Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Wonders of technology

Wonders of technology

Old Jul 10th 2013, 5:05 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wonders of technology

My wife has just called me on her cell phone to tell me she is going to turn it on it case I need to get in contact with her.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 5:28 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wonders of technology

Maybe you should suggest she turn it off again until you call her, to save the battery?
Old Jul 10th 2013, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

We have a cellphone we keep for visiting guests. My MIL has just left - she left us the phone but took the charger.

I'm curious to know what she plans to do with it once she's in the UK....
Old Jul 10th 2013, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a brand spanking new cell phone, moved, and now I have no signal
Old Jul 10th 2013, 11:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

The folks and the missus while we're at it, always have their phones with them, but usually either off or never charged up properly :/
Old Jul 11th 2013, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

My wife boarded a train at Penn to Philly which my m-i-l was already on, from Rhode Island. Wife tries to call her mum to find out which coach she's in - no connection. Searches train and eventually finds her.

Wife: "I thought you said you were bringing your cellphone with you, so I could find out where you were on the train."
M-i-L: "I did."
Wife: "Oh I tried calling you but couldn't get through."
M-i-L: "It's not turned on."
Wife: "Why?"
M-i-L: "I only turn it on if I need to make a call."
Old Jul 11th 2013, 2:06 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
..... the missus ...... or never charged up properly
That used to be Mrs P's favorite trick, her phone's battery was always flat, at least until she got a new phone last October. Now she has two spare batteries and a tray charger, so she pretty much always has one spare charged battery with her, and often two.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 12:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
My wife has just called me on her cell phone to tell me she is going to turn it on it case I need to get in contact with her.

LOL I truly understand your wife. Never turn on my cell unless I am driving a long distance. Drives everyone nuts but then again, I don't want to be within arm's reach of the world 24/7.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Rete
LOL I truly understand your wife. Never turn on my cell unless I am driving a long distance. Drives everyone nuts but then again, I don't want to be within arm's reach of the world 24/7.
I didn't have a cell phone until I got married. I used to enjoy being "off the net" and uncontactable by my mother!

Then Mrs P came along and was new to the UK, needed her own cell phone as a lifeline, and decided that she needed to be able to contact me. Ever since I have been mostly "connected", more so than ever since I got my first smart phone, 363 days ago!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 11th 2013 at 12:56 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Rete on this one. Mine is for long distance travel, but now that my car is older I try to remember to take the phone with me more often--that doesn't mean that the phone is turned on. I have PAYG so $70 will last me well over a year. My husband refuses to own one because he can't stand the things (he also can't take personal calls at work so in ten years of marriage I've only called him 3 times, due to medical emergencies). My husband is 42; I will soon be 41. Just learned to text the other year (what a pain that is). If someone needs to speak to me call my landline and leave a message and I will get back to you. When I've been in stores I have heard women answering the cell phone while using the bathroom! No one needs to be that connected. Then they don't wash their hands--beyond disgusting.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

What's a landline?

We've had cellphones for years now (started in the UK with my brick phone and it's just progressed!) Hubs worked for AT&T Wireless when we first arrived, so having a phone wasn't expensive. Of course now that he isn't working there, we spend the full amount (minus a very small 10% off bill for his work related stuff.) We are a very connected family!

I can't imagine answering my phone while I'm on the loo though...
Old Jul 11th 2013, 2:01 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
What's a landline?
It's one of those things that allow the telemarketers to get in touch with you.

Or in our case, the lesser of two evils when it comes to international calling, but it's also handy since our son is at home by himself when he's off school and has a tendency to either forget to charge his mobile, or piss us off to the point where we confiscate it.
Old Jul 11th 2013, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It's one of those things that allow the telemarketers to get in touch with you.

Or in our case, the lesser of two evils when it comes to international calling, but it's also handy since our son is at home by himself when he's off school and has a tendency to either forget to charge his mobile, or piss us off to the point where we confiscate it.
We bit the bullet a couple of years ago and ditched the landline (we were paying more tax on the damn thing than the actual line rental!) So granny came over from Scotland and wanted to buy DD her first cellphone... thanks, granny! Anyway, it hasn't been a big problem. Our daughter is still young enough that we don't have to reach her by phone too much, she's off to junior high this year, not our nearby school, but one quite a distance away, so will be glad she'll have her phone.

We just haven't missed the landline. Although my cell number has become the default for our bills...
Old Jul 11th 2013, 2:16 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
We bit the bullet a couple of years ago and ditched the landline (we were paying more tax on the damn thing than the actual line rental!) So granny came over from Scotland and wanted to buy DD her first cellphone... thanks, granny! Anyway, it hasn't been a big problem. Our daughter is still young enough that we don't have to reach her by phone too much, she's off to junior high this year, not our nearby school, but one quite a distance away, so will be glad she'll have her phone.

We just haven't missed the landline. Although my cell number has become the default for our bills...
Ours doesn't cost us much and occasionally gets used, so it stays for now which has the added benefit of our mobile numbers not being given out to those we don't want to have it
Old Jul 11th 2013, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Ours doesn't cost us much and occasionally gets used, so it stays for now which has the added benefit of our mobile numbers not being given out to those we don't want to have it
I don't have any problem with that, I don't get spam calls, and I don't answer the phone if I don't know the caller.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.