Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Window washing ......

Window washing ......

Old May 20th 2019, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Supplies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Window washing ......

Do brits still get their windows washed outside every month , my cousins over there have there’s washed every three weeks and most have Gardner’s too , my cousin. Says her window cleaner has a house 3 times the price of hers , and takes holidays abroad twice a year , I guess it’s a good business to be in over there .
Old May 20th 2019, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Floridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond reputeFloridablues has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Window washing ......

That was the norm prior to me moving to Florida some 16 years ago. Something I've never seen here or any home owner cleaning their own. guessing I've cleaned my own less than a dozen times. cannot recall many homes having lawn guys compared to here.
Old May 20th 2019, 11:52 pm
Bob
SUPER MODERATOR

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Screens and/or storm windows, means they usually don't get washed.

There is a local commercial company that does the occasional home, but instead of being a few bob to do, it's in the grand kind of range for a small home.
Old May 21st 2019, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute

We used to have a window cleaner in the UK. He charged about 15quid. He came every month. Over here the going rate is about $200. So we've never had them done. Labour costs are ludicrous in SoCal. I keep telling my kids to be electricians and plumbers, at $200 an hour.
Old May 21st 2019, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Marc_ely View Post
We used to have a window cleaner in the UK. He charged about 15quid. He came every month. Over here the going rate is about $200. So we've never had them done. Labour costs are ludicrous in SoCal. I keep telling my kids to be electricians and plumbers, at $200 an hour.
we have two millionaires in our family , both are plumbers , just wish they were my kids not distance relatives Lol
Old May 21st 2019, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I had my windows washed before selling my home last year; arranged by the realtor. The effect was magical! Price wasn't bad either; will be tracking him down to come to my new place, which has several hard-to-reach windows.
Old May 21st 2019, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

My parents have and still do use a window cleaning service. Same guy treats the neighborhood and surrounding area. Must be some window cleaner code for exclusivity.
Old May 22nd 2019, 2:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

In the US it is easier to wash windows when you have the new replacement windows that tilt in for easy washing both outside and inside regardless of what floor of the house you are on. I even had these windows when I lived in a high rise apartment building. I've have to admit to never doing windows monthly as I never saw the need for it. Once every quarter year was sufficient and still is. My sister in Florida uses her garden hose and the window washing solution that attached to hoses to do the outside of her windows, particularly on the upper floors. Claims they come out sparkling clean.
Old May 22nd 2019, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete View Post
In the US it is easier to wash windows when you have the new replacement windows that tilt in for easy washing both outside and inside regardless of what floor of the house you are on. I even had these windows when I lived in a high rise apartment building. I've have to admit to never doing windows monthly as I never saw the need for it. Once every quarter year was sufficient and still is. My sister in Florida uses her garden hose and the window washing solution that attached to hoses to do the outside of her windows, particularly on the upper floors. Claims they come out sparkling clean.

Inside windows , people use to say clean them with newspaper, then I read that doesn’t work like it use to as the ink used now is different from way back , not sure how true that is , also who has newspapers hanging around the house now a days .
Old May 22nd 2019, 3:00 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Supplies View Post

Inside windows , people use to say clean them with newspaper, then I read that doesn’t work like it use to as the ink used now is different from way back , not sure how true that is , also who has newspapers hanging around the house now a days .
Me!
Old May 22nd 2019, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

I do our inside windows 1-2 times a year, the inside windows never really get dirty. The outside windows are cleaned once a year by the management company of the building we live in, the outside get dirty quickly with dust and car soot, but no access to clean the outside ones being on an upper floor, so have to make do with the annual cleaning they do.
Old May 22nd 2019, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect some of this is a cultural thing (UK vs US). My old grannie used to get on her knees (arthritis and all...) every week and clean the 'stone' that served as the entrance threshold to the house (terraced house, front door directly on the street). That same grannie would iron underwear and bed sheets.

Part of the difference is weather-related. In CA, it typically doesn't rain at all from April through November, so your windows don't exactly get dirty. In other parts of the US, it rains so hard that the force of water probably does the job for you. In the UK, by comparison, you have a near-endless presence of 'drizzle' that is probably the worst for messing up your windows. Finally there's bug screens ... I won't open a window in the US that doesn't have a bug screen on it and bug screens do tend to make washing that much harder (removing bug screens is often an invitation to breaking them).