when I was on holiday a few years back the exchange rate was $1.24 to the pound, now it's $2 what does that tell you
It tells me that the US deficit is very large and this deficit is reducing the dollar's value. Taxes have to go up or spending has to go down, or both.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

The last time it was 1.24 on the pound was in 1985. In more recent times, 2001/2002 saw it around 1.40 for most of the period, but generally speaking over the last 15 years or so it's been around 1.6 on the pound.

No denying the dollar is very weak at the mo, but it could be corrected as Tableland said - not sure when that might happen however; maybe after the elections....

Last edited by Dan725; Jan 14th 2008 at 2:28 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:23 pm
Account Closed

That tells me the British economy could see some bumps ahead too. The health of the US economy cannot be determined solely based on the exchange rate between the pound and the dollar. However, the pound is strong against multiple currencies...not just the dollar. This has the potential to create problems for the UK, but a more serious issue in the UK is the staggering amount of consumer debt. Once the housing bubble bursts (which it must, it's unsustainable), the credit crunch there will get much worse.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

Once the housing bubble bursts (which it must, it's unsustainable), the credit crunch there will get much worse.

There will not be a universal house market crash in the UK within the next few years. We might see some regional corrections, and some areas may well increase, but all we are seing at the moment is a slow-down at the rate of increase. This, in conjunction with the fact that there is much more demand then supply and low interest rates means the market will retain its value.

Much of the whining about a crash is created by those that blew all their money on depreciating assets in the good years and now want a crash so they can buy a house. But whining is all it is, and anyone waiting for a major crash is going to be waiting for a long, long time.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:16 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

a more serious issue in the UK is the staggering amount of consumer debt.
UK consumer debt is more than double that of other Europen nations according to a report released today from Datamonitor. Excluding mortgages, the average Briton has £3,175 of debt, the equivalent of $6,040. The average European meanwhile owes just £1,558, or $2,964.

It should be noted however that these figures still pale in comparison to U.S. consumer debt, which, seasonally adjusted, reached $2.3 trillion in July, or $7,856 per American, more than $1,800 more than the average Briton.

http://www.yourcreditadvisor.com/blo...s_largest.html
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:45 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
UK consumer debt is more than double that of other Europen nations according to a report released today from Datamonitor. Excluding mortgages, the average Briton has £3,175 of debt, the equivalent of $6,040. The average European meanwhile owes just £1,558, or $2,964.

It should be noted however that these figures still pale in comparison to U.S. consumer debt, which, seasonally adjusted, reached $2.3 trillion in July, or $7,856 per American, more than $1,800 more than the average Briton.

http://www.yourcreditadvisor.com/blo...s_largest.html
So the UK came in second to the US?
Old Jan 14th 2008, 4:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tableland
There will not be a universal house market crash in the UK within the next few years. We might see some regional corrections, and some areas may well increase, but all we are seing at the moment is a slow-down at the rate of increase. This, in conjunction with the fact that there is much more demand then supply and low interest rates means the market will retain its value.

Much of the whining about a crash is created by those that blew all their money on depreciating assets in the good years and now want a crash so they can buy a house. But whining is all it is, and anyone waiting for a major crash is going to be waiting for a long, long time.

I've seen some convincing arguments both in favor of and in opposition to the possibility of a house price crash. We'll just have to wait and see. As for me, I cashed out of the UK property market and made a great profit on the sale of my house, so I won't be affected either way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.