Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

"work to live" vs "live to work"

"work to live" vs "live to work"

Old Apr 27th 2012, 3:10 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "work to live" vs "live to work"

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It would greatly depend on what I was actually doing. As a teacher, or a session/stand in player, I'd not have much stress. As a songwriter I'd have deadlines and the fact that I'm really not very good at writing songs bearing down on me
You have gone and replaced work with more work. I was thinking more along the lines of reading books and eating cake!
Old Apr 27th 2012, 3:12 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
You have gone and replaced work with more work. I was thinking more along the lines of reading books and eating cake!
If it was able to be done on my terms, it wouldn't be work. The only time something vocational like music becomes 'work' is when someone else sticks their neb in and makes it about them.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

elop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
But if you didn't have to work you wouldn't spend that time doing the same thing every day, you would be free to pursue whatever you wanted to.

I am sure there are some people who are genuinely happy to go to work every day and love what they do, I just haven't ever met a single one!
Really? I've met hundreds....to not meet any your encounters must be limited to those only on minimum wage. You've never met an actor, lawyer, CEO/CTO, doctor, inventor, entrepreneur??, the list goes on...

Some of these people, after 10 years or so (often less), can resign for the rest of the lives, and still have more money than the rest of us, but often they carry on...that's the difference between a job and a career - I'm even sure that their lives have ups and downs like everyone else, but generally they are happy with what they do. Money aside, there's music and art which some people do for free. I've been to many bars in London/Bristol with live music where the musicians are not getting paid any money.

I think the key is in your first paragraph: "...you would be free to pursue whatever you wanted to".......what if you're already doing what you wanted to?
Old Apr 27th 2012, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

elop is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Yes but if you were a professional musician you wouldn't have the pressure and stress of the day job as well would you..
say that to Kurt Cobain and Richey Edwards, to name a couple....perhaps a different kind of stress.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 3:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elop
say that to Kurt Cobain and Richey Edwards, to name a couple....perhaps a different kind of stress.
You missed my point...and I can't stand out in the parking lot any longer to explain
Old Apr 27th 2012, 3:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
You missed my point...and I can't stand out in the parking lot any longer to explain
Just the image of that, SM, is giving me a chuckle!
Old Apr 27th 2012, 3:30 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Is today "International Idiots Day"?
Yes Eb ... it most certainly seems that way.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

What! SOS didn't agree with you?
Old Apr 27th 2012, 3:36 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
What! SOS didn't agree with you?
Stop proving his point, dear.
Old Apr 27th 2012, 3:38 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

She can't help herself ... as soon as she puts finger to keyboard ...
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It's Plonkers' Friday.
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Old Apr 27th 2012, 3:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

She can't help herself ... as soon as she puts finger to keyboard ...
You know.... I see a lot of that around here, do you think its the site?
Old Apr 27th 2012, 3:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

It's too windy now..
Old Apr 27th 2012, 3:46 pm
Life goes on.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
It's Plonkers' Friday.
Morons' Monday ... Twatty Tuesday ... Wankers' Wednesday ... Thickos' Thursday ... Fukcwits' Friday ... Sadsacks' Saturday ... Simpletons' Sunday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.