Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The Worst President in History?

Wikiposts

The Worst President in History?

Old May 17th 2006, 2:38 am
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Worst President in History?

Originally Posted by Elvira
What gives Shrub the title is his sheer arrogance and smugness, which comes across in every single public statement he makes.
This is in addition to his utter incompetence and callousness, and looking out for his special interest groups and cronies, with complete disregard for the best interest of his country and its citizens, let alone all the other countries where he sees fit to interfere.
I couldn't have said it better My feelings exactly!!
Old May 17th 2006, 2:40 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Cool Re: The Worst President in History?

Originally Posted by User Name
But GW was re-elected, so clearly a majority of the voters did not think the same way at election time. I understand that GW is hated by many people, but he was re-elected. President Reagan was hated by many, but got re-elected, now he is held up by many as a good President. People marched against Reagan and called him a warmonger. Reagan did some deeply unpopular things. Being President is not a popularity contest.
Hatred of a politician is no bar to electoral success it seems. Many people hated Maggie Thatcher, but look at her success. If I had known what she was going to do to the UK I would have emigrated long ago.
Old May 17th 2006, 2:44 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desdemona
I couldn't have said it better My feelings exactly!!
Yes, for many it's all about "feelings".
Old May 17th 2006, 2:45 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

User Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond reputeUser Name has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
Hatred of a politician is no bar to electoral success it seems. Many people hated Maggie Thatcher, but look at her success. If I had known what she was going to do to the UK I would have emigrated long ago.
*nods* ... Maggie polarized the people, and GW Bush does the same.
Old May 17th 2006, 2:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

But GW was re-elected, so clearly a majority of the voters did not think the same way at election time. I understand that GW is hated by many people, but he was re-elected. President Reagan was hated by many, but got re-elected, now he is held up by many as a good President. People marched against Reagan and called him a warmonger. Reagan did some deeply unpopular things.
He was barely re-elected. And some think if there was a better opponent than Kerry, he wouldn't have been re-elected. Also, he was a shoe in to be re-elected because the conflict in Iraq had started (and probably won't end before he's out of office) So you'll have to use a better argument than he was "re-elected" You talk like it was a landslide victory.......
Old May 17th 2006, 2:53 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

*nods* ... Maggie polarized the people, and GW Bush does the same.
Now you're just taking the piss....
Old May 17th 2006, 3:10 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
He was barely re-elected. And some think if there was a better opponent than Kerry, he wouldn't have been re-elected. Also, he was a shoe in to be re-elected because the conflict in Iraq had started (and probably won't end before he's out of office) So you'll have to use a better argument than he was "re-elected" You talk like it was a landslide victory.......
Agreed, the margin of victory was not huge. But like in the UK, the winner takes all, and at the end of the day GW was re-elected by the people which does not support the contention that he is "The Worst President in History". I would expect that title to go to a one-term President that was hounded out of office. I am only familiar with the more recent Presidents, and while some were one term Presidents and one didn't complete his second term, I don't think any of them clearly fall into the category of "The Worst President in History", but some might say President Nixon is in that category, he was arguably hounded out of office, but during his second term and he did some positive things, his trip to China literally changed China. As it turns out Nixon revealed military intelligence to the top Chinese officials, Russian troop deployments, locations of Russian tactical nukes near the border, etc (even the CIA were not told about this transfer of very sensitive military intelligence to the Chinese government), some now say President Nixon turned China into a tacit ally, President Nixon's administration was deeply concerned by the perceived Red Bear. But this transfer of military intelligence did not come out until some time after the end of Nixon's administration. President Nixon arguably did an amazing thing, had Congress learned of what he had done, there would have been uproar.
Old May 17th 2006, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, the margin of victory was not huge. But like in the UK, the winner takes all, and at the end of the day GW was re-elected by the people which does not support the contention that he is "The Worst President in History". I would expect that title to go to a one-term President that was hounded out of office. I am only familiar with the more recent Presidents, and while some were one term Presidents and one didn't complete his second term, I don't think any of them clearly fall into the category of "The Worst President in History", but some might say President Nixon is in that category, he was arguably hounded out of office, but during his second term and he did some positive things, his trip to China literally changed China. As it turns out Nixon revealed military intelligence to the top Chinese officials, Russian troop deployments, locations of Russian tactical nukes near the border, etc (even the CIA were not told about this transfer of very sensitive military intelligence to the Chinese government), some now say President Nixon turned China into a tacit ally, President Nixon's administration was deeply concerned by the perceived Red Bear. But this transfer of military intelligence did not come out until some time after the end of Nixon's administration. President Nixon arguably did an amazing thing, had Congress learned of what he had done, there would have been uproar.

Ok, lets try this one, name some positives that GWB has accomplished in his years of dictatorship that would significantly outweigh his negatives.
Old May 17th 2006, 3:27 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Now you're just taking the piss....
Ninguna manera hosay.
Old May 17th 2006, 3:30 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toontje
You mean, the ones that didn't drown in 1953?
I would really hate to see the ones who DID drown in 1953. :scared:
Old May 17th 2006, 3:31 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Ninguna manera hosay.
So please tell us how Bush polarises the US?
Old May 17th 2006, 3:39 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
Ok, lets try this one, name some positives that GWB has accomplished in his years of dictatorship that would significantly outweigh his negatives.
As it see it right now, some serious mistakes have been made under GW's watch. Imho, the way Iraq was handled after the invasion stands out. That is such a serious error I don't think any of his positives outweighs what amounts to a strategic error. Imho, Iran is essentially in control of the south or will increasingly gain influence. This error (and letting it fester) is so inexcusable that it would have been MUCH BETTER never to have invaded Iraq. Now Iran's power is not checked by Iraq. One might say, that they don't play a good game of chess.

Last edited by User Name; May 17th 2006 at 5:22 am.
Old May 17th 2006, 3:39 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

So please tell us how Bush polarises the US?
You really don't know?
Old May 17th 2006, 3:41 am

You really don't know?
Enlighten me.
Old May 17th 2006, 3:42 am
Wind, earth, fire, water

Enlighten me.
Later ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.