Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Would you rather live in the UK or US (Telegraph Article)

Would you rather live in the UK or US (Telegraph Article)

Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

sfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to allsfoley is a name known to all
Default Re: Would you rather live in the UK or US (Telegraph Article)

Originally Posted by Bob
you get that happening in parts of Mass too though, someparts of Milford are Brazilian drug gang madness, and Worcester is a hole, as is Lawrence and the dodgy end of JP etc...
Yes, in parts. The old mill areas near 495 are almost all a disaster. However they are a long way out of Boston.
But there are whole cities inside 128 (e.g. Newton MA) that are exceptionally safe, particularly considering their urban setting. And the murder rate (although i admit that affects very few) is way lower, particularly "murder by strangers in a robbery situation", despite the fact we DON'T have the death penalty.

Here in MA crime is concentrated in a few small areas. Its not like Houston where the risk of crime can change dramatically in a 2 block walk. I don't feel unsafe anywhere near Downtown/Midtown Boston, and the crime figures pretty much back that up. 95% of the "bad crimes" in Boston are in a small triangle 3 miles southwest of the city (and the part of JP you describe is part of that triangle). Even with that lunacy, Greater Boston's murder rate is similar to the UK as a whole, despite guns being semi-legal (which raises another point - I like the big sign at the state border on the pike that reminds people they will do a minimum of a year in jail for having an unlicensed gun in their car)

sf
Old Jan 31st 2008, 5:01 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
you get that happening in parts of Mass too though, someparts of Milford are Brazilian drug gang madness, and Worcester is a hole, as is Lawrence and the dodgy end of JP etc...
I'll second that...
Old Jan 31st 2008, 5:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sfoley
Yes, in parts. The old mill areas near 495 are almost all a disaster. However they are a long way out of Boston.
But there are whole cities inside 128 (e.g. Newton MA) that are exceptionally safe, particularly considering their urban setting. And the murder rate (although i admit that affects very few) is way lower, particularly "murder by strangers in a robbery situation", despite the fact we DON'T have the death penalty.
Newtons a pricey part to live in though, and that'll go towards most expensive neighbourhoods.

Something to think about, but the posh Natick mall, they average 5 sexual assaults a week, of which one is a rape.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

EnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud of
Red face Re: Would you rather live in the UK or US (Telegraph Article)

Hi All

Thanks for all your replies, and if anyone is from Massachusetts, please don't throw things, I bruise easily. But seriously, when any of us post about being unhappy where we are, we are likely in the midst of a bout of homesickness, and it doesn't mean we go round everyday going 'America suuuucks!' to everyone we meet. I was crying when I wrote that post, and though that is more frequent than I would like I do make an effort most of the time.
I'm all for chatting about the good and bad about things but it would be good if we could also, when we are 'correcting' what people say about a place, understand that people need to feel what they feel a bit too sometimes. I feel like its almost kind of a grieving process, and it didn't really kick in til later with me, as in the beginning I had all the excitement of getting married, and you think you'll only be homesick a little while!

The town I live in is Attleboro, Mass. I should say, I do like Boston, when I go there for a day I feel a little more like 'hey I live in America!' And there are parts of New England which are beautiful - I have been to Vermont in the fall, and the Cape, etc. But due to the no money, no car, no chance of moving situation am in Attleboro!

I pray one day we will move...I suggested further towards where he works in Providence (east side) but he said that would be a 'big move' for him......you would have been proud of me, I did not even MENTION the fact that moving from England to America is a SLIGHTLY BIGGER ONE!.....lol

In the last three years I have been diagnosed with diabetes (previously had an eating disorder for 15 years in the past so the two don't go together well...here, be obsessed with everything you eat every day again! Yay!) We lived in an apartment for the first five months that had mice, and I was sick for a lot of that time......so I think I had a bad start and didn't deal with it the way I might have if I was well. After three years I am starting to be a lot more proactive about getting the life I want, but its an uphill waddle (I'm English Tea Duck remember!)

I have had a couple of 'up things.....met an English lady who lives within walking distance and we plan to go out sometime -she camein as a customer at work and I gave her my number and said, if you have a day when 500 people say you're Austrailian call me!' And she did, and we've had lunch and got on well. So thats cool.

The other thing is that my boss (I work in a coffee shop) has said I can hang some of my art when they feature local artists there in March. So I feel like I am doing my 'work' over here a bit.

Sorry that was v long! Thanks for staying to the end...lol

Ruth x
Old Jan 31st 2008, 7:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EnglishTeaDuck
The town I live in is Attleboro, Mass...
That's not all that far south of me, and I think there's a few others that aren't that far away...have you checked the meetup.com for local groups? There's probably a couple around or not that far...I know my local one is fairly inactive though, but worth a shot
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

gisela will become famous soon enough

The UK of course! The people are much more civilized in the UK, and cultured, and they have a natural respect for others, and I am saying all that as a German who has lived 15 years in London and almost 20 in Louisiana.
On a pragmatic level, there is the National health in the UK. And nature and culture are easily accessible even if yoiu don't have a car or lots of money.
I am definitely thinking of going back to the UK.
gi
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

'lo... Late to the party again...

Posting now because I didn't post in January...

I've got to go with the US... The US is my home now. Having lived here for five years and experienced the problems of immigration, the only issue which I currently have with life in the US is the fact that most Americans can't drive. However, that is not enough of a reason for me to jump ship.

I currently have more issues hanging over from the UK than I currently experience in the US, so it's an easy choice.

Going to the quality of life versus standard of life, while I appreciate that the quality of life may well be better in the UK (with additional benefits and employee protection), the standard of life (atleast in my own experience) in the US is higher.

Going back to comment on this subject from some time ago... The grass may be greener on the other side of the fence, but there is more grass here!
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:18 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gisela
The UK of course! The people are much more civilized in the UK, and cultured, and they have a natural respect for others, and I am saying all that as a German who has lived 15 years in London and almost 20 in Louisiana.
On a pragmatic level, there is the National health in the UK. And nature and culture are easily accessible even if yoiu don't have a car or lots of money.
gi
I think the bold words are very telling.
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:20 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

gi
I agree with you there when comparing Louisiana to London. But come on...Louisiana?? That's like comparing a barn dance to a formal ball. You can't even get Americans to go to Louisiana. I did once...pre-Katrina New Orleans. It was okay to visit for a few days but there is no way I would choose to live there. The plus side is things are much less expensive in LA than London.
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:27 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I agree with you there when comparing Louisiana to London. But come on...Louisiana?? That's like comparing a barn dance to a formal ball. You can't even get Americans to go to Louisiana. I did once...pre-Katrina New Orleans. It was okay to visit for a few days but there is no way I would choose to live there. The plus side is things are much less expensive in LA than London.
Did you come home with any beads?
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

gisela will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
I think the bold words are very telling.
..don't know what you mean. i didn't put in the bold. must be the computer..g
Old May 2nd 2008, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

..don't know what you mean. i didn't put in the bold. must be the computer..g
Gisela, ABY bolded them for you.
Old May 2nd 2008, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon
'lo... Late to the party again...

Posting now because I didn't post in January...

I've got to go with the US... The US is my home now. Having lived here for five years and experienced the problems of immigration, the only issue which I currently have with life in the US is the fact that most Americans can't drive. However, that is not enough of a reason for me to jump ship.

I currently have more issues hanging over from the UK than I currently experience in the US, so it's an easy choice.

Going to the quality of life versus standard of life, while I appreciate that the quality of life may well be better in the UK (with additional benefits and employee protection), the standard of life (atleast in my own experience) in the US is higher.

Going back to comment on this subject from some time ago... The grass may be greener on the other side of the fence, but there is more grass here!
I probably have to agree with this.

And add that the life that would be available to me in the UK wouldn't touch the life available to me here. We wouldn't have access to the same quality of school, we wouldn't have access to the same standard of healthcare (even if it was free), we wouldn't be able to live in as nice an area with as nice a house, and we probably would struggle to get the jobs we have.

I'm sure that other people have different circumstances that would mean this wouldn't the case for them, and each to their own at the end of the day, this is mine.